SOS I NEED YOUR EXPERTISE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I guess I'll be the dissenting voice here (sort of) and say this: I wasn't all that into 991.1 Turbos after a lot of miles in them, but I was simply blown away by the goodness and polished dynamics of the 991.2 Turbo. I prefer MT to PDK, but the .2 Turbo was a perfect do-anything sports car. With similar seat time on similar desolate roads (and especially tighter ones), I found myself preferring it to the 991.1 GT3 RS—a first since the appearance of the GT3 line in the U.S. and a real shocker. The other surprise was that the .2 Turbo somehow felt a bit smaller and more wieldy than the .1 RS despite its greater weight and similar envelope. I suspect that's down to lessons learned with the dampers and steering calibrations, just as it was with Panamera GTS vs 4S the first time around (the GTS felt like it was six inches narrower when it really needed six inches less road through a fast bend). To me, and I can't believe I am writing this, the .2 Turbo was just a more usable car on fun back roads—with thrust accessed sooner out of turns on a back road and, as a result, more excitement than I expected. A very different tool, but a reaaaaaally good one.

But it's never easy, is it? The 991.1 RS remains the best track-day 911 Porsche has ever built. It's just plain amazing on track, yet very "dual purpose" in that it is shockingly comfortable on long freeway drives (the kind, you know, most of take to get TO the track). More visually exciting, too, and then there's the sound.

Not sure what you're after in terms of experience—less filtered driving experience with race-car looks and sounds (RS) or probably very similar (or better) actual performance in something quieter and more subtle, but you really can't lose with either of these 911s. Tough call, but maybe there's something above that helps. Good luck!

pete
The 991.2 Turbo S is evil good.

Which is why I'm sort of lusting after the Turbo S ES
Old 10-26-2017, 01:02 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Define fun on a weekend?

canyon driving: RS
drag racing: TTS
DE: RS
DE Cup: TTS
social events with PCA members: RS
social events with regular people: TTS
Optima Challenge: TTS
Road Rally: TTS
Attention Seeker: RS
1/2 mile events: TTS
1 mile events: TTS
Rain driving: TTS
Snow Driving: TTS
Comfy ride: TTS
Loud ride: RS
Threesome: TTS

I have both, and they are so different, yet one cannot replace the other. I would drop the Macan, get any super cheap minivan (all SUVs are minivans) and use the Macan money for the RS and keep the TTS. If too much of a stretch, trade TTS on RS and Macan on older (2014) TTS with 6y/100k warranty.

At a later time add a Cayman with a manual transmission, any cayman from base to GT4.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:13 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Define fun on a weekend?

Truth.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:25 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
This thread getting me excited

I will show myself out now.....
delete
Old 10-26-2017, 04:24 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How much track time do you do and how much experience do you have would have been my first two questions. .

Interestingly, of the four very good lady drivers that I know over this side of the pond - 1 drives an open wheeler, 1 drives a lotus, 1 drives a Cayman and 1 drives a STI. Three of these categorically prefer the nimbleness of mid-engined light - weight over anything else.

Food for thought
Old 10-26-2017, 04:36 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on your UV RS! Honestly, I can't see you being disappointed at all. The torque may not be the same, but it's no slouch in that department either! The sounds and ride will make it much more visceral. Also, if you for some reason don't care for it after some time behind the wheel, you could probably sell it for nearly the same as your purchase price, if not for more. Once you get it, let us know how you like it!
Old 10-26-2017, 09:56 AM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

It depends...
If you like to nap while you drive, then tts.
If, when you go to get ice cream, you order vanilla, get the tts. 😴
And yes, I've had both. And I wouldn't own a turbo again.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:39 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,425 Likes on 614 Posts

Our UV RS is our first 911.

Our only “negative surprise” was the realization that with LWB seats that do not articulate - all the space behind the seats is very difficult to access.

We took it to Treffen Asheville, and packed in smaller, soft duffel bags that could easily be shoved behind the seat (when in the forward position). Several smaller bags worked just fine - but we had never thought about accessing the storage space for travel. Of course we filled up the boot and had a few things that had to go behind the seats.

If your car has another type of seat: problem solved.

As for enjoyment - it’s definitely a harsher ride than the GT4 but is acceptable for the street. It depends somewhat on your physical condition and tolerance for a “buckboard” ride. Hubby has a very bad back and was able to enjoy the trip with more frequent stops so he could get out of the car for a few minutes. On the plus side - the extended range fuel tank is great! Less stopping for gas.

Everyone has different thresholds and what is a joyous ride and sound to one person may be excruciating to someone else.

It draws a ton of attention, especially in that color - so be ready to be photographed and have people approach.

We were unable to get it into one of the parking garages at the hotel even with nose raised. It’s low and depending on where you live and what your driveway is like - it can be tricky getting in/out of steeper access points. The good news is the chin spoiler is easily replaced if it gets chewed up.

For track I love my GT4 and it also is a better travel car with so much storage front and rear. But an RS is very special and you probably won’t be disappointed.

Good luck and looking forward to pics
Old 10-26-2017, 11:56 AM
someporschegirl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Awesome post pics when you get it!
I definitely will!!
Old 10-26-2017, 12:02 PM
someporschegirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChrisF
On second thought, GT2 RS. All the joy of a GT car with the shove (and then some) of the turbo
I wish!! But definitely won’t be able to get my hands on one. The dealer said that headoffice in Germany is delegating the cars to select 918 owners.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:04 PM
someporschegirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fxz
A girl that knows what a cage is??
They exist...lol :P
Old 10-26-2017, 12:34 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by someporschegirl
They exist...lol :P
^just like lady wheeler & instructor above.. "needmoregarage"
Old 10-26-2017, 12:41 PM
someporschegirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by A/S
Define fun on a weekend?

canyon driving: RS
drag racing: TTS
social events with PCA members: RS
social events with regular people: TTS
Optima Challenge: TTS
Road Rally: TTS
Attention Seeker: RS
1/2 mile events: TTS
1 mile events: TTS
Rain driving: TTS
Snow Driving: TTS
Comfy ride: TTS
Loud ride: RS
Threesome: TTS

I have both, and they are so different, yet one cannot replace the other. I would drop the Macan, get any super cheap minivan (all SUVs are minivans) and use the Macan money for the RS and keep the TTS. If too much of a stretch, trade TTS on RS and Macan on older (2014) TTS with 6y/100k warranty.

At a later time add a Cayman with a manual transmission, any cayman from base to GT4.

Thanks lol you have it all lined up for me

I don't need a minivan/suv (no kids) I just had the macan for utility use. If anyone here is ever thinking of getting one, I had a full techart exhaust in mine along with some other mods and it was a blast. Now having all the parts taken off for sale See pics, if interested
Attached Images     
Old 10-26-2017, 12:42 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by someporschegirl
I wish!! But definitely won’t be able to get my hands on one. The dealer said that headoffice in Germany is delegating the cars to select 918 owners.
Oh no you can get one, you just need a couple hundred thousands over MSRP, dealer in my area is supposedly getting one.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 PM
someporschegirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RealityGT
^just like lady wheeler & instructor above.. "needmoregarage"
Lol ohh yes, tell me about it! That's probably coming next

Quick Reply: SOS I NEED YOUR EXPERTISE!