Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 05:31 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

Any issues with Safelite windshield replacement for our cars?

Do they go by the Vin to properly spec the correct windshield and sensors?

Do they use OEM glass?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2015, 05:56 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Curious about this too, my windshield is starting to look pretty chippy after 9k miles
Old 07-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I had a local installer do mine. He used to work for the dealership. Never had significant issues with Safelite before. It is fairly complicated - the rear view mirror housing has several parts and a bunch of electronic stuff, plus there are several wires at each side of the windshield. Best to have someone familiar with the car.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:29 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
Any issues with Safelite windshield replacement for our cars?

Do they go by the Vin to properly spec the correct windshield and sensors?

Do they use OEM glass?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
I had the windshield in my 997 GTS replaced by Giant Glass in Massachusetts last week. Giant Glass is owned by Safelite.

Yes, they can and do use the VIN number to confirm the correct windshield. And yes, they use OEM glass.

Everything seems fine with my new windshield so far.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:27 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Safelite tried to install non-Porsche windshield on my 997. When they arrived and I inspected the windshield they were about to install, I insisted that they not use it. Even the installer pointed out the quality issues with their "oem" product.

They Safelite installer did a great job putting in a Porsche supplied windshield that was ordered through my local dealer.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:02 AM
rollsroy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Safelite tried to install non-Porsche windshield on my 997. When they arrived and I inspected the windshield they were about to install, I insisted that they not use it. Even the installer pointed out the quality issues with their "oem" product.

They Safelite installer did a great job putting in a Porsche supplied windshield that was ordered through my local dealer.
How much is an OEM windshield?
Old 07-02-2015, 08:23 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by rollsroy
Not sure. Was covered under comprehensive.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rollsroy
Dealer told me to figure $1,000. Mine was peppered on the Smokies run so I need to replace soon, How much is OEM thru Safelite? I imagine the dealer calls them in anyway, right?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:53 AM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
Dealer told me to figure $1,000. Mine was peppered on the Smokies run so I need to replace soon, How much is OEM thru Safelite? I imagine the dealer calls them in anyway, right?
I called in thru State Farm and insisted on having my dealer (South Shore Porsche) do the work. They put me on hold, called up the dealer, got back on the line and said it was approved, then transferred me to Active Auto Glass in East Meadow (Long Island, NY). I was a bit confused, but later learned (from Active Auto) that they do all the glass work for the dealer.

They ordered the windshield through South Shore Porsche - said it was about $800 or $850 cost for OEM windshield (VIN# specific order). The shop is small, and the owner did this himself. One man job - I saw him do the whole thing and had no issues since then - no wind noise or water leaks. While I would have preferred giving my dealer the business (especially since it wasn't my money), this was State Farm's way of cutting out the middle man

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement