Old 03-23-2017, 11:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

This thread delivers!

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Pelo,

We recently finished building a new home that we designed ourselves. Like you, I wanted to be able to see the cars from inside. I ended up building a 4 car garage but my man cave effectively sits over the first 2 bays of the garage and looks down over the second 2 bays.

I can face one way in the man cave and watch hockey and car shows and look the other way and see my cars. The ceiling over the second 2 bays is around 24' high and the plan is to get 2 lifts to raise the fun cars so that they are almost as high as the man cave for better viewing and also to be able to get 6 cars inside. I also have lots of wall space for some cool garage art. Pics below - we're still "moving in" so please excuse the mess.
Brian you should have a mural on the garage wall so when you look out your man cave window you get that view of the cars and mural. What a great way to incorporate living space and garage together.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:25 PM
pelo911
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pelo,

We recently finished building a new home that we designed ourselves. Like you, I wanted to be able to see the cars from inside. I ended up building a 4 car garage but my man cave effectively sits over the first 2 bays of the garage and looks down over the second 2 bays.

I can face one way in the man cave and watch hockey and car shows and look the other way and see my cars. The ceiling over the second 2 bays is around 24' high and the plan is to get 2 lifts to raise the fun cars so that they are almost as high as the man cave for better viewing and also to be able to get 6 cars inside. I also have lots of wall space for some cool garage art. Pics below - we're still "moving in" so please excuse the mess.
what a nice man cave !!!
you should put there small Magico speakers and enjoy some music
(or just listen to the V10 engine , even better music)

Carrera GT , number 1 in my list of dream cars
i drove it maybe 10 minutes more then 10 years ago
nothing is better then this car
keep it forever
this car can park in the center of the living room
piece of art !
Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 165 Posts

Pelo,

Now that's a great idea. We're likely somewhat close together. I'm at *** and Royal. I wanted to build this time but with land value going up so much in north Dallas we just decided to buy and build later in life. At least i got a 3 car garage with room to expand.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:23 PM
PeteAZ
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts

Just moved to a spot where I can build my dream garage. My architect and I came up with this, but we are still tweaking. Main house has a large 3 car that could accommodate at least 1 4-post, but I wanted a space to hang out and wrench. There will be an in-ground flush mounted scissor lift (Bendpak SP7X) underneath the Mezz level for wheels off work that will be accessible through the side door. The main area is designed for 2 Bendpak 4-posts. Front door is 18x10 and the clear height is plenty to stack 2 of pretty much anything. Upstairs will have 3/4 bath and wet bar/small kitchen along with seating, games, TV, etc. Would love input/ideas from others who have been through this before!
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
_silver911 (11-14-2022)
Old 03-24-2017, 02:15 PM
MatthiasAK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteAZ
Just moved to a spot where I can build my dream garage. My architect and I came up with this, but we are still tweaking. Main house has a large 3 car that could accommodate at least 1 4-post, but I wanted a space to hang out and wrench. There will be an in-ground flush mounted scissor lift (Bendpak SP7X) underneath the Mezz level for wheels off work that will be accessible through the side door. The main area is designed for 2 Bendpak 4-posts. Front door is 18x10 and the clear height is plenty to stack 2 of pretty much anything. Upstairs will have 3/4 bath and wet bar/small kitchen along with seating, games, TV, etc. Would love input/ideas from others who have been through this before!
Looks amazing, Pete. Can't wait to see this project evolve.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:41 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Brian....
What are you hiding under the cardboard?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:37 PM
MatthiasAK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pelo,

hockey, my favorite p cars, and a gorgeous garage (with touches I plan to eventually use in mine). I think we'd get along just fine
Old 03-25-2017, 11:42 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
This thread delivers!

Brian you should have a mural on the garage wall so when you look out your man cave window you get that view of the cars and mural. What a great way to incorporate living space and garage together.
Marine Blue,

Thanks for the compliments. We're very pleased with how this part of the house turned out.

I have lots of ideas for that wall space but I haven't thought of a mural - great idea! The lift I'm going to get is extra tall so the sightline between the man cave/car/mural might be just right.

Originally Posted by pelo911
what a nice man cave !!!
you should put there small Magico speakers and enjoy some music
(or just listen to the V10 engine , even better music)

Carrera GT , number 1 in my list of dream cars
i drove it maybe 10 minutes more then 10 years ago
nothing is better then this car
keep it forever
this car can park in the center of the living room
piece of art !
Thanks Pelo! Couldn't park the cgt in the living room but figure this is the next best option! If you decide to follow this sort of a plan in your build, I'd be happy to share some tips/ideas from my experience.

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
Now that's a great idea. We're likely somewhat close together. I'm at *** and Royal. I wanted to build this time but with land value going up so much in north Dallas we just decided to buy and build later in life. At least i got a 3 car garage with room to expand.
Thanks! I couldn't find a man cave/garage like this for sale so building was the only way we were going to get exactly what we were looking for.

Originally Posted by otisdog
Hey, Brian....
What are you hiding under the cardboard?
Haha! Nothing. Just brown paper covering the windows. We haven't gotten around to proper (according to my wife) window treatments yet.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:48 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MatthiasAK
hockey, my favorite p cars, and a gorgeous garage (with touches I plan to eventually use in mine). I think we'd get along just fine
Agreed! Look at what's on tv! GO STARS!
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PeteAZ
Cool plans! You probably already know this but I'd suggest a high lift garage door for the 2 bay so that the door tracks follow the slanted roofline so that the garage door doesn't block the view of the cars from the mezz.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:15 PM
jareda80
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My garage project is just getting underway, along with an attached house. I would love to go detached but virtually impossible in the area I'm building. It's not huge but the storage area will allow me to install a wall of Baldhead cabinets with another sink at the end to keep the clutter out of the main garage areas. I will have my motorcycle lift at the end of the third car with a four post behind that for car storage and working on my 4Runner I've built for overlanding.

Framing is in process and the project should be complete by September. First installs will be Race Deck and a four post lift. My fiancé works for Race Deck here in Salt Lake if anyone is looking for flooring.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Randy K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian:

Nice build on the garage/mancave .... are we going to see the CGT in Eureka Springs this year?

Regards,

Randy
Old 03-25-2017, 02:03 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jareda80, wow what a spectacular view you'll have. Congrats on your house/garage.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:17 PM
jareda80
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
jareda80, wow what a spectacular view you'll have. Congrats on your house/garage.
Thanks! It's taken 2 years of planning and approvals to get to this point but there is an end in sight. This view won me over when I first looked at the lot. We are only minutes from the city but it feels very secluded.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:28 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Reply: picture of your garage