Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MotorTrend: Viper ACR versus C7 Z06 versus RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:46 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

List on ACR Ext is $128,500 Including shipping and Guzzler Tax. No options necessary...
Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have an idea on what the aero downforce numbers are for the GT3RS, GT3 Cup, and RSR? The hood venting and wheel cut outs of the RSR should mean serious downforce.

I assume, if one wants, they could take their RS, add the bigger wing, add double dive planes, add the wider wheels, add stickier rubber, and get dang close to those 3 secs with just the little 500 hp vs the 640 hp.

Why didn't they run the RS on the drag strip? The 0-60 and qtr mile times were not that impressive, and not much more than GT3 numbers. So it then boils down to carrying speed through corners.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

anyone notice the amount of roller over on the ACR's front outside/loaded tyre in the corners- looks like it would benefit from hard shoulders. Looks scary and risks deflation or blowout!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I disagree,

Porsche RS DNA is track car that's street legal. Not sure how much experience you have with 964rs/993rs/996rs/997rs? 997rs is definitely softer and a better road car. But IMO RS is supposed to be rough and very track focused. I still think 991RS is an amazing car. But not following the RS DNA and to close to gt3 instead of cup car.
I don't question that the RS models have become better road cars over time. In that respect, I agree with you that they've become "softer" although they were each still faster and more competent on track than their predecessors. OTOH, while the earlier RS models were more harsh than the current one they still were tolerable as road cars, unlike the ACR if the opinions in the vid are to be believed.

If Porsche builds a car that can be driven on the street, they will build it to perform reasonably well there, and not sell out completely to track use like Dodge did. This makes it difficult to compete on raw numbers alone. I don't think it's in their DNA to do otherwise, but maybe we'll have to agree to disagree about that.

Earlier, you wrote that Porsche used to be "cheap compared to the competition". Do you mean competition that was also designed for track and street use or pure race cars? I'm curious to know what competition you're referring to.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:48 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't question that the RS models have become better road cars over time. In that respect, I agree with you that they've become "softer" although they were each still faster and more competent on track than their predecessors. OTOH, while the earlier RS models were more harsh than the current one they still were tolerable as road cars, unlike the ACR if the opinions in the vid are to be believed. If Porsche builds a car that can be driven on the street, they will build it to perform reasonably well there, and not sell out completely to track use like Dodge did. This makes it difficult to compete on raw numbers alone. I don't think it's in their DNA to do otherwise, but maybe we'll have to agree to disagree about that. Earlier, you wrote that Porsche used to be "cheap compared to the competition". Do you mean competition that was also designed for track and street use or pure race cars? I'm curious to know what competition you're referring to.
I think we all have different tolerance for what's acceptable comfort on the road. And no right or wrong.

RS to me meant best track performance/dollar. They've always been great bang for buck as track cars. And very durable. IMO gt3 is a street car that you can take to the track. RS used to be a track car that you can drive to the track. Viper seems to fit that bill at the moment. No doubt that the 991rs and gt3 are great cars. Personally I just wish they stayed true to RS history. There is definitely enough room in the lineup for it.
RS makes absolutely no sense. That's what makes it great.
If I would go wheel to wheel racing I would buy a cup car. But there used to be 600 - 1000 crazy enough people that liked the most extreme Porsche road car out there. Now those people will buy a Viper.
Times change. But me being a hardcore Porsche fanatic since young age is not quite willing to accept it.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:48 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Like Mike in CA said, the ACR is a one-trick pony.

But that pony is like the American Pharoah of sports cars.

That said, I would only be interested in the ACR if I had an 8 car garage.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:53 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
like this guy

That's the one!
Old 01-08-2016, 01:03 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we all have different tolerance for what's acceptable comfort on the road. And no right or wrong.

RS to me meant best track performance/dollar. They've always been great bang for buck as track cars. And very durable. IMO gt3 is a street car that you can take to the track. RS used to be a track car that you can drive to the track. Viper seems to fit that bill at the moment. No doubt that the 991rs and gt3 are great cars. Personally I just wish they stayed true to RS history. There is definitely enough room in the lineup for it.
RS makes absolutely no sense. That's what makes it great.
If I would go wheel to wheel racing I would buy a cup car. But there used to be 600 - 1000 crazy enough people that liked the most extreme Porsche road car out there. Now those people will buy a Viper.
Times change. But me being a hardcore Porsche fanatic since young age is not quite willing to accept it.
I think that's a very good description of the ACR - a track car you can drive to the track, and run rings around everything in sight once you're there. That last bit brings to mind a potential limitation, one that probably applies to the 991RS as well: If you use the thing for DE days, is there a point at which you are so much faster than everything else out there, that driving in a big crowded field becomes and exercise in frustration? I'm sure there are tracks and driving organizations where the advanced group has a high % of ultra high end cars, but across much of the US it seems as though an ACR would be serious overkill, even in the advanced group.

BTW, I tried looking up the all-time PCA lap records for Laguna, and Randy's lap on one particular day in the ACR was faster than the all time record for a 996 or 997.1 GT3 Cup on full racing slicks, at least if I'm reading the classes correctly!

http://rennpoints.com/classrecords/?...***=&session=0
Old 01-08-2016, 03:40 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
I think that's a very good description of the ACR - a track car you can drive to the track, and run rings around everything in sight once you're there. That last bit brings to mind a potential limitation, one that probably applies to the 991RS as well: If you use the thing for DE days, is there a point at which you are so much faster than everything else out there, that driving in a big crowded field becomes and exercise in frustration? I'm sure there are tracks and driving organizations where the advanced group has a high % of ultra high end cars, but across much of the US it seems as though an ACR would be serious overkill, even in the advanced group. BTW, I tried looking up the all-time PCA lap records for Laguna, and Randy's lap on one particular day in the ACR was faster than the all time record for a 996 or 997.1 GT3 Cup on full racing slicks, at least if I'm reading the classes correctly! http://rennpoints.com/classrecords/?...***=&session=0

On all my track days it has been faster than even the Porsche race cars unless they were on Michelin slicks and less than 2500lbs. I've had the same 'problem' in the P1. I use the ACR as a training tool for my real race cars- i can go play with my friends because it is road legal. Open wheel cars are faster than anything but you can't really run them without a proper pit crew which is a hassle on a Wednesday in December/January on short notice.

it's undeniably faster per lap than any street car other than a P1/ 918 and there is immense challenge extracting lap times- no excuses possible because we all know what the car can do. If I take it to Laguna Seca it's to use as a measuring stick against the lap record- I'm a racer and want to get faster and can say "oh I'm x.x slower than Pobst and need to pick up time, get ballsier etc". It's a super challenge and costs the same as a 911c2s with options.

It's really fun to be in a car with that kind of limit/ceiling- eventually the front tires get roasted but that is the only downside of the car. It's not a car for someone who only has one car, but the Viper TA could do that just like a GT3. I like variety and in the super car world this is the ultimate bargain.

I wish kumho would do a C shaped sidewall like the Michelin instead of the trapezoid shape sidewall on the stock tire. It has no chance to last even at -3.0 to -3.3 camber because of the mid-corner speed and load.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I disagree,

Porsche RS DNA is track car that's street legal. Not sure how much experience you have with 964rs/993rs/996rs/997rs? 997rs is definitely softer and a better road car. But IMO RS is supposed to be rough and very track focused. I still think 991RS is an amazing car. But not following the RS DNA and to close to gt3 instead of cup car.
The others were not more track focused IMHO.
The 991RS is just better in all levels.

My 964 and 997's also felt comfortable street cars?!
In concept I agree, with price CL, PDK it's inching towards lambo's and Fiats and attracts those customers, only more track dependable.

The GT4 in concept is the new GT3..
Old 01-08-2016, 06:05 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default If you can, BUY ONE

I currently have no experience on the track with the Viper, but I have over 1000 street miles (as I obediently broke her in). Last week, I had a squatter holding traffic up in the LEFT LANE so I went for the pass.

The raw acceleration was dizzying. Having cars around me on the highway made it worse. Big jump from 475 hp, coming from the GT3 no matter how you slice it.

My personal metrics for cars is that it needs to be a PRODUCTION, factory street legal car. (Ironically, I don't street them as I drive a sedan or pickup truck every day, but I am a track junkie and those are my parameters).

As I get the Viper ready to track, I'm overloaded at options. Really. First, there's the obvious camber settings, then ride height, front brake cooling ducts to install, rear diffuser strakes to install, front splitter to install, bump and rebound on shocks to adjust, fender louvers to remove, front hood vents to remove… what am I forgetting?? ALL FROM THE FACTORY.

I think we can all admit, the reason why we're on here is because we're the apex of car enthusiasts. That's what GT3 owners are.

i LOVED the GT3. Irrespective of personal preference, for all the reasons why we love GT3's, if you can you should really consider getting one (ACR) before they're gone.

Last edited by est8esq; 01-08-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Streetking
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
On all my track days it has been faster than even the Porsche race cars unless they were on Michelin slicks and less than 2500lbs. I've had the same 'problem' in the P1. I use the ACR as a training tool for my real race cars- i can go play with my friends because it is road legal. Open wheel cars are faster than anything but you can't really run them without a proper pit crew which is a hassle on a Wednesday in December/January on short notice.

it's undeniably faster per lap than any street car other than a P1/ 918 and there is immense challenge extracting lap times- no excuses possible because we all know what the car can do. If I take it to Laguna Seca it's to use as a measuring stick against the lap record- I'm a racer and want to get faster and can say "oh I'm x.x slower than Pobst and need to pick up time, get ballsier etc". It's a super challenge and costs the same as a 911c2s with options.

It's really fun to be in a car with that kind of limit/ceiling- eventually the front tires get roasted but that is the only downside of the car. It's not a car for someone who only has one car, but the Viper TA could do that just like a GT3. I like variety and in the super car world this is the ultimate bargain.

I wish kumho would do a C shaped sidewall like the Michelin instead of the trapezoid shape sidewall on the stock tire. It has no chance to last even at -3.0 to -3.3 camber because of the mid-corner speed and load.
This^

I used to love Vipers. I remember seeing the first '96 blue/white stripe GTS at Pebble Beach in the summer of '95. I stopped and stared at that car for 1 hour. I came back home, called all the Dealers I knew to see if the were building the GTS and when I could get one. I ended up paying 10k over sticker and had the first GTS in Austin TX. I loved that car. Started modding it, ran Viper Days with it ect. It was raw, twitchy as hell, but I powered through that. I had several Vipers after that, drag raced them and road raced them. In late 2005 I ordered a 2006 Viper coupe and a new 2006 ZO6. I got the Viper first, drove it 300 miles and then received the ZO6. The Viper went up for sale the next day. I have never looked back, never wanted one until now. Some people say "it's not good on the street", well it's a tough pill to swallow when you wait for the "ultimate" street/ track toy as in a GT3 or GT3RS and then the Viper annihilates it on every track. Look, most of us on this part of the forum are track guys and we can talk about how the GT3/ RS are a better " all around car" but when we get our *** handed to us by any other car on the track, I for one, get butt hurt..
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2016, 10:06 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to point out the obvious here, neither of the American cars have a dual clutch transmission or rear wheel steering. I suspect 3 seconds would easily be 5 or 6 if they did (or if Porsche was a stick and had no rear wheel steering).

Z06 sounds so good though and its such a great track car/daily driver. Its also not even that low to the ground so you dont have a heart attack driving in manhattan.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Yup, has to hurt Porsche and its devotees for even the latest RS to get its clock cleaned by the ACR. But it is what it is, the numbers don't lie. Moreover, excellent drivers continue to praise how predictable and enjoyable the ACR is to drive on track, so the subjective part is there too.

The GT3 already covers the need for a car which is good on both track and road (but I'll still argue too capable for the road), so IMO the RS should have been taken in a more extreme direction like the ACR with a true track focus.

I have several Porsches, but the ACR has me drooling ...
Old 01-08-2016, 10:16 AM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
I want to point out the obvious here, neither of the American cars have a dual clutch transmission or rear wheel steering. I suspect 3 seconds would easily be 5 or 6 if they did (or if Porsche was a stick and had no rear wheel steering).

Z06 sounds so good though and its such a great track car/daily driver. Its also not even that low to the ground so you dont have a heart attack driving in manhattan.
Until it overheats

Quick Reply: MotorTrend: Viper ACR versus C7 Z06 versus RS