Sponsored by:

Does Bose Matter in a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
lol how is autodim a must have? I €™ve literally never thought about ticking it. In hundreds of thousands of miles driven I €™ve never had a problem with hitting the mirror tab.
It's also the side mirrors. So I find it well worth the price.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:33 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Icutyou
Damn I have the opposite problem.
i don’t have auto dim and I find at night and evenings headlights are at the perfect level to blind me.
Wish I had that option.
Do you have to check this option to get the windshield wiper rain sensor or is that standard? I think that feature is convenient so you dont have to constantly change the settings or speed when it rains.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead32
Do you have to check this option to get the windshield wiper rain sensor or is that standard? I think that feature is convenient so you dont have to constantly change the settings or speed when it rains.
I have the rain sensing wiper so I think its standard as I don't see it as an option on my window sticker
Old 11-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
crazy maybe but here It s not legal because you cant hear others car/traffic/pedestrians around you
Not legal here in CA. It’s illegal to have any earplugs or earphones in both ears.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:07 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

I've had autodim and end up turning it off anyway. Makes it hard to see in the rear vision mirror. Want to know if it's a cop behind me.
How many GT3's actually get driven in the dark anyway? LOL
Old 11-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Far as I can tell the rain sensing wipers and the auto dimming mirrors are part and parcel to the same package.

If you don't get it, you'll still have intermittent wipers.

I'm torn on this one. I like the rain sensing wipers and I love the auto-dimming RVM but I DESPISE the auto-dimming side-mirrors. When they dim, they basically black out anything that isn't headlights. I've nearly lane-changed into cars in the Boxster because I couldn't see squat in them and the car has massive blind spots when shoulder checking.

The first time that happened scared the hell out of me. After that I got in the habit of turning the damned things off when I'm on a multi-lane highway at night.

I wish you could leave the RVM enabled and disable the sides.

Maybe the 911 isn't so bad since the visibility should be better.

All that said... I've checked the damned box because I apparently hate money.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:14 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the rain sensing wiper so I think its standard as I don't see it as an option on my window sticker
Rain sensor is not standard, its part of the auto dim mirror option for $700
Old 11-22-2017, 04:17 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Also wanted to add, if you desire using a windshield mounted radar detector you can use a mirror tap for power. W/O the auto dim mirror option you need to use a line to the fuse box. It is nice just to tap power right from the mirror.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by 0to60
Also wanted to add, if you desire using a windshield mounted radar detector you can use a mirror tap for power. W/O the auto dim mirror option you need to use a line to the fuse box. It is nice just to tap power right from the mirror.
I don't have a radar detector (illegal here) but I will have a dash cam. In the Boxster I ran a wire to the fuse box, which wasn't hard, but this sounds more convenient. Couldn't I also get one from the HomeLink/Lights gizmo that's up there too?

Does the mirror not have map lights on it even if you don't get the auto-dimming? Or are those on the roof in a GT3? I don't have any experience with a fixed-roof Porsche.

Edit: Now that I think about it... I think the map lights are on the Home Link thing in the Boxster too... it's my Jeep that has them in the mirror.

Last edited by Wild Weasel; 11-22-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-22-2017, 04:28 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Damn I have the opposite problem.
i donÂ’t have auto dim and I find at night and evenings headlights are at the perfect level to blind me.
Wish I had that option.
I guess, and I’m not saying it’s not nice to have I suppose. Just that I’d never consider it a “must have” in the strictest sense of the phrase.

As in dealer calls, they got a dealer build GT3 at MSRP, everything was the way you’d spec it...EXCEPT that option. Deal breaker?

Even assuming adding it later was impossible, and assuming you couldn’t flip it etc. if you buy you must drive and keep for years. Deal or no deal?

That’s what “must have” means to me, which really comes down to a very few things if any.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Must Haves:

Naturally Aspirated Engine.
Manual Transmission.
500 hp.
RWD.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:50 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
My Boxster had the Bose system. It was nice when I used it. Normally I'd just enjoy the sound of the car, but on a boring highway run I'd enjoy the stereo. I'm no audiophile. It sounded fine to me.

I have no idea whether it was worth what I spent on it. I've got no experience with the base system.

Can anyone here tell me whether it's worth it in a GT3? I mean... It's a Porsche. How bad can the base system be?? Is it really that big a difference? Will I regret not getting it? Is it an utterly pointless waste of money?

Since the GT3 is going to be a generally noisy car anyway, would I even be able to tell the difference between the base system and the Bose system??
For resale, yes.

At this price point I chose to select that tab.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:53 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Must Haves:

Manual Transmission.
500 hp.
RWD.
HAHA You win already!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

Must Haves:

Manual Transmission.
500 hp.
RWD.
Originally Posted by RealityGT
HAHA You win already!
Going to be an animal!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I guess, and I €™m not saying it €™s not nice to have I suppose. Just that I €™d never consider it a €śmust have €ť in the strictest sense of the phrase.

As in dealer calls, they got a dealer build GT3 at MSRP, everything was the way you €™d spec it...EXCEPT that option. Deal breaker?

Even assuming adding it later was impossible, and assuming you couldn €™t flip it etc. if you buy you must drive and keep for years. Deal or no deal?

That €™s what €śmust have €ť means to me, which really comes down to a very few things if any.
youre absolutely right. Definitely not a deal breaker.
but as listed above there’s almost no complete deal breakers except transmission preference and buckets versus non. At least I think?

i can’t deal with buckets so having them would be a deal breaker for me. Others would never consider a gt3 without them.

Different strokes! Get what you love etc etc. lol

and to above you’re absolutely right I checked and do not have rain sensing wipers. Switched cars a couple times yesterday and got confused lol

Quick Reply: Does Bose Matter in a GT3?