Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:01 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Is this good or bad? I know you have posted in other threads that Porsche is about to announce the next RS at Goodwood, so has obviously done the next RS before the GT3 was in customer hands.

PAG generally runs on a 7 year development cycle with priorities being changed from time to time - e.g. They were talking about the 911 Hybrid in their investor materials in 2014 and perhaps even before.

I think McLaren runs a little shorter, but has also been very open with their model range increase targets over the coming years.

Depending on how one see things.

The RS that will appear in Goodwood is not quite related to the GT3, it's another couple price category up as a GT2RS. 720LT will be in the one directly above 720S, and some people that are buying McLaren are looking for the 'fastest' car in the segment, which the 720S will clearly be, the announcement about the LT basically means telling these buyers to skip the 720S and go directly to 720LT.

Do the same thing happen with Porsche GT3 buyers? Do they skip the GT3 and waiting for the GT2RS? NO, they are for completely different market segments.

Last time around, McLaren at least made a good amount of 650 before announcing the 675LT, this time they basically overlap the timing. Their marketing department is seriously in need of a complete overhaul on how they market their products.

McLaren plays in a very different segment than Porsche, they really have no 'price segment' for their customers, those that can afford a 720S can surely afford a 720LT too.

For some reason I think they are running on the iPhone cycle, basically refreshes the car every year, it's great for their bottom line as they can force customers to keep upgrading and buying new cars, but sucks for the customers as every year their cars drops that much more in value.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:26 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Whoopsy this is not totally correct.

Mike Flewitt basically said that eventually they would do it. They won't do it until 2019, and by then a spider will be for sale in Q4 possibly. Just as we all know eventually there will be a Gt3 RS AND a GT2RS. Enough has been explained by porsche on both.

Some people get a GT3, then trade for a GT3RS. Now, not many people can afford anything past 225k so the GT2RS, 720, 488 etc are all different leagues ahead of a 167,500 GT3.

The bigger crossover between mclaren models is the spider/ coupe thing and not the coupe vs LT.

As CAlexio says- the 675LT is a roaring beast of a car that will pull the pants down on any car not called 918/p1/ LaFerrari and slap it in the taint.

But that's obvious on paper as well- it is super light and super powerful and has a MUCH more sophisticated suspension than everything else.

Comparing a 400k 675LT and a 370k 720S is really a first world problem. BUT for clarity- the LT is marginally lighter. The 720 is lighter than the 650S was but is not lighter than an LT. Both are WAY lighter than a Porsche.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:30 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Alexio,

How do you get access to so many great cars? I'm jealous.

Are you still planning on a .2 GT3, or is Mclaren seducing you enough to buy one of theirs????
Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Whoopsy this is not totally correct.

Mike Flewitt basically said that eventually they would do it. They won't do it until 2019, and by then a spider will be for sale in Q4 possibly. Just as we all know eventually there will be a Gt3 RS AND a GT2RS. Enough has been explained by porsche on both.

Some people get a GT3, then trade for a GT3RS. Now, not many people can afford anything past 225k so the GT2RS, 720, 488 etc are all different leagues ahead of a 167,500 GT3.

The bigger crossover between mclaren models is the spider/ coupe thing and not the coupe vs LT.

As CAlexio says- the 675LT is a roaring beast of a car that will pull the pants down on any car not called 918/p1/ LaFerrari and slap it in the taint.

But that's obvious on paper as well- it is super light and super powerful and has a MUCH more sophisticated suspension than everything else.

Comparing a 400k 675LT and a 370k 720S is really a first world problem. BUT for clarity- the LT is marginally lighter. The 720 is lighter than the 650S was but is not lighter than an LT. Both are WAY lighter than a Porsche.
Good stuff CJ!
Old 03-19-2017, 02:50 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 148 Posts

Just to share what it's like to drive an LT on track, here's my track day at Laguna almost a year ago. The car is amazing on track.. and is beyond my capabilities to be sure. I typically track a track prepped miata (spec but with a supercharger) as I believe firmly in the learn how to drive fast in a slow car and work your way up.

I did a 1:38:55 - which is not fast by any means. But I would characterize myself as a intermediate driver. I hadn't driven Laguna for 8 years prior to this either. And we were sound restricted to 90db... so I had to lift just a tad at the sound station.

Here's in car video:

Here's a different angle of the same lap:

Finally here's the active aero in action.. as it rises over the crest at T1 notice it deploys a little to settle the rear down.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:23 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

McLaren first time around was rough - depreciation dealership track rules lots of little things etc.

It's tempting to grab a 675LT Spider or wait for the 720 spider.

Prefer the hard core version but it's no big deal and be nice to spec a car with Mclaren.

Rumor - St Louis is getting a dealer!
Old 03-19-2017, 02:31 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
McLaren first time around was rough - depreciation dealership track rules lots of little things etc.

It's tempting to grab a 675LT Spider or wait for the 720 spider.

Prefer the hard core version but it's no big deal and be nice to spec a car with Mclaren.

Rumor - St Louis is getting a dealer!
I'm in escrow on Chicago...so if you need help let me know
Old 03-19-2017, 02:34 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

I'm in escrow on Chicago...so if you need help let me know
Chicago is getting a 2nd franchise?

Lots of STL guys have to send their cars to Chicago for F cars.

If you are willing to work out a deal like one of the F dealers be more than happy to spread the word. Appreciate the honesty had no idea been told by a few TB is doing another deal in STL but ...
Old 03-19-2017, 04:25 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Chicago is getting a 2nd franchise?

Lots of STL guys have to send their cars to Chicago for F cars.

If you are willing to work out a deal like one of the F dealers be more than happy to spread the word. Appreciate the honesty had no idea been told by a few TB is doing another deal in STL but ...
Jumping in to answer-

Hmm.. Interesting you mention STL. I've been drawing lines and marking spots for Mac flags and I thought STL was a potential spot. Dissecting the country N to S & E to W.

Chicago will be a takeover of the current dealership & yes we will be happy to run the I-55 corridor to service cars in the region.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:23 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by German_Saint
Jumping in to answer-

Hmm.. Interesting you mention STL. I've been drawing lines and marking spots for Mac flags and I thought STL was a potential spot. Dissecting the country N to S & E to W.

Chicago will be a takeover of the current dealership & yes we will be happy to run the I-55 corridor to service cars in the region.
Excellent and appreciated.

Nothing confirmed in STL - just chatter as you stated is does make sense hope it makes $ sense. Chicago if it's got the right people can easily service STL. Continental works out fine they attend the European Auto etc.

Look forward to talking - any timing on 720S.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 03-20-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Was doing my weekly scan of the RS ads on Autotrader today and I threw in the 570S just for fun. Holy schnike, there are a ton of 570S's for sale on AT. I didn't even know they produced that many cars.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Just as we all know eventually there will be a Gt3 RS AND a GT2RS. Enough has been explained by porsche on both.
And yet some remain confused.....
Old 03-19-2017, 07:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Alexio,

How do you get access to so many great cars? I'm jealous.

Are you still planning on a .2 GT3, or is Mclaren seducing you enough to buy one of theirs????
I don't want to take the thread off topic, but I'm fortunate to have a very good and trusting friend who is under the mistaken belief that I'm a decent driver.

I do believe I will have access to a manual GT3possibly in Spring 2018, that's all I'll say about it until I know it to be for sure. Having driven the 911r all week on the road, I can say that the idea of that car with a decent top end surge - Which the new GT3 is purported to have - Sounds like the perfect car for a man like me who can only have room for one daily car, and one weekend sports car, under the $200k mark. Great for road twisties and track.

However, while at the track I spent most of the day doing some mild instructing to the track newbies in our group, but when it was my turn to drive it was a mad rush for the keys to the 675LT, not the P1. That car is absolutely perfect, except for the fact that it's out of my budget. So to answer your question, the only car that will ever pull me away from Porsche, is if they make a 570 LT… if McLaren makes that car, a track version of the sublime 570 S somewhere in the $250,000 price range, that would be absolutely irresistible. Contrary to what whoopsy is saying above, having spent a lot of time around McLaren marketing in this past year, I believe they are doing such an amazing job stealing customers from every other brand... I never considered one before, and now I know exactly what it would take for me to choose a mclaren as my sole sports car.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:31 PM
TheGhost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grendel88
most attention comes from car guys and teens...
Sad reality. I hoped my Porsche would be a chick magnet, but instead it turned out to be a magnet for middle-age dudes and teenagers. Chicks don't even know what the hell a GT4 is.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:36 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm becoming more and more interested in McLaren as an alternative and also hope we see a 570LT in the near future. I may give it a shot.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success