Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 - Satin Aluminum Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:28 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
If one of them was unpainted aluminum, that would be it. But all 4 option are painted, afaik
Correct-all painted. The platinum paint on my GT3 wheels is not too durable though.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:05 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess it all depends on where and how you drive your car. I also have the platinum wheels on my GT3 and they're still perfect.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys the U.S configurator is ready, sad thing the manual transmision is not available... it is weird... anyone knows something about this?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
On the left (GT4): regular silver wheel.

On the middle (911R) and on the right (GT3RS) with Satin Aluminum wheel.

Thanka for the pics. Honestly I cannot see the difference. Or, whatever difference there is, it's subtle and wouldn't stand out to the average person or even Porsche-file. Therefore, if I want silver wheels, I'll just get the standard ones and save my $1280 for some other option.

My current .1 GT3 has platinum wheels, which were standard then but optional on .2 GT3 (who knows why Porsche flips these things around and has the nerve to charge so much extra for wheels painted a different color they offer?').

Agree thar hat platinum tends to hide brake dust best. Satin black would probably be ok on that front too. I have an Audi with matte black wheels and they look pretty similar whether clean or dirty.

Seems like bright silver/aluminum wheels have become more fashionable in last year or so, black ones before that, and platinum ones before that. So maybe if I order platinum now for early 2018 delivery I'll be forward thinking?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Seranad
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Thanks for the pics! This is helpful.
yes, thank you!
Old 03-09-2017, 09:58 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Little disappointed with all the black features on the 991rs and now the 991.2gt3! Not a fan of black wheels but AP makes it very hard to not choose black wheels.

That was one of the things I really liked about the 991.1gt3! Most things are painted and that's one of the reasons I think it looked so aggressive but still very classy.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by HGM 10
Hey guys the U.S configurator is ready, sad thing the manual transmision is not available... it is weird... anyone knows something about this?
Manual is only available from September...
Old 03-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Little disappointed with all the black features on the 991rs and now the 991.2gt3! Not a fan of black wheels but AP makes it very hard to not choose black wheels.

That was one of the things I really liked about the 991.1gt3! Most things are painted and that's one of the reasons I think it looked so aggressive but still very classy.
Agree on all points.

I'm still going to get the platinum wheels again, and I plan to get the regular all body color sport design mirrors via ccx or just replace them once the car is delivered. If there is no black on the mirrors, the platinum wheels again look perfect when looking at the car from the side.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:19 PM
BTG3TIT
4th Gear

I have the satin wheels and had them clear coated to make them easier to clean. It helped with brake dust too. It was horrible prior to the clear coat.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BTG3TIT
I have the satin wheels and had them clear coated to make them easier to clean. It helped with brake dust too. It was horrible prior to the clear coat.
Agree, I did cquartz to my entire car including the wheels and it really helps shed the brake dust.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:25 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree, I did cquartz to my entire car including the wheels and it really helps shed the brake dust.
As I understand, C Quartz is mainly to decrease maintenance of cleaning etc, and prevent microscratches, correct? It provides no fraction of the protection of a wrap?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shaytun
As I understand, C Quartz is mainly to decrease maintenance of cleaning etc, and prevent microscratches, correct? It provides no fraction of the protection of a wrap?
It provides some protection, not a wrap level of protection. I don't know anyone who has put Xpel on their wheels. Would be very hard to do and keep looking good.

I did Xpel on the entire front of my car and the mirrors. Everything else I did cquartz, including the wheels which gives it a nice shine and water just beads or runs off the car now, you can just hose off the brake dust. There is some protection to smaller scratches from cquartz so my wheels do look better than some of local track friends, but no its not a wrap level of protection.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Thanka for the pics. Honestly I cannot see the difference. Or, whatever difference there is, it's subtle and wouldn't stand out to the average person or even Porsche-file. Therefore, if I want silver wheels, I'll just get the standard ones and save my $1280 for some other option.

My current .1 GT3 has platinum wheels, which were standard then but optional on .2 GT3 (who knows why Porsche flips these things around and has the nerve to charge so much extra for wheels painted a different color they offer?').

Agree thar hat platinum tends to hide brake dust best. Satin black would probably be ok on that front too. I have an Audi with matte black wheels and they look pretty similar whether clean or dirty.

Seems like bright silver/aluminum wheels have become more fashionable in last year or so, black ones before that, and platinum ones before that. So maybe if I order platinum now for early 2018 delivery I'll be forward thinking?
I've got the Satin aluminium wheels on my RS with steel brakes and they definitely get dirty easily...as you say the platinum colour hides brake dust really well.

In person the main difference is just the finish, Silver wheel has a glossy finish to the paint which is smooth and has a glossy clear coat. The satin wheels just have a dull matte finish. But from about 2m away you can't really tell the difference.

Orange has gloss silver, Purple has satin aluminium

Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrantG
Manual is only available from September...
no way, really...? Wtf
Old 03-09-2017, 10:08 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
It provides some protection, not a wrap level of protection. I don't know anyone who has put Xpel on their wheels. Would be very hard to do and keep looking good.

I did Xpel on the entire front of my car and the mirrors. Everything else I did cquartz, including the wheels which gives it a nice shine and water just beads or runs off the car now, you can just hose off the brake dust. There is some protection to smaller scratches from cquartz so my wheels do look better than some of local track friends, but no its not a wrap level of protection.
I did the CQuartz on my entire car and wheels. I agree, it does work magic, wheels just hose off nicely.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 - Satin Aluminum Wheels?