Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have TPD and Aerovault.
I'd also recommend jimglo.
Search for posts on jimglo or by savyboy and his BAC Mono ...
If you have the budget and patience to wait for a custom built trailer, both Aerovault and Jimglo are great, but jimglo trailers are the luxury convenience solution.
Still, nothing beats a fully decked out TPD with air-conditioning. When I tracked frequently (weekly...) it was a great luxury to know everything was in there and all I had to do was hitch up, fuel up, get tirerack to send some hoosiers, and go.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:45 PM
StreetCup
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your tow vehicle for these trailers (i.e. TPD, Jimglo and Aerovault)? Are you using a SUV?
Old 07-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used an BMW x3 and a Jeep Grand Cheorkee
Old 07-06-2015, 02:47 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A bit late to the discussion but to add another data point. I tow a 20ft enclosed Featherlite with my Cayenne diesel. I've towed it all over CA and NV without any issues. Since it has the v-nose, I get about 5ft of extra upfront trailer space. Tip to tail it's about 27ft. I looked at a 24ft Featerlite but felt it was too long for the CD to safely tow fully loaded - the 20ft is about all I'd want to do with a Cayenne (anything else, I'd go to a larger tow vehicle). My load ranges from 7000 lbs fully loaded with 3 tire sets, all the tools and gear to 6000 lbs for gear, smaller tool set, one tire set. Featherlite makes an excellent product, a bit pricey, but the new never adjust electric brakes are worth every extra dollar IMO.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetCup
What is your tow vehicle for these trailers (i.e. TPD, Jimglo and Aerovault)? Are you using a SUV?
You can tow a Jimglo or Aerovault with anything bigger than a Prius. I've towed usually with a GL350 (diesel) or GL550 (gas) and it's easy to trot along at 75-80.

I tow the TPD with a diesel Excursion, usually below 10Klb with car/spares/tools so you could tow the TPD (it's a 24' triple with HVAC, compressed air, tools, sometimes a scissor hoist, two sets of spare wheels, tires, etc.) with a recent model half ton (F150, etc.) but it's better suited a 3/4 (F250, etc.) you won't need to go to a 1-ton truck (duallie, F350 etc.) unless you want a much larger rig.

From the glowing (sorry) reports of trailering with jimglo, if you can stand the wait to order one, that's the top shelf product on the market for now. You can get all the cool stuff or keep it bare bones. I'd put Aerovault up there next to jimglo for convenience, but some say build quality isn't as good, and it's more compromised towards the low profile aerodynamics (no side door is a real hassle) but it's very easy to load and a great extra garage. Then you have all the others (featherlite, etc.)
Old 07-06-2015, 08:56 PM
StreetCup
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Carerra GT. I have a RR Supercharged that I want to use as my tow vehicle. I would like to tow a 24 foot enclosed but am concerned about the strength of the chassis. I had a bad experience with F250 and a 24 foot Pace years ago (jacknifed on a freeway!) and am not keen for a repeat! I will need to check out Jimglo but to be honest, I never heard about that brand!! Cost should not be a factor if we are already playing with a RS!!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Alot of good info here for those that use trailers. Its good to know there are trailers that a simple SUV can pull. I have narrowed down my choices to trailex or jimglo. Prices are almost similar. I guess this is the next step really to be able to use our toys when needed.

I really bought my GT3 as dedicated track car. Without it(trailer), it would not happen.

Quick Reply: Car Trailers for GT3