Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Questions before my GT3 delivery next week?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
That and rear bumper corners, and side rockers. I had entire job done here in Bay Area which is easily most expensive in the world it seems, with suntek for $1400.
$1400 for all that? That is less than half what most charge for that amount of work.

FWIW, good bump shops can duplicate the factory paint without any variance. To do a front bump area would cost around $1300 and very few if any could tell it was done.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 734 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by FRZA
Good news is that my shipping vessel (Adriatic Highway) should be docking Houston tomorrow. Expecting the car delivered to me next week. I have three questions.

1) Opinions and feedback on the Xpel stealth film on the whole car (Black body + matte black wheels / red lips)?

2) Should I get the exterior prepped from a professional detailing shop vs the dealer? I am thinking of asking the dealer to not even take off the protective plastic film.

3) Is it a good idea to buy the extended warranty? I never bought one on my base 911, eleven years ago. Never had any issues.

Anything else I should consider?
1. Matte films are much trickier to install, coverage wise, than glossy ppf. Reason being, with matte, you're trying to wrap over every glossy surface, so installer knowledge and technique is key. It's a very fun way to change the appearance, while adding protection, and knowing if you get bored of it, you can go back to original paint.

2. PLEASE refrain from letting dealer do any washing or prep...most aren't qualified to wash the cars, let a lone detail them. With newer porsche paints being softer, you already have some issues to deal with from factory, no need for more.

3. If you plan on keeping the car for more than 3 years, good investment

Originally Posted by Maverick787
My opinion only if youre going to keep the car get some protection. However, if like most less than two years total waste because most of these cars are well cared for so trading in short period zero return. Ive seen so many resales with less than 4000 miles and the car is flawless. My Spyder had full front wrap two car covers and two sets of mats, and I was the receiver of a perfect car.
The point here is, it's to keep the car looking great for YOUR enjoyment...should have nothing to do with next owner. For some, seeing paint with swirls and rock chips takes away from the ownership experience of a $100+K car. It should be done to protect and preserve the appearance of a fine automobile for the pleasure of the owner.

Originally Posted by Nick
Wrapping is for those that are **** about their car. It is a total waste of money. Drive the car and enjoy it. Freaking out over paint nics and blemishes detracts from the driving experience.
To each his own...these are too nice of cars to just drive around and let them get beat up by rock chips, careless other drivers, swirls and scratches, etc.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Husaberg44
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Front bumper, entire front hood, front fenders, and both mirrors would be the bare minimum I would have wrapped in ppf.
Do you have any recommendations in SE Wisco for a Xpel Shop?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:05 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

$1400 for all that? That is less than half what most charge for that amount of work.

FWIW, good bump shops can duplicate the factory paint without any variance. To do a front bump area would cost around $1300 and very few if any could tell it was done.
€œInvisiguard clearbra€ in Belmont, installer named Jeremy. 5 stars on yelp, one of those from me.

Last edited by CAlexio; 10-12-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:24 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dougr743
what area on the car do most wrap? The front fender, bumper, hood? Never wrapped any of my cars, but am thinking about this one when it comes in. I also never bought a brand new gt3 before, so I do think its a worth wild minimal cost
Our Moderate level, includes full hood, full fenders, front bumper, headlights, foglights, and rear bumper edge is the minimum most our clients do. It provides excellent coverage of the most impacted areas...next level up would include a-pillars, the two black strips on the roof, and full rockers coming up on the sides to replace the factory stone guards,
Old 10-12-2017, 01:53 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am wrapping the entire car, it is a must for me, Xpel Ultimate. Just as important choose the shop wisely, Moe is one of the top shops for this task. His prices are not cheap, but his work reflects high end skill, his comments are wise and on point. I am in Southern Nevada and loyal to a NY shop, Detailing dynamics, Eddie and Matt. I feel they are the best in the Country. The level of high skilled work is so important to me that I ship my cars X Country to get it right.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Any paint “respray” will negatively affect the resale price of the car way more than the clear bra cost.
Yeah, that's just not true. As long as the work is done properly and there wasn't any accident damage, it's a non-issue. Parroted Internet nonsense. Just like the oft repeated claim 'you'll never match the paint', which is also total nonsense.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:11 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Disagree. Every trade of high end cars, dealer walks around car with a paint meter. They know what was resprayed and calculate against the trade. People spending 150K on a pre owned car do not want a respray. Also non metallics cannot be as easily matched as a metallic paint, thats a fact. Just don’t get how people spend 200K on a car and then refuse to protect it. Years ago the clear bra was yellowing and seams all over. Todays Xpel and suntek are almost impossible to detect if the job is done correctly. Penny wise pound foolish sums it up.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:03 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yeah, that's just not true. As long as the work is done properly and there wasn't any accident damage, it's a non-issue. Parroted Internet nonsense. Just like the oft repeated claim 'you'll never match the paint', which is also total nonsense.
Since the thread is titled 3 Questions, let’s put this in context of that beautiful used Spyder you just purchased:

1. Would you have bought your used spyder recently if it had been resprayed?

2. Would you have bought it at the same price as another identical one which was pristine?

3. Lastly, if one had rock chips, and one didn’t.. would you choose the one with rock chips at same price or the one with perfect paint?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:25 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

Paint is a no-no. Most high end buyers have a paint depth meter. It creates a story, where does it start, stop and WHY.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Since the thread is titled 3 Questions, let€™s put this in context of that beautiful used Spyder you just purchased:

1. Would you have bought your used spyder recently if it had been resprayed?

2. Would you have bought it at the same price as another identical one which was pristine?

3. Lastly, if one had rock chips, and one didn€™t.. would you choose the one with rock chips at same price or the one with perfect paint?
Respraying is never an issue so long as it does not involve an accident. Savvy buyers aren't at all concern with blemishes. Its price, overall appearance and service history.

BTW, have you ever seen a wrap that has a nick or several of them? Just dreadful.

Look the car is designed to be driven. If you're going to freak or stress out over every pebble hitting the undercarriage or front, these cars are not for you. That said, if you're keeping the car for several years and like the feel of washing and waxing over plastic then a wrap may be the way to go.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Fair question.

Good paint shops can redo the front and other areas for a fraction of the cost of a wrap. In resale, I have found that buyers don't care whether its wrapped or not. They focus on miles, prior accidents and service records.
Not true at all...and I'm the owner of one of the highest end collision centers in Michigan. We refinish cars of this caliber daily. If you think stripping a hood, bumper, fenders, and a-pillars, fixing all the road rash, epoxy priming everything, priming, painting, clear coating, wet sanding and polishing the finish, then reinstalling everything is cheaper than $1500, you're way off.

I drive my 2015 GT3 nearly every day. I have 15800 miles on it with a full clear wrap on the front clip. To this day, the front end is near perfect. It would have been trashed and road blasted had I not had this on the car.

To your disposition...why even wash a car???

And you're correct...people are concerned with accident damage more than anything when attempting to sell the car. So if the front end was all peppered up, it's acceptable? If one has the entire front end repaired and painted, then try to tell a potential buyer that they only refinished the front clip due to road rash, nearly half the potential buyers nowadays believe that there was likely an even greater need to repair/refinish the car than what most sellers admit to. In other words, they actually believe that there was a minor or moderate accident which created a need to repair vs. a discretionary move.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:18 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
Not true at all...and I'm the owner of one of the highest end collision centers in Michigan. We refinish cars of this caliber daily. If you think stripping a hood, bumper, fenders, and a-pillars, fixing all the road rash, epoxy priming everything, priming, painting, clear coating, wet sanding and polishing the finish, then reinstalling everything is cheaper than $1500, you're way off.

I drive my 2015 GT3 nearly every day. I have 15800 miles on it with a full clear wrap on the front clip. To this day, the front end is near perfect. It would have been trashed and road blasted had I not had this on the car.

To your disposition...why even wash a car???

And you're correct...people are concerned with accident damage more than anything when attempting to sell the car. So if the front end was all peppered up, it's acceptable? If one has the entire front end repaired and painted, then try to tell a potential buyer that they only refinished the front clip due to road rash, nearly half the potential buyers nowadays believe that there was likely an even greater need to repair/refinish the car than what most sellers admit to. In other words, they actually believe that there was a minor or moderate accident which created a need to repair vs. a discretionary move.
+1...on point all around. Porsche owners are known to be OCD in the automotive industry. We think that's a great thing.

With film technology so advanced now days, the aesthetics argument is getting tougher to justify.

But, we must understand...what's right for one person, doesn't mean it's the best option for another. That's why we still have some clients, getting fewer and fewer, that prefer not to clear bra their cars.

Bottom line, when time for resale, a pristine car with clear bra protection WILL likely fetch more than one without clear bra that has stone chips, or one that has no clear bra, but has a repaint. That's just a fact. Most 2nd-owner buyers, don't want to buy a blemished Porsche when they know another one that's well-cared for can be had for an incremental increase in cost.

But personal CHOICE doesn't mean it's always the PRUDENT choice...we must respect one's choice to simply drive a car and enjoy it for what it is, even if flaws come with that experience...life's too short to fret...but we must also not avoid the facts that when prevention is possible, it IS the right choice for someone who wants to pamper and care for their exotic car in a manner that enhances his/her ownership experience.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
+1...on point all around. Porsche owners are known to be OCD in the automotive industry. We think that's a great thing.

With film technology so advanced now days, the aesthetics argument is getting tougher to justify.

But, we must understand...what's right for one person, doesn't mean it's the best option for another. That's why we still have some clients, getting fewer and fewer, that prefer not to clear bra their cars.

Bottom line, when time for resale, a pristine car with clear bra protection WILL likely fetch more than one without clear bra that has stone chips, or one that has no clear bra, but has a repaint. That's just a fact. Most 2nd-owner buyers, don't want to buy a blemished Porsche when they know another one that's well-cared for can be had for an incremental increase in cost.

But personal CHOICE doesn't mean it's always the PRUDENT choice...we must respect one's choice to simply drive a car and enjoy it for what it is, even if flaws come with that experience...life's too short to fret...but we must also not avoid the facts that when prevention is possible, it IS the right choice for someone who wants to pamper and care for their exotic car in a manner that enhances his/her ownership experience.
Quite frankly...I am almost ironically the opposite. I had much of my car clear wrapped because I am just too damn lazy wanting to constantly attempt to taking care of the car vs. driving it. The clear wrap made ownership easier.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:43 AM
Shrevehorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRZA
Good news is that my shipping vessel (Adriatic Highway) should be docking Houston tomorrow. Expecting the car delivered to me next week. I have three questions.

1) Opinions and feedback on the Xpel stealth film on the whole car (Black body + matte black wheels / red lips)?

2) Should I get the exterior prepped from a professional detailing shop vs the dealer? I am thinking of asking the dealer to not even take off the protective plastic film.

3) Is it a good idea to buy the extended warranty? I never bought one on my base 911, eleven years ago. Never had any issues.

Anything else I should consider?
My GT3 is on the same ship.

Quick Reply: 3 Questions before my GT3 delivery next week?