Sponsored by:

GT3 Buckets for daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:31 AM
OG911
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3 Buckets for daily driving

Hope there are other guys in the same boat to share their views of having bucket seats for daily driving. I won't be seeing the track that often and would like to drive the car a lot. I have a Cayenne GTS as well. love the look of the bucket seats but really worried after driving the car for a while i would end up regretting my decision. 18 way seats are comfy with seat heating and cheaper but every time i choose them on the configurator i say to my self i should go for a GTS not a GT3 if i am going to get the 18 way seats. My allocation is confirmed for November so have to lock my order in september. I read a lot about buckets on rennelist some say they are comfortable even after many hours driving and other report discomfort and difficulty getting in and out of the car. This is going to be my first GT car. could you please help ?

Would be great if you help sharing what you think and the rational that goes with it

Thanks a lot

Last edited by OG911; 06-05-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: error
Old 06-05-2017, 07:42 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

I know this has probably been discussed a lot of times but I am interested to know as well especially from people who actually daily drive their cars and especially from people who daily drive who have had both. A lot of comments have to do with what their wives or SO think but I am more interested to know about what the actual drivers think. I have 4 ways on my 991 gt3 now and love the comfort. Im hoping to get an allocation for a 991.2 and am thinking about specing the buckets but don't want to sacrifice the comfort. Track every other month or so and don't feel im losing anything in the 4 ways but my skill level is not that high and I have never been on track in buckets before.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:07 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

I have had both. Much of this decision lies on your age, physical condition, any back issues, height/weight, other passengers, use of car, etc. if you can find some buckets and get in and out multiple times and try to drive that would be worthwhile. Most woman hate the buckets and I have not heard of anyone losing a race, competition or poor track time because of lack of buckets. I have never owned a gun or car that could not out perform me. With this said they are fantastic looking and do well with the look of the car. I have ordered 18 ways and not looking back.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:20 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

Heavily discussed topic so there's lots of comments out there. I have 6K miles on my RS that I got in February - so a heavy dose of LWB seat time. And I owned a 991 GT3 w/ 18-ways before the RS.

Overall - I couldn't spec a GT car w/ 18-ways. They complete the car and change the experience.

Track - The LWBs are good, not great on the track IMHO. I love having them because I like that the car is basically stock with all OEM parts (except the Shary centerpipe). There are better track seats out there.

DD - LWBs are far less convenient than 18-ways. It's not the comfort for me (and I'm 6'/215 lbs) - they fit me fine. It's the getting in and out. You get good at it, but it's difficult and looks pretty ridiculous.

Net/net - I'd get LWB because I track the cars. So that's kind of end of story for me. If I didn't track them I'd be torn b/w the comfort and sportiness of the LWBs. In the end, I'd get the LWBs.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:39 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As you are asking about daily driving then I am going to say that LWB are not good for it. You will be suffering for no reason.
Get sofas and you will still be very fine on occasional track day events.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 AM
dkuznetsov
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunno I'm fine with my buckets, I dont daily drive mine though. As mentioned before the only part that really annoys me is getting in and out, the side bolsters are raised and hard carbon fiber, one time I plunked down my weight and that hard carbon fiber bolster went right up my.... anyway not a fun experience but manageable.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

Though I am ordering LWB, my concern is enough clearance to open the door and get into the car. You'll need at least the first stop on the door to get in. Generally, that would not be a problem by parking away from other cars. But it is inevitable some idiot will park too close and not give you enough space to open the door to the first stop.

All that said, once in the seats are comfortable and the look terrific compared to the sofas. LWB complete the car.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:45 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I have the 18-ways, and for DD and occasional track use they are great. But as others have said you and your significant other need to try the LWB seats to know.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:14 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 424 Posts

Also depends on how your day goes. If it's just to your office and back once a day, no big deal. If you're making a lot of stops and constantly getting in and out it could get annoying. At a track day I'm in and out far more than a week of daily driving.

I'd never opt for the 18 ways, even if entry and exit are a bit of a pain, the comfort and hold are worth it. They also seem to belong in a GT car.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:29 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

You can't poll or ask others on this issue. You MUST sit and drive in them and decide for YOURSELF. There is no other way. Too much variability in bodies
Old 06-05-2017, 11:32 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

As a gentlemen I assist ladies in mini skirts out of the LWBs.
The following users liked this post:
A65guy (12-02-2020)
Old 06-05-2017, 11:34 AM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
As you are asking about daily driving then I am going to say that LWB are not good for it. You will be suffering for no reason.
Get sofas and you will still be very fine on occasional track day events.
Agreed, have had both and the 18 ways ( even the 14 ) are much more user friendly on a daily basis. Also if your wife or daughter may go with you, see how they like those LWB's in a skirt.......
Nice option on the 18's is leather covered seat backs, standard on the 14 way.
For the track I have a bolted in halo race seat. Enjoy your car!
Old 06-05-2017, 02:44 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by OG911
Hope there are other guys in the same boat to share their views of having bucket seats for daily driving. I won't be seeing the track that often and would like to drive the car a lot. I have a Cayenne GTS as well. love the look of the bucket seats but really worried after driving the car for a while i would end up regretting my decision. 18 way seats are comfy with seat heating and cheaper but every time i choose them on the configurator i say to my self i should go for a GTS not a GT3 if i am going to get the 18 way seats. My allocation is confirmed for November so have to lock my order in september. I read a lot about buckets on rennelist some say they are comfortable even after many hours driving and other report discomfort and difficulty getting in and out of the car. This is going to be my first GT car. could you please help ?

Would be great if you help sharing what you think and the rational that goes with it

Thanks a lot

Wow....your decision to get a GT3 over a GTS has to do with the seats???
buy it for the 9K, NA, motorsports-derived GT3 engine, not the type of seat
GT3 (and RS) are all about the engine (and suspension) IMHO.....

Originally Posted by tstafford
Heavily discussed topic so there's lots of comments out there. I have 6K miles on my RS that I got in February - so a heavy dose of LWB seat time. And I owned a 991 GT3 w/ 18-ways before the RS.

Overall - I couldn't spec a GT car w/ 18-ways. They complete the car and change the experience.

Track - The LWBs are good, not great on the track IMHO. I love having them because I like that the car is basically stock with all OEM parts (except the Shary centerpipe). There are better track seats out there.

DD - LWBs are far less convenient than 18-ways. It's not the comfort for me (and I'm 6'/215 lbs) - they fit me fine. It's the getting in and out. You get good at it, but it's difficult and looks pretty ridiculous.

Net/net - I'd get LWB because I track the cars. So that's kind of end of story for me. If I didn't track them I'd be torn b/w the comfort and sportiness of the LWBs. In the end, I'd get the LWBs.
I agree with this^^
I have LWB's on both my GT3 and GT4 (both DD and track) and wouldn't have specced it any other way...but as Joe said you have to sit and drive in them to determine if they "fit" you properly (maybe too big for thinner or smaller guys??), but again, please don't make the decision of GT3 vs GTS based on LWB vs 18-way sofas.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:51 PM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 147 Posts

18 ways for comfort, buckets for looks
Old 06-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I don't like the LWB for track, street, anything other than looks. They're not a comfortable seat. I'm not a rail size wise and they are too wide for me, move around laterally. I was reminded of this driving in a car with them on track this weekend. The back hits the helmet and pushes your head forward in an uncomfortable position, it's worse with a HANS.

:-)

If my number gets called on the 991.2, it will have them, they'll be pulled, put on the shelf, and swapped with a proper Recaro bucket which are MUCH more comfortable.

But, some like, some don't, personal decision really.

Quick Reply: GT3 Buckets for daily driving