Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991.2 GT3 Owners - First Impressions???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_997
Hi Jeff, I wanted to answer your question as best I can. As a point of reference I have had a 997.2 2010 GT3 I put on over 20,000 miles, a 991.1 2015 GT3 5,000. My current daily driver is a 997.2 GTS in manual.

How is it to drive?

I have about 100 miles on since Saturday! I haven't been to the track yet, but do have a few roads I do spirited driving on. I have never been one to worry about engine break in procedure but haven't been shifting at redline or anything like that. I could easily daily drive this car. The backup camera is the best I have had in any vehicle. I was reading some rennlisters saying the "the car is so loud you can't have a conversation" disagree completely. The chassis is smoother then the mk 1. Suspension is very smooth and intuitive with the pasm switched off. It is a fantastic experience that you just want to keep having. I don't care how many miles I put on it! I haven't felt like this in years!!!

How much different is it then the 991.1?

To me it is night and day. When you first see one, the exterior differences are striking, then the experience of getting behind the wheel with that 4.0 behind you..... I never formed an emotional attachment to my mk 1. If you know what your listening for the intake noise is breath taking. The wing is higher which means a little reduced visibility but who cares!? Looking back I felt my 991.1 was a mistake but it was a pathway to this car. Apple car play is great also, the car will read your text messages to you and you can reply without even touching your phone.

Is the manual what you hoped it would be?

I feel much closer to the car when I shift the gears, the engagement of the clutch and that pull or push of the shifter is what does it for me. The auto-blipper will take out all of the stress on the racetrack and gives you the best of both worlds in my opinion of the pdk and manual. Makes you feel like you're driving a 997.2 CUP!

The gearbox is PHENOMENAL! As direct and crisp as a 997.2 GT3, there is no play or slop in the shifter. The clutch is so easy and takes hardly any pressure. Can't wait try the new launch control feature.
I want to clarify the claim about having to shout to have a conversation because I am one of the people who made that claim.

At normal speed around town you will not notice the difference.

But believe me, when you get it out on track with a helmet on, you will have to talk a whole lot louder to your co-pilot than in a GT3.1. Indeed, all last week end, most of the students following the instructors kept saying that they could not hear the group instructor properly over the Walkie Talkie. Its loud inside.

Last edited by Chris3963; 11-07-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:29 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
there is a launch control feature on the manual???? !!!!!!
Pretty cool, but you better be fast on the 1st - 2nd shift!

Old 11-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Scott_997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I want to clarify the claim about having to shout to have a conversation because I am one of the people who made that claim.

At normal speed around town you will not notice the difference.

But believe me, when you get it out on track with a helmet on, you will have to talk a whole lot louder to your co-pilot than in a GT3.1. Indeed, all last week end, most of the students following the instructors kept saying that they could here the group instructor properly over the Walkie Talkie. Its loud inside.
I wasn't directing that towards you. I read somewhere else about normal driving, too much cabin noise etc. On the track this car will be total F'n mayhem in a controlled way! The stuff dreams are made of.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Scott_997
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Pretty cool, but you better be fast on the 1st - 2nd shift!

As soon as I get to 500 miles, (I'm 350 away) you better believe I'll be making a youtube video of a manual launch control for everyone. This feature was "launched" in the 997.1 GT2!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

No ****.. waddya know.. no magazine or YouTube video, at leastnobody yet that Iï¸ can think of has mentioned the existence of this. Did you find out by reading through your manual?? Regardless, thanks for posting.. cool find!!!
Old 11-06-2017, 10:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,039 Likes on 2,846 Posts

No ****.. waddya know.. no magazine or YouTube video, at leastnobody yet that Iï¸ can think of has mentioned the existence of this. Did you find out by reading through your manual?? Regardless, thanks for posting.. cool find!!!
If it launches anywhere near as hard as pdk, it’s worth trying. Did launch control in Leipzig and I wasn’t prepared for how hard it hits!
Old 11-07-2017, 02:54 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I just got back from a drive in mine and the only thing I can say is what an utter disappointment. Definitely not in the same league as the R with the unicorn magical suspension and special sauce the engineers cooked in. The new GT3 engine is no clear improvement on the original in the R.

Did I mention my R is for sale at only 2x the original MSRP?
Old 11-07-2017, 03:28 AM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
I just got back from a drive in mine and the only thing I can say is what an utter disappointment. Definitely not in the same league as the R with the unicorn magical suspension and special sauce the engineers cooked in. The new GT3 engine is no clear improvement on the original in the R.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:33 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

I wasn't directing that towards you. I read somewhere else about normal driving, too much cabin noise etc. On the track this car will be total F'n mayhem in a controlled way! The stuff dreams are made of.
Honestly, I did not think you were. Just clarifying my earlier statements thats all.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:59 AM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

As soon as I get to 500 miles, (I'm 350 away) you better believe I'll be making a youtube video of a manual launch control for everyone. This feature was "launched" in the 997.1 GT2!
Hey Scott,

Can you tell us something about how the steering feels compared to the 997.2 GT3 you had? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes
Old 11-07-2017, 12:51 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

😂ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Motion to lock the thread for a month and make the above quoted post a sticky.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:25 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
.1 but now you have to shout. So much so that I am going to go and research an intercom system.
Same story here.
I'd like a system that is not built into the helmet. But more like the F1 earpieces. That way I can change helmet but still use the same intercom system.

Have not found a solution like that up until now, only earpieces without a microphone.
So please keep me posted if you dig up something interesting.

Last edited by bccars; 11-07-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:21 AM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually, I would not sell the R even for twice MSRP. I did however give the GT3 back to the dealer. I’d rather it is driven by someone who really wants one. Hey, maybe you get lucky.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Scott_997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gauss
Hey Scott,

Can you tell us something about how the steering feels compared to the 997.2 GT3 you had? Thanks.
The steering is lighter but still has feel, I think what the engineers accomplished is they dialed in the feedback we want and took out what is not necessary. It is very transparent. I'm daily driving a 997.2 GTS and I can tell you it isn't a radical difference but a welcomed one.

Quick Reply: New 991.2 GT3 Owners - First Impressions???