Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current gen. 1 R8 owner, seriously kicking around the .2 GT3....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:51 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Gt3 should be better in every way
Old 10-18-2017, 01:54 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

OP i test drove the latest R8 v10 plus as i was thinking of upgrading from my .1 GT3. I stuck with the GT3, below explains why

Test drove the R8 v10 plus! The car is more comfortable, puts the power down better due to more traction / all wheel drive, very nice exterior / interior and the car is very refined **if i am being honest more refined than i would have liked**

I missed the GT3 raw feeling i get when i am in the GT3. Even when i am not pushing the GT3 (just cruising) i feel more of a connection to the car.

R8 v10 plus is a supercar that you can drive daily without a doubt, whereas the GT3 feels like a race car you feel it is built on the track to be used also on the road.

I choose rawness as well as driving pleasure over comfort and for this reason with no questions asked, i'd pick the GT3 over R8 on any day

PS i only drove the R8 for 45 minutes so the comparison is not the best but from the quick test, GT3 is more for me
Old 10-18-2017, 01:57 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I still have my gated v10, but I added a supercharger and it screams now. I had an UGR one too, but got an offer to sell it for significantly more than I could duplicate the car for and sold it. I also had GMG add JRZs to replace the failing magnetic ride as well as the leather buckets and cage.

For a daily or even road car, I prefer the R8. My GT3 and GT3RS are just another porsche to anyone other than car (porsche) people, so don't drink that koolaid.... No one cares about them, they are not weaving through traffic to take photos or come up to you at gas stations. I would venture to say the R8 gets as much attention as my Ford GT does.....its the only car I've come out to and had multiple phone numbers under the wiper on over the years....the sideblade is iconic.

If you want to track it, your r8 is great on the track. Get some 18" forgelines and you have a plethora of tires to choose from. The Gt3 is more nimble on track, no question, but the V10 motor is strong as is the DCT.

I vote to get both, but if you had to keep one long term, it would be the R8. Why not get the GT3, drive it, try it, and if you don't like it, let it go....you'll probably make a little or break even after tax. If you love it, then let the R8 go.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:03 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Simple. If you do trackdays, get the GT3. If you don't, keep the R8.

The GT3 needs trackdays or at least regular access to mountain or hilly roads to really shine. And in that setting it shines really REALLY bright ! The R8 offers everyday drama the GT3 doesn't, even when it's standing still.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:04 AM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
OP i test drove the latest R8 v10 plus as i was thinking of upgrading from my .1 GT3. I stuck with the GT3, below explains why

Test drove the R8 v10 plus! The car is more comfortable, puts the power down better due to more traction / all wheel drive, very nice exterior / interior and the car is very refined **if i am being honest more refined than i would have liked**

I missed the GT3 raw feeling i get when i am in the GT3. Even when i am not pushing the GT3 (just cruising) i feel more of a connection to the car.

R8 v10 plus is a supercar that you can drive daily without a doubt, whereas the GT3 feels like a race car you feel it is built on the track to be used also on the road.

I choose rawness as well as driving pleasure over comfort and for this reason with no questions asked, i'd pick the GT3 over R8 on any day

PS i only drove the R8 for 45 minutes so the comparison is not the best but from the quick test, GT3 is more for me
Exactly the same of what I experienced . I test drove a R8 v10 plus to upgrade from my GT3 , the experience is identical to the above and if I wanted a supercar that is comfortable to drive daily , I would go for the R8 definitely ....but nothing like the race car feel of the GT3
So far have not found a car that can satisfy my visceral sports car appetite like the 3 or within +10-20% of the price range
Old 10-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Simple. If you do trackdays, get the GT3. If you don't, keep the R8.

The GT3 needs trackdays or at least regular access to mountain or hilly roads to really shine. And in that setting it shines really REALLY bright ! The R8 offers everyday drama the GT3 doesn't, even when it's standing still.
Exactly what I was gonna say. My buddy (awaisrad) used to track his R8. Sold it for a 991 GT3 and NEVER looked back. R8 was twitchy on the track compared to the predictable GT3.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Gt3 should be better in every way

This
Old 10-19-2017, 11:51 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a first gen manual R8 V10, loved it. Great looking car with a great engine, but more of an event car, as parking is a pain, visibility is poor. I don't see them as direct competitors at all, if you can have both, do it.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:39 PM
ad2330
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
I had a first gen manual R8 V10, loved it. Great looking car with a great engine, but more of an event car, as parking is a pain, visibility is poor. I don't see them as direct competitors at all, if you can have both, do it.

Unfortunately not an option..

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards moving on to the GT3. It just seems like more of a sports car experience which is what I'm after. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the R8, but it's the exotic car that I knew it was when buying. I'm sort of ready for that more 'under the radar' type car that I can drive a bit more often.

Having said that, going for Miami Blue won't exactly fly under the radar...
Old 10-19-2017, 01:06 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the R8 V10+ Coupe and R8 V10 Spyer in an Audi driving event few months ago.

I felt the R8 can be as comfortable and quiet as an A4 if you want to.
It can also be a Huracan Jr. The Audi refinement is still there even if you turn everything to sport.

In short, comparing to the GT3, R8 feels more like a supercar, less like a race car.
It is more for the look, sound and straight line, less for the lightweight, raw driving feel and track times.

If I can only have one, I'd take the GT3, it feels unique.
Don't pass the allocation..... If you do, pass it to me
Old 10-19-2017, 04:40 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It'd be a real tough call for me to pick between a fully loaded new R8 V10+ and same deal .2 GT3.

Sense of occasion, the R8 would win. It's so low slung and uncommon and with those laser lights something to behold.

.2 GT3 is timeless on the staid side relatively speaking. R8 design would get usurped by the next version of it, but that NA V10 would remain a stalwart. Toss up, man.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 PM
ad2330
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
It'd be a real tough call for me to pick between a fully loaded new R8 V10+ and same deal .2 GT3.

Sense of occasion, the R8 would win. It's so low slung and uncommon and with those laser lights something to behold.

.2 GT3 is timeless on the staid side relatively speaking. R8 design would get usurped by the next version of it, but that NA V10 would remain a stalwart. Toss up, man.

Couldn’t agree more! I’m torn...

a few of the car for some context:

Old 10-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have both, GT3RS (not quite the .2 but similar) and my Audi which I just acquired but have owned a stocker in the past. Different cars and my R8 is on roids, but I would say you'll enjoy the GT3 as a change of pace to what your in, but what your in is fantastic. I view these things as trade offs....you won't lose either way. Name:  IMG_0009.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  170.1 KB
Old 10-20-2017, 12:27 AM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Had a gen 1 R8 6 speed which was a great car.

For street driving I would pick the R8 as you get the fantastic gated 6 speed, its very comfortable, has a great stereo (with B&O option) and has a sense of drama.

On the track the GT3 is way better -- so much sharper, you can really work the weight shift, and its significantly faster.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:30 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

R8 should be compared to the Turbo (or R8 Plus to the Turbo S).

Cross-shopping an R8 to the GT3 would lead to a garage filled with regret.

Quick Reply: Current gen. 1 R8 owner, seriously kicking around the .2 GT3....