Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Questions before my GT3 delivery next week?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 04:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Wrapping is for those that are **** about their car. It is a total waste of money. Drive the car and enjoy it. Freaking out over paint nics and blemishes detracts from the driving experience.
Come on man, that is an absolutist statement which doesn’t take any facts into consideration, let alone preference. Here is an example I’d like to use as rebuttal: if you spend $1500 on pff for your front bumper and hood, and after a few years it looks ****ty so you take it off.. your car is perfect underneath. If you go to the track, or really drive your car, you would have ended up with some not insignificant dings and scratches.

If you LIKE your car peppered with marks all over it, then you’re in the rare few.. why don’t you just shoot it with pellets when you buy it on day one? But if you don’t like it marked up, getting it repainted properly will cost you considerably more than that original clear bra, not to mention that if you want to sell it, it will sit at the bottom of the list of similar cars.

With soft water-based paints today, clearbra has become almost a must.. why are you so anathema to it?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Come on man, that is an absolutist statement which doesn’t take any facts into consideration, let alone preference. Here is an example I’d like to use as rebuttal: if you spend $1500 on pff for your front bumper and hood, and after a few years it looks ****ty so you take it off.. your car is perfect underneath. If you go to the track, or really drive your car, you would have ended up with some not insignificant dings and scratches.

If you LIKE your car peppered with marks all over it, then you’re in the rare few.. why don’t you just shoot it with pellets when you buy it on day one? But if you don’t like it marked up, getting it repainted properly will cost you considerably more than that original clear bra, not to mention that if you want to sell it, it will sit at the bottom of the list of similar cars.

With soft water-based paints today, clearbra has become almost a must.. why are you so anathema to it?
Fair question.

Good paint shops can redo the front and other areas for a fraction of the cost of a wrap. In resale, I have found that buyers don't care whether its wrapped or not. They focus on miles, prior accidents and service records.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:59 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Fair question.

Good paint shops can redo the front and other areas for a fraction of the cost of a wrap. In resale, I have found that buyers don't care whether its wrapped or not. They focus on miles, prior accidents and service records.
Any paint “respray” will negatively affect the resale price of the car way more than the clear bra cost.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Any paint “respray” will negatively affect the resale price of the car way more than the clear bra cost.
I failed to mention that wraps also get nicked and are affected by sunlight.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I failed to mention that wraps also get nicked and are affected by sunlight.
Yes it PPF takes the abuse rather than your paint. Lot cheaper to re wrap an affected area then re spray. I have 5 year old xpel in great shape. The wrap is actually self healing. The low angle/height of a 911 front end is so easily damaged.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:37 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Fair question.

Front bumper/hood/fenders and rear wheel arches for <2k? I would be skeptical of that work.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

tangential subject matter.. check out this before and after "paint correction" black 911.. truly enormous difference. Now, if you pff that car.. you'll never have to deal with those subtle paint scratches again.. the car stays perfectly shiny each time you drive it. The pff coating doesn't show scratches, is self-healing.. and keeps your car looking super shiny with just a basic wash.. this is the holy grail, and for me, the reason why pff should basically be standard on cars delivered from the factory today.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I prefer Suntek but my advice is to go see the different films in person and check the installer work (preferably on a car the same color as yours).
Old 10-11-2017, 09:58 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

what area on the car do most wrap? The front fender, bumper, hood? Never wrapped any of my cars, but am thinking about this one when it comes in. I also never bought a brand new gt3 before, so I do think its a worth wild minimal cost
Old 10-12-2017, 12:51 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
what area on the car do most wrap? The front fender, bumper, hood? Never wrapped any of my cars, but am thinking about this one when it comes in. I also never bought a brand new gt3 before, so I do think its a worth wild minimal cost
Front bumper, entire front hood, front fenders, and both mirrors would be the bare minimum I would have wrapped in ppf.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:21 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by fskof
Front bumper, entire front hood, front fenders, and both mirrors would be the bare minimum I would have wrapped in ppf.
That and rear bumper corners, and side rockers. I had entire job done here in Bay Area which is easily most expensive in the world it seems, with suntek for $1400.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:38 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
That and rear bumper corners, and side rockers. I had entire job done here in Bay Area which is easily most expensive in the world it seems, with suntek for $1400.
I’m a big fan of film to protect the finish (and resale), though that’s like half the cost I’ve seen in other markets.

I’ve never had paint correction but am curious about the pricing for this service prior to film installation. The video you posted was pretty convincing, particularly with black or any dark color. Perhaps optional with white?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:26 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Do not let anyone ever wash the car. That is what causes the little scratches.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:26 AM
Med Man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do cars not come protected form the factory?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

thats another question, We moved to the charlotte area (just over the boarder in lake wylie) and never had well water. So we do not was our truck or e class and ML at the house, just too much calcium in the water, even with the softener. So i will have to come up with some system to attach to the hose to eliminate this issue. Would hard water affect the wrap?

Quick Reply: 3 Questions before my GT3 delivery next week?