Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in-it's the real deal. And a different perspective from the " horse's mouth "

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 05:42 PM
donuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neanicu
Please go back and read the article again. That did not come up into discussion. It is common sense not to rev the heck out of an engine cold at any time and in any car.
It just seems strange to me that the least amount of friction or wear occurs below normal operating temperature. Doesn't it seem logical that an engine maker would want the parts to fit best or expand due to heat at the exact temperature which the engine would be operating at most of the time?
Old 02-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

This is rich. Based on a lot of comments, the defense for not following any kind of break-in procedure is based on the engineering principals of....impatience! Followed by the scientific method of, well, my engine didn't blow up. Kind of like preaching that condoms aren't necessary just because she didn't pregnant after your first time.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
This is rich. Based on a lot of comments, the defense for not following any kind of break-in procedure is based on the engineering principals of....impatience! Followed by the scientific method of, well, my engine didn't blow up. Kind of like preaching that condoms aren't necessary just because she didn't pregnant after your first time.
Yip. I think you sum it up well there Serge. Now rinse and repeat 3 times for some of us 991 GT3 owners and you will get the gist. I did 3500km first engine 2013, 11,000 km second engine 2014-2015 and about to embark again for break in in new engine Feb 2016. I KNOW my engine 2 didn't fail due to break in, so in hindsight I'm glad I didn't break it in over 3000km.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Yip. I think you sum it up well there Serge. Now rinse and repeat 3 times for some of us 991 GT3 owners and you will get the gist. I did 3500km first engine 2013, 11,000 km second engine 2014-2015 and about to embark again for break in in new engine Feb 2016. I KNOW my engine 2 didn't fail due to break in, so in hindsight I'm glad I didn't break it in over 3000km.
Macca - in hindsight, you did the right thing. If you didn't do it this way, you wouldn't have enjoyed the car!

I don't care to be right or wrong, nor do I care how people choose to treat their cars. What rubs me the wrong way is when people promote doing something the wrong way. Since this isn't Jalopnik, and mechanically-uneducated people come here to gain "knowledge," I think some should exercise additional reservation before posting certain "advice."
Old 02-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd be interested what the break in for the GT4 clubsport reads in the manual? Maybe CJ Can chime in. Bet it doesn't say 3000 km etc...

I have a database of 16+ failed engines. Talking with the owners most followed the break in.

I'm on my third engine. If I followed the 3000 recommendation for each engine then I may never have gotten to drive it at redline yet lol!
All I would add, Mark, is that the issues involved in our replaced and failed GT3 engines are being traced to specific design or parts problems that almost surely are not related in any way to how the car was broken in. I get what you're saying, though, about how following factory recommendations with this GT3 might have limited your chances to ever drive it at the limit!.

As happens every time we have this discussion, there are always alternative methods offered, personal philosophies aired, and anecdotal examples presented. Which begs the question; do you follow the recommendations of those sources, or Porsche? TEHO....
Old 02-19-2016, 06:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike. I'm just having a it of fun with this old chestnut as always. Each to there own with break in. In a perfect world I'd give it two tanks of gas then go for it. With my new G engine I pick it up then drive 2500 km to the first track I started with on our tour at the opposite tip of the country! So my break in will be done per factory requirement first time in 3 engines, purely by accident lol!
Old 02-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi Mike. I'm just having a it of fun with this old chestnut as always. Each to there own with break in. In a perfect world I'd give it two tanks of gas then go for it. With my new G engine I pick it up then drive 2500 km to the first track I started with on our tour at the opposite tip of the country! So my break in will be done per factory requirement first time in 3 engines, purely by accident lol!
I'm just glad you're getting it done in time. Have a safe trip!
Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Macca - in hindsight, you did the right thing. If you didn't do it this way, you wouldn't have enjoyed the car! I don't care to be right or wrong, nor do I care how people choose to treat their cars. What rubs me the wrong way is when people promote doing something the wrong way. Since this isn't Jalopnik, and mechanically-uneducated people come here to gain "knowledge," I think some should exercise additional reservation before posting certain "advice."
Easy on the "wrong way" language. Many of us take direct advice from seasoned Porsche engine mechanics. Not all opinions (even from the experts) align like the stars.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Easy on the "wrong way" language. Many of us take direct advice from seasoned Porsche engine mechanics. Not all opinions (even from the experts) align like the stars.
Lol! I've documented what the factory technicians told me about the break in when I was in Stuttgart in Dec 2013 doing DE on my Gt3. Take it easy for the first tank, vary revs only move to upper reaches when engine is warm and don't redline. Second tank drive it like you intend but just make suppress it's warm when hitting the higher reaches. This was all recorded in my thread back in the day and has been repeated a number of times....

Mike. Thanks for well wishes. G engine is in and it's ready to go. I fly in next week, pick it up and have a 300km fast road drive planned on the 28 to shake it down and make sure all couplings are dry etc before heading south. My buddies engine was expitideted from Germany this week and is due into workshop next week so it appears he will have his just in time too...
Old 02-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And others who claim lack of real throttle input in first few miles negatively affects long term performance. I say, do what you believe. Funny how similar to life that is huh.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:53 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Think that's a BMW rumor ...........took delivery on my M5 in Germany for a drive at 160 on the autobaun no issues what so ever on reduced power. Break in on M cars 1200 miles. My recent add M4 did a 300 mile break in, and full power no issues on less power. Three M cars no power loss before oil and tranny fluid change. No recommending I run a full tank of car and vary the speed and have never had a issue, and not recommending. It would have taken me a year to put 2000 miles on my GT3 so no can do for me.
This... I also picked up my M5 via ED. Would have done it with my 3 if I had a chance to build it.
I also asked SEVERAL folks at the Welt about the tune being changed to release the full power at the initial break in service.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:00 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great post.

Though, I learned this in my first year in Vo-tech when I was 15.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Never did, nor believed in, break-in.

Eats into my time with the car, and it eats into my OEM warranty period.

Plus, in all honesty, break-in is probably as much for the car as it is for the owner/driver. Better to get used to the car before enjoying the 9k symphony is probably what PAG engineers and lawyers are thinking.

But really, just a car. Just drive it. It breaks, it breaks. It's a mechanical thing. Don't overthink things.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That article is one BS that arose here to a rank of a bible.
I am not saying that you should not break-in the engine, it's just it is full of very general information that makes no sense at all.
1. Why 4000rpm limit? They found it the right rpm limit at the factory, right? So please tell me why it is only in NA manuals? ROW don't have this rpm limit although there is a specific break-in procedure described. For my guess it is because US law is freaking weird where you can sue cigarette companies for your lung cancer, Mc Donald's for serving hot coffee, microwave companies for not putting in the manual information that you can't dry your cat inside, etc, etc.
I see a guy suing Porsche for not telling him "drive carefully at the beginning as this is damn fast car and you can hurt yourself".
2. The thermal expansion thing... A broken-in engine's parts don't unevenly thermally expand? You will hurt any engine if you rev it cold!
Keeping the engine below 4000rpm for the first 2000 miles? Good luck with carbon build-up and stuff with DFI engine...
Old 02-20-2016, 12:26 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

The dealership told me keep it under 4000 for approx 700 miles. AP has his own take, and the manual says 2000 miles. I would stick with something between AP and what the manual says (they know more than me).

If I was buying a preowned GT car, and I got the vibe that the owner was one of those drive it like you stole it, track it after the first tank of gas, kind of guys, I would probably pass on that car. So if anything, following or not following break in procedure might affect the pool of guys interested in purchasing your car down the road. Many probably don't care about that but some may.

Quick Reply: Break in-it's the real deal. And a different perspective from the " horse's mouth "