Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 04:43 PM
911 NUT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MWAR99: Since Porsche requires elimination of spark plugs and coils as a problem, there must be a problem there,or they wouldn’t waste the money to do those tests. They would go directly to removing the engine. And if replacing plugs eliminated the high rpm misses in the 2nd gear test, you might be lucky and the problem might have been the plugs. Just enjoy the car as long as you can before the follower problem shows up. Then you can reset the clock! I’m getting a new engine with 12,000 miles on the car. At the very least I should get several thousand miles on the car before the problem shows up again, if it does. And with another 6 1/2 years of warranty on the problem. I’m going to continue driving my car with the objective of improving my lap times until I can’t drive anymore ( I’m 75!). I hope to out last the warranty, but my wife would like me to quit the track stuff now!

I forgot to say that my mechanic did a very clever thing when he replaced my plugs as part of the major service. He swapped the coils from the failing cylinder number 2 with number 1. When it still failed, he looked to see if the failure had moved with the coil. It had not. That eliminated the coil as the culprit. So he spared me a separate test with replacing the coils, etc. He had my engine out in nothing flat and the cover off showing the problem, and the info submitted to Porsche, and received authorization to order an engine!

Unfortunately i I discovered the 2nd gear test to late to avoid most of my problems. Hopefully it will help other folks!

If I had been aware of the valuable info on Rennlist, plus the 2nd gear test. It would have saved me 800 miles of disappointment and $1750 for the major service on a bad engine because the plug test would have been covered by warranty.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:32 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
I would be very careful with this line of Porsche thinking.

IIRC the CEL from worn finger followers disappears for a while if you just let the car stand, change random things (few days in the workshop), do not drive it hard etc. So the dealer can indefinitely have you bring in the car with a worn finger follower CEL, change some random thing (as long as it takes a few days), bill Porsche for it, give it back without CEL and repeat.

At the very least I would demand to get the broken parts, especially the coils. Those things can be tested.
My CEL was a permanent one, it didn't clear if the car sat. The reduced performance reset at restart and you could get it to engage again if you ran the car hard and up to over 7K.

I know the spark plug was busted, I saw it. And see my other comment below about the coil pack. I still do feel as if something else is contributing, but only time will tell. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:45 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911 NUT
MWAR99: Since Porsche requires elimination of spark plugs and coils as a problem, there must be a problem there,or they wouldn’t waste the money to do those tests. They would go directly to removing the engine...Just enjoy the car as long as you can before the follower problem shows up. Then you can reset the clock! I’m getting a new engine with 12,000 miles on the car.

I forgot to say that my mechanic did a very clever thing when he replaced my plugs as part of the major service. He swapped the coils from the failing cylinder number 2 with number 1. When it still failed, he looked to see if the failure had moved with the coil. It had not. That eliminated the coil as the culprit...

If I had been aware of the valuable info on Rennlist, plus the 2nd gear test. It would have saved me 800 miles of disappointment and $1750 for the major service on a bad engine because the plug test would have been covered by warranty.
With my coil pack they did what they did on your car and the misfire followed the coil pack. With the spark plug it was damaged this time so we'll see.

I've got about 17,500 miles on the car so far with about 1,000 track miles. I intend to continue enjoying adding miles to the car!

As it relates to what you paid for with the service you should ask Porsche for the money back as it ended up as wasted, at least what was paid for the engine maintenance. You might be surprised what they do.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:14 PM
911 NUT
Track Day

Mwar99:

looks like you don’t have a follower problem. Or you have a combination of problems. But they would have seen misfires that didn’t follow the coil if u had follower issues. Maybe u really do have a combination of coil and plug problems!

did I understand that you go to to AMP?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:38 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Mwar99:

looks like you don’t have a follower problem. Or you have a combination of problems. But they would have seen misfires that didn’t follow the coil if u had follower issues. Maybe u really do have a combination of coil and plug problems!

did I understand that you go to to AMP?
You may be correct...but I still am not 100% that I don't have it. So I will enjoy driving it and see what happens.

I have been to AMP for the Smokies trips. I'm too far away in NJ to make it a regular occurrence. Plus I would have to up my track budget to replace the right front tire after almost every day at the track The right front tire took a beating on the sweepers there.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:08 AM
911 NUT
Track Day

Mwar99: you’re not kidding about the right front tire. I have to swap L and R after a couple of days. If you ever return, let me know. I am a member and retired and would meet you there and we could swap war stories!
Old 10-27-2017, 12:50 AM
911 NUT
Track Day

MWAR99, if you get in the area, I can sponsor you as a,guest. I guess you know how it works.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:56 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

MWAR99,just a suggestion. After their .”fix” which almost certainly won’t fix the problem, ask to have the mechanic ride with you and demonstrate the failure. I did that and he was immediately a believer that it was the follower/cam lobe problem. The service manager then ordered the engine removed from the car, and the cover removed, etc..
This. All you need to do hit a couple close to 9k shifts. It shouldn't take but a 5 min drive.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:12 PM
911 NUT
Track Day

Meaker, that may work work for some, but not for me. Mine required several seconds between 8200 and 8500.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:53 PM
911 NUT
Track Day

Meaker: My point, my point, I missed my point :-) All of my misses according to the engine controller were between 8200 and 8500, nothing above 8500. So revving to 9000 in 1st and 2nd doesn’t allow.much time for misses unless they are a very high percentage. (9000 in 3rd I won’t do on a public highway, although it would allow much more time for misses to be counted). So your car must have a more worn cam/follower than mine,producing more misses.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:07 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Mwar99: you’re not kidding about the right front tire. I have to swap L and R after a couple of days. If you ever return, let me know. I am a member and retired and would meet you there and we could swap war stories!
You should join us for the Smokies gathering. Hopefully I can make this spring trip. It's a great group that gets together and a great charity that gets supported by the spring trip.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:22 AM
911 NUT
Track Day

MWAR99, We’re getting off topic here. Can u send me a PM with ur email or phone no for texting? I don’t know how!
Old 10-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Default Compensation?

With the number of GT3s hitting this problem, and dealers forcing owners to return multiple times and often pay for unnecessary work, like plus and coils, what are Porsche or the dealer doing about compensation? If it's taking 4-6w and missed expensive track days, it seems there should be some compensation for owners who get hit with this issue?
Old 10-28-2017, 02:10 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
With the number of GT3s hitting this problem, and dealers forcing owners to return multiple times and often pay for unnecessary work, like plus and coils, what are Porsche or the dealer doing about compensation? If it's taking 4-6w and missed expensive track days, it seems there should be some compensation for owners who get hit with this issue?
Isn’t the extended warranty and new engine compensation enough?
Old 10-28-2017, 03:00 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

A brand new engine and a warranty that goes on and on...

Is there an auto company that has responded better in this type of situation?

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?