Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 - Satin Aluminum Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Sorry Eduardo, I thought it was all three. I have to say since I can't get leather to sample and wood (well without mega CXX bucks), I am going Teutonic which I thought I saw you use.

And on the wheels, I think the blue touring is satin aluminium and the black touring is the standard silver, but that is just based on pics because the blue is monochromatic and the black seems to have polished parts (pics and speculation based on the configurator).
Old 09-18-2017, 02:02 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I changed back to the standard wheels. I realize even in the Frankfurt photo the sapphire blue wheels is much brighter than the trim so I don't want to go that light.
This is how I've spec'd for a GR build. The recent Blue touring upclose shots/video of std silver only further solidifies it for me.

Perhaps the paint or clearcoat application has changed (vs optional silver on .1), as std silver seems to really pop on .2's.

Attached pic is of a Swiss delivered Guards Red + std silver wheel + steel brake.
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Sorry Eduardo, I thought it was all three.
I have to say since I can't get leather to
sample and wood (well without mega
CXX bucks), I am going Teutonic which
I thought I saw you use.
Yes, I am all for a Teutonic look in a Porsche...

But I would be concerned if I had alcantara that
the chain maille & metal bits would cause too
much tear & wear! It's fine, however, with the
partial leather seats!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

PS Do you have headroom for that neat helmet?
Now you know why they had a sunroof on the
.1 997 gt3 version!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by PwAg
This is how I've spec'd for a GR build. The recent Blue touring upclose shots/video of std silver only further solidifies it for me.

Perhaps the paint or clearcoat application has changed (vs optional silver on .1), as std silver seems to really pop on .2's.

Attached pic is of a Swiss delivered Guards Red + std silver wheel + steel brake.
If these are the Standard wheels( on the GR above) then I am even more confused between the Standard and Satin Aluminum
Old 09-18-2017, 04:28 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
If these are the Standard wheels( on the GR above) then I am even more confused between the Standard and Satin Aluminum
You and me both Jimmy. I'll just hopefully have to wait to see comparisons in real life or just order the black.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:49 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

I think it's just the lighting with those pics. Here are couple pic of .1 GT3 with the silver wheel for comparison.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post11668917

Old 09-18-2017, 04:52 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Straight from the horses mouth who took delivery of car (immocars.ch).

Example from 991.1 GT3 below... wheel spec'd with silver paint option. They are plenty bright.
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

Nice car...makes me think I am going to paint the front lip spoiler body color when I get mine. Look how clean the car without the lip looks. I did order my rockers painted body color.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 260 Posts

Then this confirms what Gauss is saying, they are much closer to satin aluminum than you would think. The wheels on the black touring just look darker.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:29 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Straight from the horses mouth who took delivery of car (immocars.ch).

Example from 991.1 GT3 below... wheel spec'd with silver paint option. They are plenty bright.
Okay - so those are the Standard??

I guess no sense to pay for the Satin Aluminum because those are plenty bright for me
Old 09-18-2017, 11:05 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

These are standard silver painted wheels. I ordered these as option on 991.1.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

The wheels on the black car on the previous page are also the standard wheels, not Aluminum satin. It's the lighting that makes some believe otherwise. The red one (from immocars) has Aluminum satin ones. I saw the car at the Ring and also spoke with the owner.
Both wheel colors can look equally bright in certain lighting conditions, but aluminum satin looks brighter in dim lighting.
You should choose the standard wheels if you like the glossy look (I do) or the aluminum satin, if you like the matt look.
You can't go wrong with either.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 AM
PwAg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gauss
The wheels on the black car on the previous page are also the standard wheels, not Aluminum satin. It's the lighting that makes some believe otherwise. The red one (from immocars) has Aluminum satin ones. I saw the car at the Ring and also spoke with the owner.
Both wheel colors can look equally bright in certain lighting conditions, but aluminum satin looks brighter in dim lighting.
You should choose the standard wheels if you like the glossy look (I do) or the aluminum satin, if you like the matt look.
You can't go wrong with either.
That is strange. Mathieu @ Immo told me 2 days ago it is standard silver, as I have inquired if the vehicle is for sale. Vehicle on their website (and garage shot), if you look carefully, shows some reflective sections on bottom of wheel, just like green .1 with painted silver posted above.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:28 AM
PwAg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Nice car...makes me think I am going to paint the front lip spoiler body color when I get mine. Look how clean the car without the lip looks. I did order my rockers painted body color.
Believe that is transport protective tape yet to be removed. You can see it on body & it cuts off going partially up black trim.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

@PwAg: You are right, the immocars' has indeed standard silver. My bad. I've just checked with my photos and a video I took. I remember them being very bright. Best example that proves how easily fooled you can get.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 - Satin Aluminum Wheels?