Sponsored by:

911R

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
To be sure, the R is something I will keep, enjoy and cherish all my life.
I'll never sell either of the Porsches I currently own, and I won't buy another one that I don't think I'll keep for life. And there are only two recent model Porsches that fall in that category, the 911R or a perfectly specced manual GT3T. Let's hope there's a nice, low mileage used one on the market in about 4 years.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:40 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Which vent is that?

I don't mind the stripes on the 911R, but they do come off. In time, I think I'll prefer the design of the GT3T. Currently, it's a bit of a draw for me.
The one below the grill in the back bumper on top.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:08 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I cannot blame you. What I can share driving the GT3RS and the 911R, is the difference in "sensation." I cannot think of anything that can beat the speed and durability of the PDK. One of the best if not the best out there. Once you drive the 911R, the fun factor and driving engagement, are the two things that will stick in your mind, and you'll certainly understand that unique driving sensation.

Originally Posted by HGM 10
Guys im currently selling my 991 Gt3 RS because i want to get the manual, for crazy it sounds im bored with the pdk, this rs is my second porsche with pdk, dont get me wrong is the Best transmision out there but it lacks the enjoyment of the manual, this are the best drivers cars, and im in the hunt for the 911R, i want a keeper car and not having the trouble of buying and selling every year and sometimes taking the hit of depreciation, so, i will let you know if i pull the trigger for the R, or get the gt3 Touring or Gt3 manual, drive safe...
I know you are a PORSCHE track nutter. Wow, first time to hear a GT4 with LWFW. Very unique setup you have there, and that's exactly the "sensation" I'm talking about. That must be a blast to drive with that rifle bolt action gear lever. Isn't it so much fun doing the Heel-and-Toe on the down shift turns.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I very much agree with you guys as I put in a LWFW in my GT4 and so man does it give me goosebumps on downshifts.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
I cannot blame you. What I can share driving the GT3RS and the 911R, is the difference in "sensation." I cannot think of anything that can beat the speed and durability of the PDK. One of the best if not the best out there. Once you drive the 911R, the fun factor and driving engagement, are the two things that will stick in your mind, and you'll certainly understand that unique driving sensation.

I know you are a PORSCHE track nutter. Wow, first time to hear a GT4 with LWFW. Very unique setup you have there, and that's exactly the "sensation" I'm talking about. That must be a blast to drive with that rifle bolt action gear lever. Isn't it so much fun doing the Heel-and-Toe on the down shift turns.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Yeah and I get the "extra" sound by having catless headers which gives it and even more distinct sound on the rev match.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:10 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The fact that there have been no issues with .1 G engines does not contradict the fact that the .2 engine is different and much closer to the new Cup engine in design.

Whether it is "better" it remains to be seen, of course, but it would be fair to assume that if Porsche thought that the .1 G engine was better, then they would have used it in the .2 gt3 and the Cup. They didn't.
Not contradicting your statement in anyway. I am just interested in what the specific improvement is which makes the GT3.2 engine better. Do you know if the new motor has been given a new "model" designation or just an advancement in the series designation.

I would expect Porsche have to their most advanced engine design in the Motorsport program. But doesn't really tell me why Porsche is using that engine.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:46 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry didn't finish that thought from above. What are the key design changes and performance factors which put the new engine into the racing series?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:24 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
Sorry didn't finish that thought from above. What are the key design changes and performance factors which put the new engine into the racing series?
I don't have the links handy and prefer not to speak about such engineering details from memory. Try some google magic -- it was all over the interwebs around the time of the .2 gt3 launch.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:12 AM
HGM 10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
You WON'T regret it at all. I just took mine out every day last weekend and even after just beating on the Singer at Laguna Seca a bit ago, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face after just a normal/spirited set of drives in the R. I've not had that much fun in a road car for quite some time.
thanks i have never driven one, the R, but i asume is one of the greatest cars ever, so i think i will go this route, sell the RS and get the R, i will keep ypu guys post it... peace
Drive safe
Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HGM 10
thanks i have never driven one, the R, but i asume is one of the greatest cars ever, so i think i will go this route, sell the RS and get the R, i will keep ypu guys post it... peace
Drive safe
Good luck with the search.

It is a brilliant car. You won't regret it
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Originally Posted by DJM48
Good luck with the search. It is a brilliant car. You won't regret it
thanks ✌️
Old 09-20-2017, 10:44 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

In 25 years from now, the R will still not feel obsolete; something that, especially today, with technology changing so rapidly, and the pace of change constantly increasing, cannot be said for many. And that is what makes the R so special.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:31 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree, mainly because of its simplicity, not complicated. Stick shift, Naturally Aspirated, Carbon Fiber seats for those quick get up and go cruise rides, modern comforts of carbon fiber components and magnesium roof, to name a few.

Reminds me of the family's old 1972 Volkswagen Beetle, Stick Shift, Naturally Aspirated, and air-cooled 1600CC 4-cyclinder. Very simple to drive, maintain, and fun to drive, although nowhere near the performance and fun factor of the 911R.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
In 25 years from now, the R will still not feel obsolete; something that, especially today, with technology changing so rapidly, and the pace of change constantly increasing, cannot be said for many. And that is what makes the R so special.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:00 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,240 Likes on 609 Posts

I am at 1650 miles and need new tires. And my face hurts.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Will you replace the tires with Cup 2 or Trofeo R?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:05 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
I cannot blame you. What I can share driving the GT3RS and the 911R, is the difference in "sensation." I cannot think of anything that can beat the speed and durability of the PDK. One of the best if not the best out there. Once you drive the 911R, the fun factor and driving engagement, are the two things that will stick in your mind, and you'll certainly understand that unique driving sensation. I know you are a PORSCHE track nutter. Wow, first time to hear a GT4 with LWFW. Very unique setup you have there, and that's exactly the "sensation" I'm talking about. That must be a blast to drive with that rifle bolt action gear lever. Isn't it so much fun doing the Heel-and-Toe on the down shift turns. Drive safe, GT3RS-Fan1
Yeah you are right the pdk car is so fast and perfect that i miss the manual, i prefered to go a little bit slower but having fun than going always on top of the speed but lacking enjoyment, i remember somebody saying that the R feels faster than the RS because of the gearbox, thru or not im not on the edge of looking for speed i just want a good old fashion manual box and a modern Porsche combined... drive safe

Quick Reply: 911R