Sponsored by:

Tail of The Dragon GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Default Tail of The Dragon GT3RS

Too much car talk of cars that have not arrived ..........while not a track day. Just finished 250 mile drive with a buddy in his GTS 2018 which is a fine machine. These cars are very capable, and clearly meets all my expectations in the twisty roads point and go and thus thing moves through curves.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Wow, a thread discussing the actual purpose of these cars! Weird. No wonder no interest here.

Now back to our regular programming..."should PTS window buttons be ordered? Should the seats come with a stripe? Should stripes have been diagnal instead? Should a cotton candy machine in boot be an option? Should touring option come with luggage rack and picnic basket? Another thread with 5,432,769 posts on another "special" car only 900 (918) people will be offered.

No wonder I visit this place less and less.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:55 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Sweet! Hoping to get back down there next spring.. We need vids and pics!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Waxer
Wow, a thread discussing the actual purpose of these cars! Weird. No wonder no interest here.

Now back to our regular programming..."should PTS window buttons be ordered? Should the seats come with a stripe? Should stripes have been diagnal instead? Should a cotton candy machine in boot be an option? Should touring option come with luggage rack and picnic basket? Another thread with 5,432,769 posts on another "special" car only 900 (918) people will be offered.

Now that was funny!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:54 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I did a weekend at the Dragon with my motorcycle for my 40th birthday. It was a blast! I got an LEO performance award to prove it...
Old 09-18-2017, 04:01 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

You had great weather for it!!

We'll have to do more N.GA runs...
Old 09-18-2017, 04:13 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 783 Posts

Would love to get my Cayman down there at some point. Glad you had a blast and drove the car as intended!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Maverick: Love the plate!

Looks like a great time and not a better place to take a GT3RS for the day.

I've never driven the Tail of the Dragon. Would love too. Maybe a "Rennlist Tail of the Dragon" event can be organized?

Maybe coordinated with a good charity drive.

Just some thoughts.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I've never driven the Tail of the Dragon. Would love too. Maybe a "Rennlist Tail of the Dragon" event can be organized?

Just some thoughts.

There is already a rennlist tail of the dragon event, It's called the Smokies annual gathering.. speak to Haku or Sgroer for details. It's not just the dragon.. it's 3-4 days spent on track, as well as 100's of miles of roads surrounding the north Georgia area which will blow the mind of the uninitiated... and never fails to impress even those who have lived there for years like myself.

I have ridden the dragon 100's of times and know it well from motorcycle days when I lived in atlanta. At Smokies this year, I was able to enjoy some truly epic runs in a weissach 918, and I can say that the Dragon is one of the very few roads where I can tell the difference between a 918 and a Weissach 918. there are so many turns, and tight switchbacks with hard acceleration and braking, that the reduced weight of the magnesium wheels on the weissach make themselves felt by way of immediacy and feel while switching between left and right turns. Otherwise, the 918 and weissach feel identical on road, you have to get it to the track to tell the difference where the weissach really comes alive va the regular 918. I mention this only to highlight how amazing the Dragon is, the ultimate low-speed handling route, full of blind turns, decreasing radius, camber and off-camber turns, and the most vicious switchbacks ever created with asphalt.

To enjoy it properly You need to get there 1. On a weekday and 2. Early in the morning or right at dusk to get a proper run at it. 3. Pay off Tennessee highway patrol officers like Officer Snow who happens to be the originator of all three tickets on my california license.. on three separate years. Amazing level of dedication and bad luck on my part..

Anyway, but if you do get a good run at the dragon. and you're in the right machine (any GT Porsche will do nicely).. it will be one of the top 1-2 drives of your life. I include any also any of my "local" roads from younger days like the Stelvio or any alps pass i have ever tried, and also beats any California run like the snake or norcal roads we have here. Nothing, is like a good Dragon run. It's so twisty and complex, that to run it at even 8/10th, requires complete memorization of its 300+ turns. Yes, my Nurburgring experience beats it.. but that's it, nothing better.

Once you learn it, you can really start to have fun. there are a few key corners you can memorize which become no-lift blinds into a straight.. those are perfect for getting your passenger to pee them self as they think they are about to fly into the trees not knowing the blind turn will open up at last moment.

There is also a spot right at the beginning f where I got to give some special people passenger rides, and liked to start their rollercoaster ride with a proper launch. This is my favorite as passengers eyes get reaaaally wide haha!

A few more examples below for those who haven't attended smokies, of how much fun there is to be had. These are other drivers enjoying themselves, I think after my first launch I was politely ask to leave some tire tread for others haha!!! Jokes aside, No matter how far you have to go to get there.. it's worth it. Period.

Attached Images  

Last edited by CAlexio; 09-18-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

quick cross-link to the Smokies thread for those who are interested: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...es-2018-a.html
Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 007DT
You had great weather for it!!

We'll have to do more N.GA runs...
For sure we have to catch up soon before the winter!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Just some thoughts.
Agree for me pretty easy when I'm down in ATL from NYC I don't drive in the city leave all the cars in ATL it's good break from NYC.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

CAlexio: looks like I'm riding with you at the next smokies event!
Old 09-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Right on!

But we have to blame Porsche for that to some degree. Their pricing has become so exorbitant, their GT cars so scarce, that all these details matter.

Quick Reply: Tail of The Dragon GT3RS