Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
Agree. We should be thankful that all these brands exist which provide options for consumers and competition between the car makers.

Exactly! Mclaren has set the bar high. This means that the 488 replacement due in a year or so will be likely better than if no direct competitor existed. Who wins? Car enthusiast who like to buy cars!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:25 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Exactly! Mclaren has set the bar high. This means that the 488 replacement due in a year or so will be likely better than if no direct competitor existed. Who wins? Car enthusiast who like to buy cars!
As I'm sure you know, McLaren opened a new composite technology center where it will produce its own tubs and other carbon components. They're also investing heavily into hybridization and electrification. Considering those investments and how far they've already come in 7 years, I'm confident the brand will continue to set performance benchmarks in their respective market segments. They don't have the production car history of Porsche or Ferrari so they need to stand out in other ways. Similar to Porsche, they tend to understate the performance of their cars which has become a conversation point in the enthusiast community (ie. free marketing). The next Super Series LT will undoubtedly be tempting for loyalists of other brands, just as the 600LT has been.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

there are definitely some great cars available. Contact C.J. and he can source and ship you a car. You won’t regret the experience.
Thanks for the info! I didn't see much resale 720S inventory at McLaren Scottsdale, but I'll reach out to CJ. Interesting what you said about the 488. I'm headed to Las Vegas next week and I've rented a 488 Spyder through Royalty Exotics for 24 hrs. so I excited to make the comparison of the 488 Spyder to the 720S!

I also can't wait to see what Ferrari does after the 488. Equally exited to see the 7XXLT Spyder in a few years as well and the follow up to the P1!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:51 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmac
Thanks for the info! I didn't see much resale 720S inventory at McLaren Scottsdale, but I'll reach out to CJ. Interesting what you said about the 488. I'm headed to Las Vegas next week and I've rented a 488 Spyder through Royalty Exotics for 24 hrs. so I excited to make the comparison of the 488 Spyder to the 720S!

I also can't wait to see what Ferrari does after the 488. Equally exited to see the 7XXLT Spyder in a few years as well and the follow up to the P1!
rhe 488 is amazing. But drive both 488 and 720. Great cars but just different. If you decide on a Mclaren product- just reach out to CJ- his team will take care of you. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:54 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Just read the Febuary Road&Track article on the 600LT... The only magazine I now read from cover to end.
They are confirming what you guys are saying: The best Mac available for sale now.

I have been lurking a 570GT for a while... to replace my 3.
Still not conviced I would like the turbo engine vs my NA one but thinking about it still. Cant test it now, it is winter up here.

Anyone with a 570GT? I dont need a track capable car as I have a dedicated one. More for WE fun...

Good infos on this tread (weird stuff too...)! :-)
Old 01-19-2019, 09:51 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

I have a GT. What would you like to know?
Old 01-19-2019, 10:07 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Overall experience, thoughts
Am I lunatic considering swapping my beloved GT3 for it?

I love my current car but I like change and new experience too... not bad ones though
Went from 2014 GT3 to 2016 RS and to the current one. All awesome but similar experience...
Old 01-19-2019, 10:40 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Just read the Febuary Road&Track article on the 600LT... The only magazine I now read from cover to end.
They are confirming what you guys are saying: The best Mac available for sale now.

I have been lurking a 570GT for a while... to replace my 3.
Still not conviced I would like the turbo engine vs my NA one but thinking about it still. Cant test it now, it is winter up here.

Anyone with a 570GT? I dont need a track capable car as I have a dedicated one. More for WE fun...

Good infos on this tread (weird stuff too...)! :-)
Slightly OT.. I thought I just read that road & track just ceased to exist as a print magazine, just going digital.. end of a 50 year saga
Old 01-19-2019, 10:43 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

So I haven’t owned a GT3. Had a 4GTS before the mclaren but had an unfortunate incident with the 911 ;-) Couldn’t get a GT3 allocation so looked for alternatives.

Most of my driving use is in the city. A few track days a year but focus is daily use. Mclaren is odles of fun. As most have said, power is amazing. Coming from NA Porsche’s, you will notice a bit of lag, much less so when car is track mode (which I leave it in all the time). Torque is great. For me, instant power is what I want for City use. Quick bursts of power and then back to sanity. Having a high revving engine just isn’t practical for the city.

Handling is crisp and precise, better so than the 911.

I will say the 911 does feel more planted. I attribute that to the fact that the mclaren is so goddam light with the carbon tub and also due to the fact that the tires are much skinnier than what you find on a 911. Will be taking to the track for the first time this summer so will be curious to see how it handles the corners.

Comfort wise, much more comfortable than the 911. Seats are snug but comfy. Could do a 10 hour drive and be fine. Interior is beautiful. Bathed in leather, carbon and tons of alcantara. It’s a simple design but elegant and super exotic. Way way nicer than the 911. I also love the rear hatch of the GT. Not much luggage room for the rear but I prefer the lines of the rear in the GT over the 570s. And then there are the doors. Great design and eye popping every time you open them.

I live in Toronto. 4 million plus population. On any given day, I’ll see dozens of 911s. I’ve had the mclaren since July, 2018 and have seen maybe 10 mclarens on the road. Maybe less. Still very uncommon. And like any “exotic” it gets TONS of attention. But I have found it to be all good. Millennials, hipsters, antifahs, lesbians, etc all love the car. Even had a homeless guy go crazy over it (and I took him for a spin!). When I had the 911, I would get sneers.... I find that people think Porsche drivers are ********. For the most part they are right. I don’t think the average person knows what a mclaren is.

So for me, driving less than 20 km a day to and from work, spirited drives on the weekend, it’s an awesome car. I wish the infotainment system wasn’t so “laggy”. Sometimes there is a 1 second delay between pressing a station on the satellite radio and it going to that station but I can live with it. I’m still not sure if I’ll move to a GT3RS in a couple of years or stay with the mclaren. I just think the mclaren is better for me for my use.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Not an owner of a 570 but I did an extended test drive back when I had an RS. The turbo lag if you keep the rpms low on the 570 was not something I liked. I don’t think I was driving in the right mode because others have not had the same experience as me.

the 720- no lag at all, lots of powers. With the 570, you really need to keep the rpms higher. The experience is totally different than a gt3 as it’s a turbo vs NA. Just drive one and see how you like it.

You might also want to check out the 600lt as that is more raw and many have said one of the best Mclarens yet. Have not driven it so can’t comment on that.

We have some actual owners here of the 570 so obviously they will give you more detailed feedback.

edit: please see Moab’s excellent review above.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Thx for the great feedback. I'll have time to think about it (-20 celcius here today...) but it is an itch I have to scratch at some point...
Old 01-19-2019, 12:31 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Agree on 570. Had a nice test drive session and the lag was the only thing that kept me away. I'd love to spend some quality time testing a 600LT. On a side note - could you imagine how we would all be tripping over ourselves to buy a 600LT IF it was a naturally aspirated 8 making 600hp?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:40 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Agree on 570. Had a nice test drive session and the lag was the only thing that kept me away. I'd love to spend some quality time testing a 600LT. On a side note - could you imagine how we would all be tripping over ourselves to buy a 600LT IF it was a naturally aspirated 8 making 600hp?
yeah NA would be epic- but we all know that’s going away and Mclaren is just getting ahead of the curve.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:31 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded my 991 TTS last October and have about 1500km on my 570S since then. Unfortunately its up on the lift til snow and ice disappear.
My thoughts are:
TTS better brakes, definitely more capable at high speed with less effort to stop. 570S still good but you'll need to reach a bit further and firmer to stop quickly. Overall less touchy on the Mac
Handling id say 570S is more direct and I love the steering feel. You feel every bump and line in the pavement but not in a bad way. Porsche is a bit numb but still very good. Both cars are a breeze to drive fast.
Looks definitely goes to the 570s but that's subjective..
Interior comfort Id say more room in the 911 but more comfortable in the 570. 570 definitely more exotic look and feel.
Sound goes to 570 without a doubt over any of the turbo models, but the gt3 at rev and the 570 at rev id say are pretty close.
Depreciation I have yet to see, but I did take a beating on the 911 so I don't expect much worse on this car
Quality of material I'd give to 911, Mac is good but not quite up to the German standards
Overall driving experience definitely goes to the 570 imo.
Haven't had any issues yet but the car has limited miles and time will tell.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:57 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 535 Posts

if interested Grand Tour season 3 first episode Jeromy reviews the Senna
available on Amazon Prime

Quick Reply: McLaren Success