Observations: my RS vs. my GT3 vs. my AMG GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:07 PM
onelio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Observations: my RS vs. my GT3 vs. my AMG GTS

I am enjoying the RS very much.
Very engaging car. Needs to be driven hard.
As reported elsewhere definitely no stronger/faster than the GT3 - in fact according to the on-board accelerometer, it may be just a tad less accelerative. I do not notice any real increase in torque at mid-range.
Definitely more planted than the GT3. Really hunkered down.
So, while “objectively” it is not much different for street use, it “feels” more engaging, racier, louder, more connected. Once you hit 7000 rpm the engine note is absolutely crazy. (I have had a head cold in the last week, and the sound at high rpm is painful to my ears, (in a good way), especially if the window is partly open. Like reported by another, I had to wear ear plugs). My theory is that the air intake from the rear fenders is the source of difference in sound and feel – it is a straight shot from there, to the intake valves on the engine.
Much to my surprise, I actually like it better than the base car on the street. (I had been concerned that it would be too competent and therefore boring just tooling around, if you did not have room to really open it up).
Would like to see meaningfully lower gear ratios in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, so you can get decent mid-range acceleration, without driving the daylights out of the car, and risking your license each time because you have to be really moving to get it “on boil”. (When you do have room, and are confident there are no cops around, it can be a lot of fun).
I have not yet had it at the track, but have no doubt it will be phenomenal there.

In summary, a race car you can drive on the street.

Now for my AMG.
Very different car – equally engaging on the street. ( I would call it a tie for street use fun. At the track while the AMG is quite good, I expect that the RS is miles more “connected”.)
The AMG sounds great – big old American muscle car sound. Tons of torque everywhere. Feels much stronger than 500hp. Faster than the RS in a straight line.
Much more “special” interior, and unique exterior – more differentiated than the RS (which after all looks like every other 911 but with a big wing).
Biggest negative with the AMG is that the steering feels disconnected from the chassis. (Works fine, but is simply not confidence inspiring – I have had it back twice figuring that something was wrong with it).

In summary, a muscle car that you can take to the track.
Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2015, 11:23 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Lucky you to have both.
I am mildly surprised the RS doesn't offer more acceleration than the GT3, which makes me happy with mine.
I drove a E63 AMG S wagon earlier this week. It had a similar sound to your AMG GTS with the torque of a locomotive. If I didn't need to tow, I'd consider buying the wagon!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:40 PM
Brindle101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onelio
I am enjoying the RS very much.
Very engaging car. Needs to be driven hard.
As reported elsewhere definitely no stronger/faster than the GT3 - in fact according to the on-board accelerometer, it may be just a tad less accelerative. I do not notice any real increase in torque at mid-range.
Definitely more planted than the GT3. Really hunkered down.
So, while “objectively” it is not much different for street use, it “feels” more engaging, racier, louder, more connected. Once you hit 7000 rpm the engine note is absolutely crazy. (I have had a head cold in the last week, and the sound at high rpm is painful to my ears, (in a good way), especially if the window is partly open. Like reported by another, I had to wear ear plugs). My theory is that the air intake from the rear fenders is the source of difference in sound and feel – it is a straight shot from there, to the intake valves on the engine.
Much to my surprise, I actually like it better than the base car on the street. (I had been concerned that it would be too competent and therefore boring just tooling around, if you did not have room to really open it up).
Would like to see meaningfully lower gear ratios in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, so you can get decent mid-range acceleration, without driving the daylights out of the car, and risking your license each time because you have to be really moving to get it “on boil”. (When you do have room, and are confident there are no cops around, it can be a lot of fun).
I have not yet had it at the track, but have no doubt it will be phenomenal there.

In summary, a race car you can drive on the street.

Now for my AMG.
Very different car – equally engaging on the street. ( I would call it a tie for street use fun. At the track while the AMG is quite good, I expect that the RS is miles more “connected”.)
The AMG sounds great – big old American muscle car sound. Tons of torque everywhere. Feels much stronger than 500hp. Faster than the RS in a straight line.
Much more “special” interior, and unique exterior – more differentiated than the RS (which after all looks like every other 911 but with a big wing).
Biggest negative with the AMG is that the steering feels disconnected from the chassis. (Works fine, but is simply not confidence inspiring – I have had it back twice figuring that something was wrong with it).

In summary, a muscle car that you can take to the track.
Nice, i love my GT3, but also have an AMG GTS on order. I want an RS, but just today turned down a deal on an RS that effectively had me paying a $90,000 premium for the car. I just dont think it is worth the extra MSRP plus $90k premium over my GT3, i know others will gladly pay the extra $$.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:45 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

wow.
shocking review (to me). an AMG that is as thrilling (or more) and as fast (or more) than the $200k+ limited production RS? That is normally compared to 650S, 458, etc.
that is HUGE praise.
having owned AMG/black series, they are so much fun, muscle car, a hoot on the street, but would never have put in the RS category
sounds like I need to test drive one.
thanks for review!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:04 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

This is the owner review I have been waiting for, thanks!
Porsche has chosen to turn it's GT models into over subscribed financial instruments, but AMG will gladly take anyone's money.
The AMG is even tunable, see Weistec's site.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:58 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice Review and generally in line with my own observations owning a GT3, GT3RS, and AMG E63S. Having driven both the AMG GTS and E63S during a recent AMG trackday at COTA, neither comes close to the feeling of engagement and precise control as either the GT3 or RS or even my Panamera S. Personally, I found the GTS to be a very pleasant GT car, but still a hammer to Porsche's Scalpel. On the track, I found the E63S easier to nail apexes accurately and with FAR more available Torque from its 5.5 L Engine vs the 4.0 on the GTS. (MT dynoed the output as far closer to 700 HP than the 577 Advertised, which I also believe) Unfortunately all larger displacement Engines are being phased out by all the manufacturers and will soon be as unavailable as normally aspirated engines.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:10 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
wow.
shocking review (to me).
To me, as well. Trying to balance this review with others.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Nice Review and generally in line with my own observations owning a GT3, GT3RS, and AMG E63S. Having driven both the AMG GTS and E63S during a recent AMG trackday at COTA, neither comes close to the feeling of engagement and precise control as either the GT3 or RS or even my Panamera S. Personally, I found the GTS to be a very pleasant GT car, but still a hammer to Porsche's Scalpel. On the track, I found the E63S easier to nail apexes accurately and with FAR more available Torque from its 5.5 L Engine vs the 4.0 on the GTS. (MT dynoed the output as far closer to 700 HP than the 577 Advertised, which I also believe) Unfortunately all larger displacement Engines are being phased out by all the manufacturers and will soon be as unavailable as normally aspirated engines.
Lane has your RS arrived yet? Would love to hear your views on and off track when you have seat time....:-)
Old 10-17-2015, 07:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 779 Posts

Because AMG makes great sounds at any speed. RS under 4K RPM is quiet and civilized.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:50 AM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review
I have not seen a car that i could consider in the future replacing my beloved GT3/ having it next to the 3 , except for the GTS ! i saw it a couple of days ago and was wowed by its interior and looks , besides of course the reviews everywhere and the last one which MOTORTREND car of the year ..
Having said that the 3 is for keeps at the moment till i decide to go for another car which definitely will be the GTS
Old 10-18-2015, 02:27 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Lane has your RS arrived yet? Would love to hear your views on and off track when you have seat time....:-)
Yes, Macca. '16 RS Mistress arrived. She is now strutting her stuff trying to embarrass '14 GT3 Wifey parked next to her. Despite her dazzling beauty, she's not succeeding. Mistresses can be wildly entertaining and excel in certain tasks, but Wifey does everything OK and includes cleaning and cooking in her repertoire. Great pleasure having both around. PM sent.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:08 PM
TheDapperDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 39 Posts

both are beautiful
enjoy
Old 10-22-2015, 11:55 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your observations... been hearing a lot of good things about the AMG. R. Pobst did a nice video on it. Gonna have to give it a try.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:25 AM
RDH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my spec'd GTS coming in any day now...cant wait...

Quick Reply: Observations: my RS vs. my GT3 vs. my AMG GTS