Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took My Haircut

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 03:00 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

A lot of you guys are clearly hesitant to sell your cars privately, and are paying an excessive amount to avoid the ordeal. Why not just sell it at the dealer on consignment then, and not take such a beating? In the OP's example he is at roughly $96,000 when you factor in the FL sales tax credit, but I suspect the dealer can move this car at about $120,000. If he had paid the customary 5% consignment fee, he'd be looking at $114,000 vs $96,000 which is a lot of tires and brakes!
Old 11-29-2017, 03:02 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The general point is valid, but I'm not sure about the math.

In my state, sales tax is 6%, paid by buyer. So if a $100K car is traded in, saving on the new car is $6K, so that justifies accepting $6K less on the trade-in. An additional amount can be credited towards convenience of trading in, and in my case around $5-10K. And if trading in helps get an allocation for a new GT3, some additional credit also, though in my case I expect that I could get the allocation anyway.

All things considered, I guess I'd accept $10-15K less on a trade in, as compared to private sale. I can see why others might accept a larger delta for trade in, so maybe the OP's deal doesn't look as bad based on these considerations, but of course a premise is that we're talking about trade in, not just selling to a dealer.
It's a function with both fixed (trade-in value) and variable components (value of time). $10k of my time may be $100k of your time.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:04 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dealer trade offers the opportunity to obtain an MSRP allocation for the new GT3. When you factor in sales tax credit, ease of transaction along with the MSRP on the new GT3, it’s worth it. I suspect the longer one holds the .1 GT3, the worse the values.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:09 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
A lot of you guys are clearly hesitant to sell your cars privately, and are paying an excessive amount to avoid the ordeal. Why not just sell it at the dealer on consignment then, and not take such a beating? In the OP's example he is at roughly $96,000 when you factor in the FL sales tax credit, but I suspect the dealer can move this car at about $120,000. If he had paid the customary 5% consignment fee, he'd be looking at $114,000 vs $96,000 which is a lot of tires and brakes!
I see your point, but a '14 on consignment, even with the 10 year finger follower extension and no Porsche CPO warranty I think would be tough private sale.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:12 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
I am paying MSRP $157,050 for the '18.
I disagree that you took a haircut then. They could have given you $25K more on the trade to make it $116K (which sounds about right considering track wear and tear ....and at 7,000 track miles there has to be wear and tear). Then put it on the top end of the new purchase as ADM. If this was the case, nobody would be criticizing your choice, as $25K ADM is the price to get into the game earlier....instead they would be bitching about ADM's
Now the dealer can say they sold it at MSRP, so they win.
Heck, you have the .2, so you win.
Winner-Winner-Winner-Chicken-Dinner
So this whole thread is MOOT!
Old 11-29-2017, 03:18 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I see your point, but a '14 on consignment, even with the 10 year finger follower extension and no Porsche CPO warranty I think would be tough private sale.
I have bought Porsches from dealers in the past that were on consignment vs being dealership inventory, and the sale was directly between the dealer and me, and CPO eligible ( I just paid the CPO fee).

In your case, Suncoast may not have been willing to let you consign the car with them instead of trade it. I just wanted to point out there is an additional option often available beyond private party sale and trade. Further, perhaps Suncoast made your MSRP allocation contingent upon your trading the 2014 in which case they could name their price.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,374 Likes on 2,488 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda

I disagree that you took a haircut then. They could have given you $25K more on the trade to make it $116K (which sounds about right considering track wear and tear ....and at 7,000 track miles there has to be wear and tear). Then put it on the top end of the new purchase as ADM. If this was the case, nobody would be criticizing your choice, as $25K ADM is the price to get into the game earlier....instead they would be bitching about ADM's
Now the dealer can say they sold it at MSRP, so they win.
Heck, you have the .2, so you win.
Winner-Winner-Winner-Chicken-Dinner
So this whole thread is MOOT!
... except that I don't agree with the premise of paying ADM on a GT3. They can be had at MSRP if people have patience, recognizing the Porsche creates the perception of scarcity by doling out allocations in little batches. I don't know of anyone who wanted a .1 GT3 who couldn't eventually get one. My impression is that Porsche metes out supply of these non-limited cars to meet the demand, no more and no less.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:25 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Thanks, Rob. Should be on the Primrose Ace tomorrow, docking in Jacksonville 12/12.
That is awesome. Great Christmas present!
Old 11-29-2017, 06:52 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

My first thought was “yikes!!” But a friend reminded me how there are now cars on their 3rd engine in 3 years... it’s hard to ask 6 figures for that type of car... Hopefully the new one is better!
Old 11-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Akunob

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

OK in the OP's case, the dealer knew the car's track history. I say considering the .2 GT3 at MSRP and the hassle-free transaction, the OP got a good deal. Enjoy the new car and don't look back!
Old 11-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
My first thought was “yikes!!” But a friend reminded me how there are now cars on their 3rd engine in 3 years... it’s hard to ask 6 figures for that type of car... Hopefully the new one is better!
You may not be aware that the 991.1 GT3 engine has a greatly extended warranty (10 years, 120K miles), so the engine situation with this car is actually a positive for its valuation. You can essentially track the crap out of the car for years, and if the engine blows, Porsche gives you a brand new latest-version of the engine for free.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Manifold
You may not be aware that the 991.1 GT3 engine has a greatly extended warranty (10 years, 120K miles), so the engine situation with this car is actually a positive for its valuation. You can essentially track the crap out of the car for years, and if the engine blows, Porsche gives you a brand new latest-version of the engine for free.
The 10 year is only for the finger follower, good luck for any other issue. PAG is not going to open that box.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
A lot of you guys are clearly hesitant to sell your cars privately, and are paying an excessive amount to avoid the ordeal. Why not just sell it at the dealer on consignment then, and not take such a beating?
Consigning has always seemed like the worst of both worlds to me. You still get low-balled by the dealer, have to deal with their shenanigans as they work the numbers in their favor for somebody else's trade-in on your consigned car. And in the meantime you still own it or are making payments on it, but do not have the use of it, and it is subject to the abuse of salesmen, lot jockeys, and disrespectful joyriders. And there are plenty of stories out there of ponzi-scheming exotic car dealers, so consigning is not without risk.

As to the OP and his deal, he effectively paid $25k over MSRP, but as others have stated a significant benefit was realized.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

The 10 year is only for the finger follower, good luck for any other issue. PAG is not going to open that box.
I seriously doubt that Porsche is going to deny replacement of any failed engine, provided that normal servicing was done. PDK prevents over-revs, so engine failure would presumably be linked to an engine defect, and it wouldn't necessarily be easy or in Porsche's interest to try to argue that such a defect was totally unrelated to the finger follower issue. As far as I know, all of the engines which had problems so far were replaced under warranty without Porsche going through such an exercise, and of course Porsche replaced all of the initial set of engines regardless of whether showed any problems at that point. Years of experience show that Porsche is standing behind these engines.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:12 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All as I say is congrats to the OP on his new .2.

Quick Reply: Took My Haircut