Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:34 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer
^That's ridiculous
A lot of us are in the same boat. I just got REALLY lucky and had a family I'm close to buy a dealer that didn't have spots for a few cars coming up so I signed u immediately...however, even I couldn't get a regular gt3. Pretty hilarious.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
For last 9 years, I have purchased and owned and driven the following Porsche's:

Modern:
2008 Porsche 997.1 GT3-RS (Viper Green)
2010 Porsche 997.2 GT3 Cup
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder (Arctic Silver)
2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3-RS (White)
2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3 (White)
2016 Porsche 991.1 GT3-RS (White)
2017 Porsche 991.2 C4S (GT Silver) - CURRENT (DAILY)

Classic:
’67 911 (Polo Red)
’73 911T (Silver)
’73 911S (Irish Green) - CURRENT
’73 911 Carrera RS 2.7 (Tangerine #440) - CURRENT
’76 911 Carrera MFI ROW (Continental Orange)
’87 930 Turbo (White)
’91 964 3.3 Turbo (Red)

And I cannot track down a new GT3 allocation from any dealer; sure I could find one out of state; but how is that good customer service? I have never flipped a Porsche. I drive them. I track them. I love these cars. I represent their ideal customer and am loyal to them. It's hard to not get upset. And I am sure there are many who have bought many more than me in the same situation. If Porsche truly cared for enthusiast buyers, then they would ensure people like myself and others were able to get these cars without the fuss.

Damn shame.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:08 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

If you talk the talk have to walk the walk. So far I only hear talk. Me thinks nothing is going to change

Ridiculous someone like you can't get a GT3
Old 05-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

For last 9 years, I have purchased and owned and driven the following Porsche's:

Modern:
2008 Porsche 997.1 GT3-RS (Viper Green)
2010 Porsche 997.2 GT3 Cup
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder (Arctic Silver)
2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3-RS (White)
2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3 (White)
2016 Porsche 991.1 GT3-RS (White)
2017 Porsche 991.2 C4S (GT Silver) - CURRENT (DAILY)

Classic:
’67 911 (Polo Red)
’73 911T (Silver)
’73 911S (Irish Green) - CURRENT
’73 911 Carrera RS 2.7 (Tangerine #440) - CURRENT
’76 911 Carrera MFI ROW (Continental Orange)
’87 930 Turbo (White)
’91 964 3.3 Turbo (Red)

And I cannot track down a new GT3 allocation from any dealer; sure I could find one out of state; but how is that good customer service? I have never flipped a Porsche. I drive them. I track them. I love these cars. I represent their ideal customer and am loyal to them. It's hard to not get upset. And I am sure there are many who have bought many more than me in the same situation. If Porsche truly cared for enthusiast buyers, then they would ensure people like myself and others were able to get these cars without the fuss.
A couple of questions.

Did you buy the modern Porsche's from a dealer and if so was it from the same dealer? If from the same dealer, you have a legitimate complaint and I would contact PCNA. If you bought these cars used mostly from private individuals then you playing on a different playing field which dealers will not recognize.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:30 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
Unlike Porsche dealers who can make up fake customer orders... Ferrari dealers are held to a higher standard.
Fake orders, fake odometers, same difference...
Old 05-26-2017, 07:35 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
A couple of questions.

Did you buy the modern Porsche's from a dealer and if so was it from the same dealer? If from the same dealer, you have a legitimate complaint and I would contact PCNA. If you bought these cars used mostly from private individuals then you playing on a different playing field which dealers will not recognize.
All the modern Porsche's, but the cup, were purchased new from a dealer; but various dealers throughout CA.. with exception of 2015 GT3. I was forced to buy from AZ dealer because no CA dealer would sell me one. Sadly I was always forced to buy from different dealers each time. Even now; I bought my '16 RS from Mckenna; and they say they don't have any 991.2 GT3 allocations to sell me a car. I have tried to foster relationship with only one dealer; it's impossible. trust me, i would have loved to buy all these cars from one dealer.

List of Cars and Dealer:
2008 Porsche 997.1 GT3-RS (NEW from Hoehn in San Diego)
2010 Porsche 997.2 GT3 Cup (used from 2nd place season finisher of IMSA Cup series)
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder (NEW from Walter's in Riverside)
2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3-RS (NEW from Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills)
2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3 (NEW from Porsche North Scottsdale, AZ)
2016 Porsche 991.1 GT3-RS (NEW from McKenna Porsche in Norwalk)
2017 Porsche 991.2 C4S (NEW from Porsche Newport Beach)

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 05-26-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Enforcing against flipping is relatively easy. The dealer tells the buyer of a GT car that the dealership would like the first opportunity to buy the car back should the buyer want to sell. If the buyer fails to do that, he/she will not get any future allocations. Not complicated.
Then the dealer marks it up. Ferrari loves it when you cancel an order or sell it back as they gain on the flip instead of a private seller. If they gave you a guaranteed place in line for another purchase then at least you would get something in exchange for not getting the increased value.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While its nice Porsche may try to do something about this. There really isn't any power in the universe to stop the power of the market.

The market will find itself way to level it eventually. Think about it, more than 10% of the entire LaFerrari's production was flipped in the first year despite Ferrari's tight ship and clear decree saying you will never get another limited Ferrari ever in your life.

This will happen to Ford GT too eventually, despite the contract they signed.

Think about it, in an extreme Porsche GT universe, if Porsche only builds 100 GT3RS and every customer must sign a contract saying if they sell it above MSRP during the first 2 years, the customer owe's Porsche all money above MSRP, and they will lose their ability to buy GT cars ever again. What do you think the demand for only building the last NA GT3RS? (hypothetical) crazy demand. So one, you're left to live in a universe where maybe no one can flip cars, but you can't get one ever anyways, so it doesn't matter. Or Two, the market seeps backwards into these cars, people break their contract to sell to another person at MSRP, and the second owner that's not in the contract flips for 100k over. And perhaps do split with first owner, or not, doesn't matter, won't affect the market if the first owner takes a cut or not.

While I think its a good idea to start doing this, and its a good sign they're trying. Ultimately though, you want to solve the root cause and if they're not a hedge fund, not just putting a bandage on a bone fracture.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Terrible what if you have several Porsche's and drive them equally? You can screw your top buyer that uses all his or her cars?
Multiple Porsche owners would get to add together their mileages, but with a multiple say RS miles worth 3, GT worth 2, C2 through Turbo 1, Macan/Panny/whatever that big fat one is called worth 0.25.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Or give out allocations based on mileage on your current car.
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Fantastic idea...!!!!
Originally Posted by stout
Best idea I've seen on RL in a long, long time.

Of course it's fraught in some ways. But I still love it…
And what is the mileage multiplier for tracking them instead of tooling around on regular roads on the nice, no rain, no traffic weekend going to show it off on a coffee and doughnut event?
Old 05-26-2017, 08:06 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
While its nice Porsche may try to do something about this. There really isn't any power in the universe to stop the power of the market.

The market will find itself way to level it eventually. Think about it, more than 10% of the entire LaFerrari's production was flipped in the first year despite Ferrari's tight ship and clear decree saying you will never get another limited Ferrari ever in your life.

This will happen to Ford GT too eventually, despite the contract they signed.

Think about it, in an extreme Porsche GT universe, if Porsche only builds 100 GT3RS and every customer must sign a contract saying if they sell it above MSRP during the first 2 years, the customer owe's Porsche all money above MSRP, and they will lose their ability to buy GT cars ever again. What do you think the demand for only building the last NA GT3RS? (hypothetical) crazy demand. So one, you're left to live in a universe where maybe no one can flip cars, but you can't get one ever anyways, so it doesn't matter. Or Two, the market seeps backwards into these cars, people break their contract to sell to another person at MSRP, and the second owner that's not in the contract flips for 100k over. And perhaps do split with first owner, or not, doesn't matter, won't affect the market if the first owner takes a cut or not.

While I think its a good idea to start doing this, and its a good sign they're trying. Ultimately though, you want to solve the root cause and if they're not a hedge fund, not just putting a bandage on a bone fracture.

What I wish Porsche did was spend just a little bit of time getting to know who the core enthusiasts were, and then finding out how to make those people happy. It's a shame that so many people who live and breathe this stuff and have enough $$$$ to play with it can so easily lose out to some guy who just wants to play a market and has no real porsche history.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul

With all due respect, this is total BS. There are two easy ways to stop flipping.

1. Build more cars. If demand exceeds supply, increase supply to match demand at the price point you've set as MSRP.

If #1 is not possible, then

2. Increase MSRP to a true market clearing price that will eliminate the profit opportunity of flipping.

Either one of those would get cars in the hands of drivers and eliminate flipping. Porsche could do either one of those. They choose not to do so. As such, many of these cars will sit undriven much for years, just like all the RS's out there with less than 1,000 miles on them. It is what it is, but Porsche claiming their hands are tied is pure bull****.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:12 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
And what is the mileage multiplier for tracking them instead of tooling around on regular roads on the nice, no rain, no traffic weekend going to show it off on a coffee and doughnut event?
Hmm it might be harder to prove number of track events. Even if you based it on tire usage, it could be gamed by just doing a bunch of doughnuts.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

All the modern Porsche's, but the cup, were purchased new from a dealer; but various dealers throughout CA.. with exception of 2015 GT3. I was forced to buy from AZ dealer because no CA dealer would sell me one. Sadly I was always forced to buy from different dealers each time. Even now; I bought my '16 RS from Mckenna; and they say they don't have any 991.2 GT3 allocations to sell me a car. Trust me, I have tried to foster relationship with only one dealer; it's impossible. trust me, i would have loved to buy all these cars from one dealer.

List of Cars and Dealer:
2008 Porsche 997.1 GT3-RS (NEW from Hoehn in San Diego)
2010 Porsche 997.2 GT3 Cup (used from 2nd place season finisher of IMSA Cup series)
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder (NEW from Walter's in Riverside)
2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3-RS (NEW from Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills)
2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3 (NEW from Porsche North Scottsdale, AZ)
2016 Porsche 991.1 GT3-RS (NEW from McKenna Porsche in Norwalk)
2017 Porsche 991.2 C4S (NEW from Porsche Newport Beach)
If I were you I would write a letter to PCNA with that list of car and vins if you know them and tell them you are looking for a GT3. Ask them if they can help you find a dealer somewhere in the US that would sell you one. It can't hurt to try and maybe they will start to notice their good customers.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Or give out allocations based on mileage on your current car.
If this was the case I would be toward the top of the list....

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?