Sponsored by:

Sage advice sought - from GT3.2 guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Sage advice sought - from GT3.2 guys

All....I apologize for seeking advice of the board again - but I continue to be in quite a quandary over what vehicle appendage has to go and variables have altered somewhat. I am asking GT3.2 guys who have taken delivery of their cars to weigh in on if it is as much as an 'all rounder' as other poster's (high) expectations have put it. I have ordered my car with Touring Package in Jet black with bright aluminum trim, silver wheels and LWBs...as classic 'old school' look as I could make it.

What has shifted is all I read about the GT3.2 and the fact we just traded our S3 for a new RS3 saloon which my wife has taken to her daily driver. The RS3 is a special little car...and I believe she could care less to never see her newly delivered PTS 991.2 T4S that I completely over optioned and ordered for her - now with 4500 Kilometers on it - that incidentally...I quite like myself.

I have an excellent 993tt that I bought a couple of years ago to replace my 991.1TTS. The TTS is a great car but found I wanted more visceral experience that the 993tt has delivered in spades. I use the 993tt rarely though because that is a different ownership experience and I am a little spooked by parking it in public lots and adding mileage to and such. I have a confirmed GT3 T coming in the next three months and no garage space and limited financing, which car to get rid of? It will be tracked only two or three times a year and enjoyed back roads et al.

SO....Those now having lived with your 991.2 GT3 - and IF you have one more in the garage - would it be the 993TT with stick and to many would check many of the same boxes OR the 991.2 Targa PDK providing a somewhat luxurious package with open air motoring as an alternate to the 500HP NA joyride.

Ironically, went on a golf weekend last week and used the Range Rover because we didn't want to jam clubs in the back of the Targa - so use for golf weekends OUT .

Needless to say, I will do quite well on the 993TT trade and leave some room for the next guy to enjoy some appreciation AND I would eat *rap on the 991.2 Targa trade given it is PTS with Burmeister and almost every conceivable option on that over specified car. Both are beautiful as you can see but only so much dough for this baker.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for hearing me out. It is healthy to talk through these decisions with those who can relate.
Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

That black+chrome gt3T is going to look sick!
No .2 on order here but if I was you, I'd sell both the Targa and the 993tt (since you're hardly driving it) and replace them with a 981 Boxster for low-cost, stress-less, top-down fun. You're going to get soaked on the Targa trade/sale but that loss is already baked in whether you realize it now or later. The Targa would still depreciate much more in $ terms than a much cheaper 981 Boxster.

If it's between the Targa and the 993tt, I'd sell the Targa. Keep the 993tt to enjoy as a special and much different experience, as a rare old single-malt.

Good problems to have regardless of what you decide. Post pics of the black gt3T when it arrives!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Dump that targa. You’d be insane to sell the 993 youll regret it.
Nice targa. But if you think you will take it in the a now wait another 18mo and it will feel like a whole another earthly experience.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:51 AM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Dump that targa. You’d be insane to sell the 993 youll regret it.
Nice targa. But if you think you will take it in the a now wait another 18mo and it will feel like a whole another earthly experience.
What he said +1
Old 10-08-2017, 11:08 AM
InnovateGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a black touring manual arriving new year! But optioned all black.

If I were​​​ in this dilemma I'd dump the Targa especially being in Canada. Targas are quite rare in Canada so I don't believe you'd take as large a bath as our American buddies think you would.
The 993TT is a very hard car to find in excellent shape and especially your color. Keep it as they will only become rarer and especially so if it's one of the Canadian cars.

If you need the open air experience, keep the Targa, sell the Range and get a cheaper SUV.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:59 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

keep 993 get rid of targa
Old 10-08-2017, 12:02 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Def sell targa. I'd sell 993 also if it's a TT.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:26 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I would sell the targa if only because it will depreciate way faster than the 993TT. On the other hand, I really enjoy topless driving and it does leave a hole there in your fleet. I think what you are really asking is whether you can/will daily drive the GT3 rendering the targa redundant. I plan to, but things like rock hard suspension, racing style seats, and lack of creature comforts don’t bother me in a daily so I “think” I will be fine. YMMV and I don’t have my car yet (similar spec as yours A1 black/touring in silver trim/LWBs) so I can’t give you any driving impressions.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Everything you own is a depreciating turd compared to the 993TT with the exception of the GT3....
Old 10-08-2017, 03:15 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
Everything you own is a depreciating turd compared to the 993TT with the exception of the GT3....
That's hilarious, but not inaccurate. 993TT all day long, but selling that 991 Targa S will be costly.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:48 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

After 5000km with my .2GT3 I can honestly say - comfort wise - I could use it every day. Only catch is the car needs some planning ahead as to where you go and park because it is low and it will scrape on steep sleeping policemen, steep inclines and you cannot drive up curbs like you can with your Range Rover. Also take into account with the semislicks in wintertime, with low temps and rain/snow, you will need every ounce of concentration you can muster, because it will try to kill you.

If you get the .2GT3 next to your Range Rover, ditch both the 993TT and 991 targa. Use the money for trackdays and driving lessons, or get a second exotic like a ferrari / mclaren convertible. That will give you LOTS more enjoyment than holding on to cars that give a driving experience that is too similar.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
After 5000km with my .2GT3 I can honestly say - comfort wise - I could use it every day. Only catch is the car needs some planning ahead as to where you go and park because it is low and it will scrape on steep sleeping policemen, steep inclines and you cannot drive up curbs like you can with your Range Rover.
That's what axle lift is for!

Also take into account with the semislicks in wintertime, with low temps and rain/snow, you will need every ounce of concentration you can muster, because it will try to kill you.
Or better yet, mount winter tires.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:04 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Unless you can get really big money for the 933TT you would be financially unwise to sell even if you rarely use the car. The Targa is the odd man out in this discussion from both a financial and enthusiast viewpoint, and would make sense to cut your losses in insurances and possible accelerated depreciation from a fender bender or inclement weather shunt. The GT3 w/ TP will likely make a reasonable DD with a set of Pilot Super Sports (TP doesn't need Cups iMHO) and that will solve both the enthusiast and financial sensibility equations as the GT3 will never bleed out in depreciation.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:54 PM
basil2000
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

sell the targa. 993tt is a keeper.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:08 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by basil2000
sell the targa. 993tt is a keeper.
Ditto