Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991.2 GT3 Owners - First Impressions???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
It won't sound eons better in a Bose-equipped 991 neither....
...or worse?
JK!!

Nicest GT3 yet!

Old 11-10-2017, 08:57 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Question for all you manual owners who got their cars who have/had a GT4....

In terms of the gearing...are the gears shorter than the GT4 or the same?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:43 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Question for all you manual owners who got their cars who have/had a GT4....

In terms of the gearing...are the gears shorter than the GT4 or the same?
Still crazy long geared.

Have been debating the move from the GT4 to a .2 GT3 and my biggest hesitation is the gearing is still long. Whether its at 9k rpm or 8k rpm, both are tickets before you get out of second gear.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/979300-991-2-gt3-manual-gear-ratios-and-gear-speeds.html
Old 11-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Shivjeet
Can anyone please check and confirm the exhaust pressure difference between the left and right exhaust tip of the GT3? The right tip seems to have a higher pressure than the left.
I am puzzled. Why is this an issue for you?
Old 11-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Shivjeet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I am puzzled. Why is this an issue for you?
Makes me wonder if the valve on one side isn't opening properly maybe! Technically both the cylinder banks would generate equal amount of exhaust gas passing through the rear, right? Seems abnormal to me.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,289 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Still crazy long geared.

Have been debating the move from the GT4 to a .2 GT3 and my biggest hesitation is the gearing is still long. Whether its at 9k rpm or 8k rpm, both are tickets before you get out of second gear.....
I think the problem with the GT4 gearing is how it works with the torque curve - works fine on track when revs are kept up, but not as well on the road when a wider rev range is used.

The 991.1 GT3 gearing works well with its engine, and I bet there will be no issues with the 991.2 GT3.

Last edited by Manifold; 11-11-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:44 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

When people talk about gears being too long on a car like this, is that relative to its performance and potential, or are they pining for a ridiculous Miata experience where they can theoretically zing through 4th gear redline at reasonable (street) speeds? Because that would be asinine in a car like this IMO.

If you want to constantly ring it out and row mad gears, a base Boxster is overpowered but makes more sense than a GT3. It’s just not that kind of car and (thankfully) never will be.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:28 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok guys - its been a month since the last post. Any updates ??
Old 12-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
despite the relatively odd noises on the slow speeds. The car is an absolute pleasure to drive.
I still have my 991.1 c4s which i took for a drive recently, and i can feel the significant difference in the low end torque
And then again there is that difference in the car personality that is hard to describe
I still have less than a thousand miles on it, so i am not pushing the revs. Contrary to the manual advise i did pass the 4000 rpm few times but only up to 6000 or so.... And all very very very.. Nice. I hope it wont have any side effects. But the manual states 3000 km which is seemingly way too long.
Overall very happy
Old 12-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

After picking up from the dealer I put almost 600km on it in a day. Had a beautiful sunny day and in our region "winter is coming" or is actually here for some. I'm coming from a 991S and this is all together different. So much more response from both steering and engine. And as many have said, the sounds are amazing, both from the exhaust and overall mechanical sounds. This is not a touring car like the 991s which often felt like I was in a BMW or Audi on regular roads. In this car you know its something special. It has a lot less soundproofing material and gives you the race car impression with still being comfortable on the street. Even after 600km in the LWB seats my butt and back were not complaining, very comfortable. Can't wait for first DE days. I'm a little uncertain about all this talk about keeping the RPM's so low (below 4k) for so long. Mechanics at Porsche dealer said its ready to go from dealership. Pretty sure they test the launch control before delivery so this means high RPMs have already been hit on new cars. Just my view but understand that it won't hurt to start our slowly. Everyone enjoy your special car - no matter the colour or options they are all going to be amazing cars.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
i posted my thoughts here check it out!
ill be continuing to update as I rack up the miles and eventually track it. It’s my daily!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...mall-mods.html
Old 12-09-2017, 01:35 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
After picking up from the dealer I put almost 600km on it in a day. Had a beautiful sunny day and in our region "winter is coming" or is actually here for some. I'm coming from a 991S and this is all together different. So much more response from both steering and engine. And as many have said, the sounds are amazing, both from the exhaust and overall mechanical sounds. This is not a touring car like the 991s which often felt like I was in a BMW or Audi on regular roads. In this car you know its something special. It has a lot less soundproofing material and gives you the race car impression with still being comfortable on the street. Even after 600km in the LWB seats my butt and back were not complaining, very comfortable. Can't wait for first DE days. I'm a little uncertain about all this talk about keeping the RPM's so low (below 4k) for so long. Mechanics at Porsche dealer said its ready to go from dealership. Pretty sure they test the launch control before delivery so this means high RPMs have already been hit on new cars. Just my view but understand that it won't hurt to start our slowly. Everyone enjoy your special car - no matter the colour or options they are all going to be amazing cars.
They most definitely DO NOT test launch control at dealer.. and if you saw that happen to your car or someone else's there is a big problem! Enjoy your new ride!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Scott_997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1100 miles and counting this car is amazing on or off the track!!! Autoblipper is one of my favorite features. The manual gearbox is perfection!
Old 12-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked mine up Thursday night and have 100 miles on it so far:

The mechanical feel of the car is unlike any other car I have ever owned. It is worlds different than my 488... In fact, I'd argue the 488 feels more like a daily driver than the GT3. This might be because I have a more comfortable seat in my 488 (have regular leather seats in the 488 and race buckets in the GT3). But, either way, the buckets in the GT3 are incredible! I think it is a must have option. With that being said, if you have a bad back or legs I would definitely recommend trying them out before ordering them as they can be a pain to get into. As far as the noise and performance go they are both spot on. Though the car definitely feels slower than my 488, it still covers ground very quickly when it is up to speed. The way the car is able to swallow up curves is beyond me. Though I am new to GT cars, I have still driven a plethora of other performance cars and very few have given me the feel that the GT3 has. Every upshift and turn is a new adventure, and listening to the mechanical sounds the car makes is just amazing.

My only complain so far has been trying to get used to getting in and out of the car with the race buckets, but once you're in them they are extremely comfortable.

Bottom line, if you're thinking about getting one, get one. There is no substitute...
Old 12-09-2017, 05:40 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Good to hear! Some of the feedback was positive but "mild".....had me nervous.

Quick Reply: New 991.2 GT3 Owners - First Impressions???