Sponsored by:

Sage advice sought - from GT3.2 guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
After 5000km with my .2GT3 I can honestly say - comfort wise - I could use it every day. Only catch is the car needs some planning ahead as to where you go and park because it is low and it will scrape on steep sleeping policemen, steep inclines and you cannot drive up curbs like you can with your Range Rover. Also take into account with the semislicks in wintertime, with low temps and rain/snow, you will need every ounce of concentration you can muster, because it will try to kill you.

If you get the .2GT3 next to your Range Rover, ditch both the 993TT and 991 targa. Use the money for trackdays and driving lessons, or get a second exotic like a ferrari / mclaren convertible. That will give you LOTS more enjoyment than holding on to cars that give a driving experience that is too similar.
I'll chime in a little here. I bought my 2015 GT3 in January of 2015. Except for late December-March, I drive my GT3 nearly everyday. I have since racked up 15800 marvelous miles. I've taken it on 4 long trips, 3 of which were 250 miles each way, and one that was 400 miles each way. I also had a 2016 Range Rover Supercharged that I drove on those Dec-March wintery days. I've yet had an issue daily driving my GT3.....and I would easily pick it over a 991.2 Targa if I had both in the garage. I've used my GT3 so much and I've decided to slowly downsize by selling two other cars I rarely drive (500E and 560SEC V12) and replace them both with a new 2018 Ferrari 488GTB.

After awhile, you just get tired of the old stuff and just want to drive the new, warranteed, new stuff....
Old 10-09-2017, 12:52 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

^^^^ lol. I buy and sell the new stuff. The old stuff is way more interesting. New... we shall see if .2 is a keeper.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My recommendation: Take your time with this decision and wait until you really can drive your Touring. You need to find out what makes the Touring so special. Then check whether any of your other cars also scores in the same area, but to a lesser degree. From what I read, the 991.2 targa seems to be the car to let go - it does not quite offer the openness of a real roadster (like a Spyder or 981 Boxster would) and cannot match the Touring's performance. And even if you regretted a sale in 2 - 3 years, it would be relatively easy to find another nicely equipped targa. That's much more difficult with the 993 turbo - you might not find another one in the same league..!

Best,
Tobias
Old 10-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Sell the targa.

I regret selling my 993.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

Sell Targa. Depreciation is sunk cost.

pm details of 993 tt.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:58 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

I understand issue. Targa is alot of fun to drive. But think you'll want different driving experience of 993 vs. 991 (not that GT3 and Targa are close - but bigger contrast with aircooled car). I'd trade Targa. I'm trading my Irish Green one when my .2Touring comes. Your targa looks great!
Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 95 Posts

Sell the 993TT... and you will regret the next minute.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:04 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
^^^^ lol. I buy and sell the new stuff. The old stuff is way more interesting. New... we shall see if .2 is a keeper.
I didn't say the old stuff isn't interesting, just that in my busy lifestyle, I just have such little time to sit and maintain all of the older cars, with their maintenances, leaks, brakes, suspension issues, bearings, belts, trim, etc., etc. I really wish I had the time but other hobbies and interests are currently consuming me.

My GT3 had 2 services in 15800 miles...1st service, interim service. Both instances I had the car back the same day, had a brand new loaner to drive, and the total cost of both services combined was $1200. I knew the price of my visit before I even arrived to the dealership. The car was just easy to own. I somehow lost the "passion" of constantly maintaining out of warranty cars....taking them in and awaiting THE phone call with a $$$ request for service.

I'm DEFINITELY not stating that the older cars aren't interesting or fun! Just that I'm just too damn lazy nowadays. I seriously fear that I'm just getting bored with the hobby.

Not to mention...when I want to flip the new car, I just list it or trade it and it's gone in a matter of days...the car being under warranty and all, it's just fast and worryless. I just don't have the drive to talk to multiple tire kickers, meet them, test drive with them, bargain with them (ugh!), deal with their transportation, etc. Again, not to naysay the older stuff, just saying that as I get older, my patience has been worn thin.

I'm just lazy...
Old 10-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Def sell targa. I'd sell 993 also if it's a TT.
You know...I think this is where I am heading. I have too many cars...too much to time to wash...move in lane way...up the lift..down the lift...worry about them.....never drive them. Go away for the weekend...use Range Rover....work - Range Rover...want to do a track day with my RS3...don't even want to use the 911. It appears that selling both and pare down to just the GT3 T is a sensible solution and hold pat for a while. Might even take a nice holiday - pay a couple of years tuition for my two kids in university....
Old 10-11-2017, 08:37 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
After 5000km with my .2GT3 I can honestly say - comfort wise - I could use it every day. Only catch is the car needs some planning ahead as to where you go and park because it is low and it will scrape on steep sleeping policemen, steep inclines and you cannot drive up curbs like you can with your Range Rover. Also take into account with the semislicks in wintertime, with low temps and rain/snow, you will need every ounce of concentration you can muster, because it will try to kill you.

If you get the .2GT3 next to your Range Rover, ditch both the 993TT and 991 targa. Use the money for trackdays and driving lessons, or get a second exotic like a ferrari / mclaren convertible. That will give you LOTS more enjoyment than holding on to cars that give a driving experience that is too similar.
^Agreed
I am very happy with my 458 as an alt to my p car addiction
Sadly my 6gt3 has to go
Old 10-12-2017, 02:57 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Once you drive the GT3, you won't even look at the Targa again. Sell it before it loses more value!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:29 AM
derv88
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is this even a thing? Sell! Sell! Sell the targa. Don't dare sell the 993.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
You know...I think this is where I am heading. I have too many cars...too much to time to wash...move in lane way...up the lift..down the lift...worry about them.....never drive them. Go away for the weekend...use Range Rover....work - Range Rover...want to do a track day with my RS3...don't even want to use the 911. It appears that selling both and pare down to just the GT3 T is a sensible solution and hold pat for a while. Might even take a nice holiday - pay a couple of years tuition for my two kids in university....
Good plan, sell both, take the money and run. Enjoy the new GT3 touring...
Old 10-12-2017, 04:56 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Exactly. I was the one suggesting you sell both and maybe get a Boxster for open-top fun -- or not. Owning stuff is over-rated. The more things you own, the more they own you.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:15 AM
Keawn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not sell the 993 TT, get rid of the Targa. 993TT in my opinion one of the best Porsche designs ever.

Quick Reply: Sage advice sought - from GT3.2 guys