Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS looses coolant; causes 14-car wreck at the 'ring...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017 | 09:20 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Idiots in 996, 997 GT/turbo cars on track not fixing this.
Weird as it sounds, very few shops and people know about the coolant fail in Europe, or better, the fix.
Even those who know, don't talk a lot about it. Rennlist was actually the main source of reports on this problem (and the 991 gt3), but a LOT of folks don't speak English, neither bother hanging out on forums.

Nurburgring has so many rules, that they should be forbidden the entry of Metzger in the track unless they had a seal as proof that they had their coolant pipes at least checked or solved.

Or at the very minimum talk about this plague on their social media.

I wonder how much percentage of the crashes between 2007-2012 weren't caused by Porsches and how many got destroyed there.
I would bet that 90% of crashes that involved +3 cars were caused by coolant spilling from a Metzger.
Old 11-02-2017 | 10:32 AM
Mika911
Racer

I have both been victim to this in my own 996RS as well as driving behind a friend's 996TT, whose coolant pipe burst at the SX crest. Two following cars including myself just managed to stay on track. Bike following us didn't, with terrible consequences for rider and owner of TT. One of the reasons I have gone off TF. Lots of badly maintained cars on track. And in the event of a collision you are liable for damage and injury.
Old 11-02-2017 | 10:53 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by curtsm
All the Metzger engines are vulnerable.

- curt
Not the air cooled ones.
Old 11-02-2017 | 12:59 PM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
Originally Posted by Catorce View Post

This is just one in a long line of Porsche engineering disasters, from the company that brought you rubber centered clutch discs, exploding airboxes, the IMS bearing, 997 cooling lines, and burning 4.0s.

===============
u have been afround! i have had all those
and don tforget 993 wiring harness too
964 leaking block
997.1GT3 porous blocks

Ooooh, I forgot the leaky 964 blocks.....that was a bad one! Good list!
Old 11-02-2017 | 02:04 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
Not the air cooled ones.
You mean the oil-cooled ones? They can make for fun on track, too.

I had a nice "moment" in a '74 RSR 3.0 after a 934 put oil down in T2 at Laguna. Thank goodness for the red-and-yellow striped flags well before I got there—but even after letting off, it was a bit dicey. Had I been committed, not sure I would have had a prayer. In that lighting, I didn't see a thing on the pavement.
Old 11-02-2017 | 08:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by isv
While I definitely do agree with mooty and yourself the coolant hoses being glued are an obvious weak point, the odd thing is that here in the UK I've spoken to two different indys as well as Manthey and they all didn't seem to think the 7.2 was a problem compared to the 6(especially) and to a lesser extent the 7.1 and I find it a bit hard to figure out why it's seems so much more prevalent an issue in the US than Europe.
indeed i like to find out too.
and on the cup cars, they dont seem to have as much issue. i do not if re-glueing the is part of cup car maintenance schedule. it was not on my 996 cup of 997.1 cup manual.

very intrigued.
but since i have no data, i thought i just pin/weld my to be safe....
Old 11-03-2017 | 02:54 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by isv
While I definitely do agree with mooty and yourself the coolant hoses being glued are an obvious weak point, the odd thing is that here in the UK I've spoken to two different indys as well as Manthey and they all didn't seem to think the 7.2 was a problem compared to the 6(especially) and to a lesser extent the 7.1 and I find it a bit hard to figure out why it's seems so much more prevalent an issue in the US than Europe.
Is it temperature related? We often track in 40 C weather in California.

Quick Reply: GT3RS looses coolant; causes 14-car wreck at the 'ring...