Sponsored by:

Dealer ADM's pushed 80's Porsche to try the Tesla model

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 01:12 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Given the fact that many of the ADM dealers are large premier dealerships that sell huge volumes of cars and SUVs, you think Porsche is gonna **** off its biggest buyers due to few hundred of us whiney GT customers with first world problems? Good luck getting them to do that. As long as all the cars gets sold, Porsche could care less.

Well said. The only ones who seem to think there is a dealer problem are guys on forums. Trust me, nobody else is losing sleep over it. PCNA is selling plenty of cars, and so are dealers. Things could not be better.

Now what model specific decisions PAG has made, that is another story.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,740 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Truth be told, no one (if they weren't punch drunk being a Rennlist keyboard warrior) would really want a car manufacturer -- Porsche, or whomever -- being in the car sales business.

The costs, and these are fixed, of running a car dealership -- just one, not even a nationwide network of dealerships -- in the United States are rather significant. A car dealserhip sits on multiple acres. Requires infrastructure for showrooms, service bays building, offices, etc. Then it will also need human capital to sell the cars, finance the cars, service the cars, etc. This ties up and requires a staggering amount of capital. Then let's not forget that there are at least 50 different sets of laws for employment, labor, HR, as well as financing and consumer disclosure requirements.

Tesla is now quickly coming to the conclusion that building a car is one thing, selling them and then servicing them in some 30 different jurisdictions is quite another.

I can't speak for other countries, but in the United States it's a lot easier to do behind a keyboard on Rennlist than it is in real life.

Oh, and let's not forget. If PAG was selling all the cars directly to you, how would you feel about paying MSRP for a bloated Panamera?
Old 11-24-2017, 06:41 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The model is to shift away from dealers and to vertically integrate with manufacturer owned retailers. You see this in many consumer areas. From soda bottlers to Apple stores to Rolex. Often there is a transition period where manufacturer stores co-exist with independent authorized retailers. This is the case, as I understand it, with Porsche in some European markets. The car dealer lobby was strong enough to maintain their niche by getting state laws passed to prevent this, but how long that lasts is anyone’s guess. Tesla thinks they can do it.

As far as whether it makes sense or not, it depends. There are five dealers within an hour of me. They all have different owners and compete (on price) against one another. Is that good for the dealers? Is it good for consumers? Maybe. But would a carmax style model where everything was fixed price based on data and free transfers of inventory serve the consumer better? Couldn’t the inventory (cars and parts) be managed better under common control? Standardized pricing of cars and service? There is a lot of ineffeciency in the current dealer model and my view is that it is only a matter of time before that changes. Whether it is the Tesla model or something else, I can’t see generations of people used to buying everything with one click online tolerating the current dealer model forever. And it is particularly bad with Porsche because there are a staggering number of models and options choices. Most manufacturers you basically pick a model, trim level, and a color. With Porsche, it is almost the case that no two are alike. No reason I should not be able to go through the configurator and instead of hitting send to dealer, hit send to factory and have my car built.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:02 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
I don't know if the Tesla model is the solution to ADM's but if I owned Porsche I'd be wondering why we're turning so many GT buyers away while making other 911's that have to be sold at a discount.
Excellent point!! Write a letter to PCNA cc PAG.

It does make some sense though to spread the brand because maybe those other buyers will step into another Porsche model as well and GT series car. Then again so do GT3 buyers.

Last edited by SToronto; 11-24-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Truth be told, no one (if they weren't punch drunk being a Rennlist keyboard warrior) would really want a car manufacturer -- Porsche, or whomever -- being in the car sales business.

The costs, and these are fixed, of running a car dealership -- just one, not even a nationwide network of dealerships -- in the United States are rather significant. A car dealserhip sits on multiple acres. Requires infrastructure for showrooms, service bays building, offices, etc. Then it will also need human capital to sell the cars, finance the cars, service the cars, etc. This ties up and requires a staggering amount of capital. Then let's not forget that there are at least 50 different sets of laws for employment, labor, HR, as well as financing and consumer disclosure requirements.

Tesla is now quickly coming to the conclusion that building a car is one thing, selling them and then servicing them in some 30 different jurisdictions is quite another.

I can't speak for other countries, but in the United States it's a lot easier to do behind a keyboard on Rennlist than it is in real life.

Oh, and let's not forget. If PAG was selling all the cars directly to you, how would you feel about paying MSRP for a bloated Panamera?

Some very valid points. Overall, the consumer benefits more often than not under the current franchise model.

Aside from the ADM drama, what is the issue with current dealer network??

One thing guys here always fail to realize is that PORSCHE is the real reason for scarcity. NOT DEALERS. Blame Porsche for the ADM drama.

Porsche going to own and operate 200 US dealers?? $10,000,000 investment each? Plus operate them? Think not. You would be paying more and get worse service trust me.

You ever pay an ADM on a Macan or Panny? NOPE. Why? Because Porsche does not limit their production numbers and shoves them down dealers throats. Buyers get discounts on 95% +++ of all Porsche purchases.

Production numbers are controlled by PAG. They are getting the result they want with the GT cars. It is working as intended. Blame them.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:44 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Porsche did not buy Stoddard Imported Cars in Willoughby, Ohio. The Porsche
/Piëch family bought it for the account of their family investment arm - Porsche
Holding
Salzburg in 1983. The Porsche family then let Mick Williams, ex-president
of PCA & a family friend they met via Porsche club activities, run the dealership. But
Stoddard was never incorporated into the Porsche car company, which at the time
I think was called Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche KG. In 2004, Bruce Schwartz bought
Stoddard Imported Cars from Porsche Holding Salzburg. In 2011, Roger Penske
bought Stoddard from B. Schwartz & Baker Porsche from Fred Baker & merged
them into Porsche of Beachwood at a suburb of Cleveland (not far from Willoughby).

In restructuring after the failed attempt at taking over the VW Group, the Porsche/Piëch
family gave up ownership of Porsche Holding Salzburg to the Volkswagen Group in 2011
as part of the arrangement in which Porsche Automobil Holding SE ended up with (initially)
50.7 percent of VW's common shares, while also 'merging' Porsche AG to VW. Porsche
Automobile Holding SE now owns 52.2 of VW after acquiring the VW shares of Suzuki in

We have previously discussed here at Rennlist Porsche's plan to replace its U.S. dealerships
with a new distribution network back in the early 1980's. Because I lived through that period
of history & knew Porsche dealers at the time, I often bring it up into our discussions to bring
current thinking into perspective with past history at Porsche!

Old 2014 Thread
RS buyers: Is your dealer making you sign a "right of first refusal buyback at MSRP"?
post #88
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12647610

Old 2015 Thread
Question for Actual 918 Buyers (Those w/ Deposits down)..
Post #16
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post11429806

Old 2017 thread
No Airfreight now
Post # 14
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14221904

Saludos & Happy Thanksgiving to our fellow Rennlisters,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Thanks for clarification on technical ownership Eduardo. The relationship was more about the parts side of the business and not on the front end of the business - selling of cars. Just to add a little for accuracy's sake, Bruce actually sold the dealership to Jerry Severin. Jerry in turn sold the dealership to the Penske Automotive Group. For more background on the connection between Stoddard and the Porsche AG, this from the Stoddard Parts website:

During 1983, after 28 years, Chuck relinquished control of the dealership. Because of his years of working closely with Porsche AG, SIC was purchased by the Porsche Factory to facilitate a significant worldwide expansion of the Stoddard support provided for older Porsche models: all 356, 911 and 912 through '73, 914, and non-current racing cars. Primary distribution was from Willoughby, Ohio and to Europe via a duty-free zone in Switzerland. Chuck Stoddard was retained for a transitional period over several years.

Cheers!

Last edited by brake dust; 11-24-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

BTW, which customer do you think Porsche values more, the guy that has the money and willingness to pay $25k over sticker for one of their cars or the guy who kicks and screams and is only willing to pay MSRP? As long as the cars get sold, I'm sure the former is more desirable and valuable to them.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,740 Likes on 5,127 Posts

BTW, which customer do you think Porsche values more, the guy that has the money and willingness to pay $25k over sticker for one of their cars or the guy who kicks and screams and is only willing to pay MSRP? As long as the cars get sold, I'm sure the former is more desirable and valuable to them.
Define "Porsche".

If by Porsche you mean Porsche A.G., it's irrelevant to them.

If by Porsche you mean your local dealership, then sure it's the former, but again this dynamic does not trickle up to A.G. It doesn't even trickle up to PCNA.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:07 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

What about the repeat customer who has purchased multiple cars and demands to pay MSRP, vs the one who just wants a gt3 and is willing to pay the dealer ADM to get one?
Old 11-24-2017, 04:02 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The question we should be asking is 'Why not both the MSRP guy and the ADM guy?'.

Seriously, if 10,000 people want GT3's and will pay you money then fuppin well make 10,000 cars?!

They have no excuse that stands up to any scrutiny.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What about the repeat customer who has purchased multiple cars and demands to pay MSRP, vs the one who just wants a gt3 and is willing to pay the dealer ADM to get one?
You’re assuming that the MSRP guy is going to buy more other P cars than the ADM guy. I think that’s a false assumption. ADM guy is just as likely to buy other cars. And may be likely to pay more for them.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You’re assuming that the MSRP guy is going to buy more other P cars than the ADM guy. I think that’s a false assumption. ADM guy is just as likely to buy other cars. And may be likely to pay more for them.
I'd be willing to bet that the person who does buy non-GT cars from the same dealer will be more vocal about wanting to their GT cars at MSRP than a guy who never bought a non-GT car and is willing to pay an ADM for a GT car (the more non-GT cars someone has bought the more vocal they'll be about getting GT cars at MSRP). I really have 3 big problems with what's going on today...

1. Dealers spec'ing their own cars to sell for ADMs (most of the spec'ed cars are dumb)
2. Dealers selling their GT allocations for ADMs to greedy stealers who want to mark up the cars more
3. Dealers who don't sell GT cars to their good customers at MSRP and treat them like out-of-town snipers who are dialing for cars

#2 and #3 **** me off the most.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Paid adm on my .1 gt3rs. Was my first porsche. Have my .2 gt3rs on “order” at msrp. Traded in my .1 for full msrp less adm. dealer specific reason for adm on first car was to avoid a flipper in their words. Since im going to be a repeat customer now to them they clearly said no adm moving forward. We will see if and when the .2 gt3rs is announced, ordered and hopefully delivered to me. If all works out I don’t see anything wrong ADM’ing a new “walk in”customer.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:06 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Thanks for clarification on technical ownership Eduardo.
The relationship was more about the parts side of the
business and not on the front end of the business - selling
of cars. Just to add a little for accuracy's sake, Bruce
actually sold the dealership to Jerry Severin. Jerry in turn
sold the dealership to the Penske Automotive Group. For
more background on the connection between Stoddard
and the Porsche AG, this from the Stoddard Parts website:

During 1983, after 28 years, Chuck relinquished control
of the dealership. Because of his years of working closely
with Porsche AG, SIC was purchased by the Porsche Factory
to facilitate a significant worldwide expansion of the Stoddard
support provided for older Porsche models: all 356, 911 and
912 through '73, 914, and non-current racing cars. Primary
distribution was from Willoughby, Ohio and to Europe via a
duty-free zone in Switzerland. Chuck Stoddard was retained
for a transitional period over several years.

Cheers!
SIC was purchased by the Porsche Factory
to facilitate a significant worldwide expansion
of the Stoddard support provided for older
Porsche models: all 356, 911 and 912 through '
73, 914, and non-current racing cars.

http://www.stoddard.com/aboutus

Purchased by the Porsche Factory? Not true,
regardless what it says on the current Stoddard
Parts website!

Exhibit A
'Schwartz, who originally purchased Stoddard Imported Cars
from Porsche Holding of Salzburg, Austria in 2004
', not PAG.

Exhibit B

http://carsyeah.com/ourportfolio/521-bruce-schwartz/

Exhibit C

I know well Brad Ripley, who worked in the Stoddard parts dept
in those early days (1970s/1980's) & eventually started NLA in
Reno (which is now owned by Bruce Schwartz). I can assure
you that Stoddard (the parts side of the business) was never
a separate group that was owned/managed/controlled by the
Porsche Factory even after 1983. They cooperated on 356
part reproduction projects, but there was no ownership by the
Porsche factory itself.

Exhibit D
'Just to add a little for accuracy's sake, Bruce
actually sold the dealership to Jerry Severin.
Jerry in turn sold the dealership to the Penske
Automotive Group.
'

I can believe it. But it must have been a very
short interim between Bruce's sale of SIC to
Jerry Severin & Roger Penske's purchase.
Even the current Stoddard Parts webpage
you quoted states the following:

"March 1, 2011 saw the sale of the Audi and
Porsche Automobile Franchises to the Penske
Automotive Group
".

As you can read from Bruce's press release dated
Feb 9th 2011 (Exhibit A), Severin's ownership had
to be a very short period of perhaps month(s). Or
perhaps Jerry Severin was only a front man for
Penske on that purchase! Tell us more about what
you know on this matter. Thanks.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 11-24-2017, 08:55 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

No they canÂ’t. I donÂ’t think youÂ’re very familiar with State dealer laws or Federal Antitrust law. Plenty of discussion on the topic in previous threads.
They can give allocations to any dealer they want however they want. No hyper aggressive ambulance chasing AG can force them to give them out as they wish.

Quick Reply: Dealer ADM's pushed 80's Porsche to try the Tesla model