Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took My Haircut

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017 | 02:42 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I don't think a lot of buyers will have that same wishful perspective.
I don't think there is anything wishful about it. Let's say your engine throws a rod. They pop the covers and the finger followers are showing wear. Any reasonable person would conclude that one issue caused the other. And I think Porsche will recognize that. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 11-30-2017 | 02:48 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I don't think a lot of buyers will have that same wishful perspective.
Old 11-30-2017 | 03:49 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by robmypro
I don't think there is anything wishful about it. Let's say your engine throws a rod. They pop the covers and the finger followers are showing wear. Any reasonable person would conclude that one issue caused the other. And I think Porsche will recognize that. Just my opinion, of course.
Honestly from your example I would bet $ that they deny warranty. Why would porsche cover the entire motor if it cannot be proved that the FF issue caused the failure?
Ex: your piston cracks.. will that be covered by the extended FF warranty?

But! If, indeed Porsche did cover any and all issues relating to the engine, outside of factory warranty than it would be an incredible deal.
Old 11-30-2017 | 03:51 PM
Randy M
Drifting

The issue with the 991.1, the resale value of it, and potential purchasers of a used one is that you're at the mercy of Porsche to honor the warranty. There are many stories where Porsche has weaseled out of of fixing a car where they should have. This is solely why they have logging of revs through the DME, to use that information against their customer, establishing abuse or negligence in order to deny warranty. Back when I had my 997.2 there was the whole CL issue, coolant lines breaking loose over the rear tires etc. 996 IMS failures, and all of the trouble that Nick Murray went through that was catalogued through his you tube vids.

Those who know of these issues will question the integrity of the company and will ask themselves just how much faith should they have in Porsche to cover their butts if a 991.1 goes south on them. Will Porsche unequivocally cover this car for say... the 3rd owner?
Old 11-30-2017 | 04:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by Randy M
The issue with the 991.1, the resale value of it, and potential purchasers of a used one is that you're at the mercy of Porsche to honor the warranty. There are many stories where Porsche has weaseled out of of fixing a car where they should have. This is solely why they have logging of revs through the DME, to use that information against their customer, establishing abuse or negligence in order to deny warranty. Back when I had my 997.2 there was the whole CL issue, coolant lines breaking loose over the rear tires etc. 996 IMS failures, and all of the trouble that Nick Murray went through that was catalogued through his you tube vids.

Those who know of these issues will question the integrity of the company and will ask themselves just how much faith should they have in Porsche to cover their butts if a 991.1 goes south on them. Will Porsche unequivocally cover this car for say... the 3rd owner?
As far as I know, Porsche has taken car of every ailing 991.1 GT3 engine so far, usually by replacing it. I don't rely on Porsche to generally fix things outside the warranty, but I anticipate that they'll robustly cover the 991.1 GT3 engines. Their reputation is at stake, and they know word spreads fast via RL, the car media, etc. Would not look good for Porsche to send a delegation headed by Dr. Walliser himself to the US to meet with reps of 991 GT3/RS/R owners, make everyone happy by offering this extended warranted, and then try to deny warranty coverage by arguing about the details of failure modes.

Last edited by Manifold; 11-30-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-30-2017 | 04:39 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
As far as I know, Porsche has taken car of every ailing 991.1 GT3 engine so far, usually by replacing it. I don't rely on Porsche to generally fix things outside the warranty, but I anticipate that they'll robustly cover the 991.1 GT3 engines. Their reputation is at stake, and they know word spreads fast via RL, the car media, etc. Would not look good for Porsche to send a delegation headed by Dr. Walliser himself to the US to meet with reps of 991 GT3/RS/R owners, make everyone happy by offering this extended warranted, and then try to avoid denying warranty coverage by arguing about the details of failure modes.
It's been a debacle for certain. I just don't know if I'd have ultimate faith that they'll cover everything that they should because they haven't in the past. I don't want to single out Porsche as that would be unfair. This practice is common with all manufacturers. However, the profile of Porsche possessing the reputation of reliable performance vehicles requires a custodian approach to warranty concerns if they want to retain the prestige.
Old 11-30-2017 | 05:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
Thanks, Rob. Should be on the Primrose Ace tomorrow, docking in Jacksonville 12/12.
So Chin in January then to warm up for Winterfest?
congrats on the new car!
Old 11-30-2017 | 05:42 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So Chin in January then to warm up for Winterfest?
congrats on the new car!
Peter, Thanks.
Hope so , but the Feb. 48 Hours at Sebring in Advanced Solo May be the Silver Bullets' debut.
Old 11-30-2017 | 05:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

C'mon, make Winterfest happen!
Old 11-30-2017 | 06:23 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Honestly from your example I would bet $ that they deny warranty. Why would porsche cover the entire motor if it cannot be proved that the FF issue caused the failure?
Ex: your piston cracks.. will that be covered by the extended FF warranty?

But! If, indeed Porsche did cover any and all issues relating to the engine, outside of factory warranty than it would be an incredible deal.
they were very specific in that warranty only covered failures as a direct result of the finger-follower issue, they received the credit and PR from this and will undoubtedly replace quite a few engines, but they were specific to avoid being on the hook for other failures, and it will be hard to gather the same momentum/pressure through social media for a variety of disparate issues.
Old 12-01-2017 | 12:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
As far as I know, Porsche has taken car of every ailing 991.1 GT3 engine so far, usually by replacing it. I don't rely on Porsche to generally fix things outside the warranty, but I anticipate that they'll robustly cover the 991.1 GT3 engines. Their reputation is at stake, and they know word spreads fast via RL, the car media, etc. Would not look good for Porsche to send a delegation headed by Dr. Walliser himself to the US to meet with reps of 991 GT3/RS/R owners, make everyone happy by offering this extended warranted, and then try to deny warranty coverage by arguing about the details of failure modes.
Exactly.
Old 12-01-2017 | 12:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I will just say this. I heard a lot of talk about how Porsche would not meet us, not do anything, have lawyers in the room, etc. etc. etc. All negatives. In the end they did meet with us, were extremely gracious hosts, and stepped up way more than I had expected. After that experience my respect for Porsche and their people increased tenfold, and I was already a big fan going in. So what will happen if an engine goes and the FF are worn? I know what I think will happen, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Act accordingly.
Old 12-01-2017 | 01:06 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

I can't recall where the post is but I do know that mooty, posted up a list of all the problems from the 993 platform to 991 and Porsche did not take action to resolve any of those issues. IMS, coolant lines, etc..
Not sure why Porsche would treat this situation any differently when the warranty expires. As recently as a few weeks ago a major crash on the ring was caused by the coolant lines busting and caused a massive pile up of cars. I cannot see any for-profit company accepting this type of liability, outside of their obligated warranty window. -Specific FF issues aside.
Old 12-01-2017 | 01:14 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Not sure why Porsche would treat this situation any differently when the warranty expires. As recently as a few weeks ago a major crash on the ring was caused by the coolant lines busting and caused a massive pile up of cars. I cannot see any for-profit company accepting this type of liability, outside of their obligated warranty window.
I wouldn’t expect them to either. My impression from this thread is that they’re talking about while the warranty is still in place. The extended warranty is only for the valvetrain issues but the opinion is that any major engine issues will be taken care of under the assumption they’re possibly related.

Once the warranty is up, you’re on your own.
Old 12-01-2017 | 01:25 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I wouldn’t expect them to either. My impression from this thread is that they’re talking about while the warranty is still in place. The extended warranty is only for the valvetrain issues but the opinion is that any major engine issues will be taken care of under the assumption they’re possibly related.

Once the warranty is up, you’re on your own.
Agreed. While under the factory warranty they w should honor it. However, mention was made about tracking the car for the next 10 years and believing that Porsche would fix the motor outright, without concern. I don't believe this would be an accurate assumption. I can't see PAG taking a bath on motors, 7 years after factory warranty has expired.

Quick Reply: Took My Haircut