Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in-it's the real deal. And a different perspective from the " horse's mouth "

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016 | 02:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Absolutely, Nick. Given that it was first published in a PCA region newsletter the article wasn't widely disseminated. I'm glad you discovered and posted the it!
Thanks Mike. Credit goes to Rennlist member d00d,as mentioned in the first post.
Old 02-19-2016 | 02:41 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Originally Posted by Serge944
Good post. I am still amazed that some people completely ignore break-in
+1

I subscribe to the KISS mantra. Keep It Simple Stoopid.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations as written in the manual.
Old 02-19-2016 | 02:42 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Serge944
BMW is the smartest manufacturer to address break-in with the M model lineup. All their cars run a "break-in" engine tune which reduces power (this is quite easy with turbo engines). First service is at 1,200 miles for software update. I think all manufacturers should do this.
Think that's a BMW rumor ...........took delivery on my M5 in Germany for a drive at 160 on the autobaun no issues what so ever on reduced power. Break in on M cars 1200 miles. My recent add M4 did a 300 mile break in, and full power no issues on less power. Three M cars no power loss before oil and tranny fluid change. No recommending I run a full tank of car and vary the speed and have never had a issue, and not recommending. It would have taken me a year to put 2000 miles on my GT3 so no can do for me.
Old 02-19-2016 | 02:57 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
But then why don't they have these same mileage distances for ROW break-in?
this is the part that bothers me, if Porsche are concerned about bedding an engine in, why only in the US?
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:01 PM
donuts
Instructor

I thought the general consensus was to wait until the engine was fully warmed up before going beyond 4k (not just during break in).

This article makes it seem like the "safest" time to go to redline is when the engine is barely warm??????
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tgibrit
this is the part that bothers me, if Porsche are concerned about bedding an engine in, why only in the US?
There's a break in specification in ROW manuals as well AFAIK.
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
There's a break in specification in ROW manuals as well AFAIK.
Only some countries and most of them were just recently updated with the "hint".
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by donuts
I thought the general consensus was to wait until the engine was fully warmed up before going beyond 4k (not just during break in). This article makes it seem like the "safest" time to go to redline is when the engine is barely warm??????
Please go back and read the article again. That did not come up into discussion. It is common sense not to rev the heck out of an engine cold at any time and in any car.
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:14 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Thanks Nick. Perfect timing.
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:16 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Boy, is this a tired topic. Anyway, just for the record, if Porsche are so concerned about rev limits, then why in their own fatherland does the German owners manual say absolutely nothing about a rev limit other than to say not to over rev when cold (sensible advice at any mileage), avoid competing in Motorsport events, etc for the first 3000kms. That's it.
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by donuts
I thought the general consensus was to wait until the engine was fully warmed up before going beyond 4k (not just during break in).

This article makes it seem like the "safest" time to go to redline is when the engine is barely warm??????
That wasn't my reading of the procedure. The article mentions that the few engines that are hot tested are run in controlled steps up to approximately 80% of redline, not maximum RPM. This allows for warming of the engine and lubricants. So while the engine can be run safely at moderately high RPM for a brief period the engine isn't allowed to reach the kinds of temperatures where full thermal expansion of parts is reached and wear can occur.

I think the point is that the whole process is tightly controlled and monitored in a way that makes it safe on an engine stand under no load, but not a procedure you'd want to try and duplicate in your own car on the road.

Originally Posted by tgibrit
Does someone have the exact break-in wording (if any) from a ROW owner's manual?

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Boy, is this a tired topic. Anyway, just for the record, if Porsche are so concerned about rev limits, then why in their own fatherland does the German owners manual say absolutely nothing about a rev limit other than to say not to over rev when cold (sensible advice at any mileage), avoid competing in Motorsport events, etc for the first 3000kms. That's it.
Even if that's all it says, there are still owners who believe that it's ok to track their car within a couple hundred miles of driving off the lot, which seems to fly in the face of even the most lenient interpretation of what Porsche considers as a proper break-in.
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:26 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

What procedure is used for race teams to break in the GT3R engine?

In LBST we:

1. put crate motor in car (already broken in on dyno by manufacturer -- same as Porsche BTW)

2. take 3 easy laps, pit, ensure nothing on fire

3. go racing

I realize the life expectancy of an engine used for racing vs street is not the same, but in both of these production race cars (GT3R, LP620-2 Super Trofeo) the engines are the same as their street counterparts
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:31 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
Please go back and read the article again. That did not come up into discussion. It is common sense not to rev the heck out of an engine cold at any time and in any car.
Trakcar said it best when he stated he lets his car's oil temp get to 180*F. This is a good measure for anyone heading onto the track or driving hard on the street. Our minimum on the Next Level European Cayman racecar is to let the oil get to 150*F before we go anywhere near redline. Even then I take it easy on the car running at 6/10 pace until it gets around the 180*F mark. This is standard.

Also when you are running a car in cold temps make sure that you not only get the oil up to temp but that it stays there. Sometimes it is easy to get the oil up to temp idling around the paddock but once you get on track make sure it stays above the 150*F mark. I have seen a nice 400hp E46M3 motor become a boat anchor because the driver didn't have an alarm set for low temp on this AIM dash and the oil went below 150*F for his entire practice session.
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:32 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
What procedure is used for race teams to break in the GT3R engine? In LBST we: 1. put crate motor in car (already broken in on dyno by manufacturer -- same as Porsche BTW) 2. take 3 easy laps, pit, ensure nothing on fire 3. go racing I realize the life expectancy of an engine used for racing vs street is not the same, but in both of these production race cars (GT3R, LP620-2 Super Trofeo) the engines are the same

The industry standard approximated engine life expectancy for street cars is 100K miles. You don't think it's the same for race engines,do you?
Old 02-19-2016 | 03:32 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

In two of the driving courses I have attended at Leipzig, I have rented two different GT3s. Both had nominal kms on the clock. Both were revved to within an inch of their life around the track. Then jumping into the instructors car for a taxi ride, same thing. So not even Porsche flow the advice.

Quick Reply: Break in-it's the real deal. And a different perspective from the " horse's mouth "