Sponsored by:

? About hpr open lapping days

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:25 AM
Jasonanv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? About hpr open lapping days

I'm heading out to hpr at the end of this month. Is the open lapping relativity safe? Seen some videos and it's got me a little worried. What has been your experiences? Should I just spend the extra money and do semi exclusive day? Thanks
Old 08-03-2017, 07:03 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I did an open lapping session at HPR and it wasn't bad. They broke it up into 2 running groups (slow and fast) and I didn't think it was unsafe.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:00 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Would this be your first track day? I don't think I'd want to just be turned loose on open lapping w/o and instructor unless I had some days under my belt.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

PCA is the right place to start. Or Audi Club, BMWCCA. Taking car to track w no instructor = Bad Idea Jeans (if you remember that SNL skit from 100 years ago).
Old 08-03-2017, 11:21 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Just pay for a half day instruction. It's open lapping, not a race. Just let the faster people pass and enjoy your laps.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:50 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonanv
I'm heading out to hpr at the end of this month. Is the open lapping relativity safe? Seen some videos and it's got me a little worried. What has been your experiences? Should I just spend the extra money and do semi exclusive day? Thanks
I've probably done hundreds of these days at HPR. They are far better than PCA days with low-key lapping as long as you like for a very small fee. If you have no track experience, bring a friend who does. Half-Day is usually plenty (4 hours of lapping is quite a bit). If you feel like you want/need instruction, get it (but not required). Best track situation in the country for this hobby with respect to open track time, a safe/interesting track, and cost. Only requirements are helmet, small fee, and common sense. Get there on time to attend drivers' meeting if your first time.

Don't be too proud to let slower cars pass - just remember you're only there to have fun and learn to improve your driving. Take it slow to begin (choose the slow group, if there are run groups on the given day).

http://highplainsraceway.com/drive-t...s-information/
Old 08-03-2017, 03:09 PM
Jasonanv
Advanced

Originally Posted by tstafford
Would this be your first track day? I don't think I'd want to just be turned loose on open lapping w/o and instructor unless I had some days under my belt.
I've done a few track days with pca, but this would be first time at hpr.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:14 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

If you've done days elsewhere before you should be fine. If there are two groups start in the slow group and opt up if you feel like it. I've seen a few guys who are a little too aggressive at times during those days, but pretty easy to avoid if you see them.

One thing to try is a Thursday night if you're schedule allows. They tend to be pretty open and plenty of time to get your fill.

BTW, what will you be driving? May see you one day.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Jasonanv
Advanced

Originally Posted by signes
If you've done days elsewhere before you should be fine. If there are two groups start in the slow group and opt up if you feel like it. I've seen a few guys who are a little too aggressive at times during those days, but pretty easy to avoid if you see them.

One thing to try is a Thursday night if you're schedule allows. They tend to be pretty open and plenty of time to get your fill.

BTW, what will you be driving? May see you one day.
I'll be in a a red gt4 with Minnesota plates. Are there two groups on Thursday night? How many cars typically show up on Thursday vs Fridays?
Old 08-03-2017, 04:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

I've done a few track days with pca, but this would be first time at hpr.
HPR is a fun track. Since its your first time I recommend (1) instruction for a couple of sessions OR (2) lead follow for a couple of sessions. The track has some peculiarities, bumps here and there in the line that might cause an upset if your not familiar. Generally speaking its a safe track with plenty of run off. Just remember the atitude = thinner air so cooling will be an issue; yourself, brakes, etc.

Oh, weather rolling down from the mountains might also come into play. Locals are so used to it they usually forget to mention it.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

What day are you thinking of heading out?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll be in a a red gt4 with Minnesota plates. Are there two groups on Thursday night? How many cars typically show up on Thursday vs Fridays?
I'd rather not deal with the diminished light of an evening session. Friday early morning is the least crowded in my experience. I've been there with fewer than 10 cars (a couple times far fewer) and over 100 (usually day before PCA weekend with Club Race).

Calendar is here:
http://highplainsraceway.com/event-calendar/
Old 08-03-2017, 05:46 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
.....and over 100 (usually day before PCA weekend with Club Race)....
Because that is a test and tune Friday prior to the club race. Those days you go at your own risk. You may or may not be accepted to participate on those days because PCA will be given preference.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Because that is a test and tune Friday prior to the club race. Those days you go at your own risk. You may or may not be accepted to participate on those days because PCA will be given preference.
Those are some of my favorite days, but not recommended for novices. And you're also more likely to get peppered with rubber and gravel debris with so many cars on sticky track tires...
Old 08-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Jasonanv
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buteo
What day are you thinking of heading out?
Sept. 1st

Quick Reply: ? About hpr open lapping days