Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by driftshot
Thanks for such an informative post Eduardo.

A Signal Green showed up at McKenna on AutoTrader a few days ago and I'm proud to say I bought it!

This is 9249 that was originally for sale in Rancho Mirage. I will be the 2nd owner.
Congratulations. The original owner is a member (MSmatt) of Rennlist & posted in
this forum when he got the car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...y-gt3s-41.html

Originally Posted by disden
Hey, that's my old car! I traded it in last year when my RS arrived.
Oddly its for sale for less then what I got for trade in! Whoever bought it never drove it, because
the miles are about the same a year later. Its a fantastic car, CPO'd too, I was 2nd owner and
wouldn't buy it without CPO. Sadly my work life was awful and I couldn't drive it. I miss that car,
its awesome!
That was the 'Arena' gt3 originally sold by Sewickley in Pennsylvania.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...y-gt3s-62.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Old 12-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
Arena Red?

Price seems decent for a PTS GT3. $139,900 with only 3573 miles.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=182554274

Followed the link and it seems the price is $132998 today! Quite a deal on a 2015 with such low mileage and such an unusual color, especially with the 10-year 120K mile engine warranty.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:48 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
Followed the link and it seems the price is $132998 today! Quite a deal on a 2015 with such low mileage and such an unusual color, especially with the 10-year 120K mile engine warranty.

To me it looks like a screaming deal for a beautiful car. It's a $154k MSRP. What am I missing (besides the 4-way seats and no LWBS)? Car was built May 2015. Were there any issues specific to that era?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
To me it looks like a screaming deal for a beautiful car. It's a $154k MSRP. What am I missing (besides the 4-way seats and no LWBS)? Car was built May 2015. Were there any issues specific to that era?
I was the previous owner of that car. I traded it in a year ago when my RS finally arrived. It has about the same miles as when I traded it in to the Porsche dealer, who then supposedly sold it to a collector type. That appears to be case as miles are about the same as trade in a year ago. Its a killer car, looks fantastic and was in pristine shape with clear bra and CPO already done when I traded it in. If I wouldn't have just picked up a new GT3.2 manual, I would have bought it back - assuming there is no story that has occurred in the last year. Its really a beautiful car.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:18 PM
splizaat
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

THANK YOU For your knowledge and heavy digging Eduardo!
https://livermore.porschedealer.com/...+Green+1803481

Signal Green GT3 Car #9248 (https://rennlist.com/forums/vindecod...AC2A90FS189248) has popped up for sale at Livermore Porsche asking $146,000. When I saw the low 2975 miles, and the price I thought I absolutely had to jump on it...but first, some research. I was paired with AJ Alkechtban, the internet Sales Person at Livermore and started with some simple questions "Does the car have paint protection film" and "has it ever been tracked"? AJ was helpful and quick to respond, letting me know that the entire car was wrapped in Xpel Ultimate Paint Protection film by the owner, and "never tracked." He said their customer had bought it from them and had them wrap the car and that he was getting rid of this one to make room for his new GT2 RS coming in. That was pretty much all I needed to know to start negotiating. AJ sent me some more photos of the car via text message, we agreed at a price of $139k and I began sorting the best way to fund the car from Oregon.

The more I poked around, the more things seemed off:
1. The Carfax shows no registered owners even though he told me one owner
2. I notice it shows tires replaced at around 1500 miles
3. Up until now, I knew about the 30 PTS GT3s, but not this one VIN in particular. I was able to talk to Eduardo (thank you for your time!) where I simply wanted to know if he knew anything about PTS car #9248. He did - and up to this point, I had only read the first couple pages of this thread, but not all.

Eduardo informs me that this car was a dedicated PCNA track and demo car that travelled to events for the first 1500 miles or so and was used for track demo days. He didn't sound real excited about this one in particular. We have an excellent and informative phone call, and with this new knowledge, I ping AJ again via text.

I asked AJ how many owners and point out that CarFax shows none - and he responds with "1 Owner Vehicle" and then the story became that it was a PCNA Showcar that travelled and won some awards. Then I ask, again, "Never been on the track? ever?" followed by "Your original email said never tracked, just making sure" to which he responds again with "never.”

He also tells me that he is unable to provide me an Overrev report because the service department is a different entity and they charge for the report, but the service manager says that because it's a PDK it can't be over revved anyways because it has a limiter.

Draw whatever conclusions you want to from this about Livermore Porsche, but I have passed on the car. I'm not convinced they don't know the history of the car...my gut feeling tells me that an unsuspecting buyer not knowing the history will likely never find out and be happy to pay $140k for it because they'll never be told the real story. I'm sure it's a great car in excellent cosmetic condition, and someone else will love it - I just hope they know the real story first. THANK YOU TO RENNLIST for your endless amounts of information again. I appreciate all of you... You know what they say...if it seems too good to be true…

Last edited by splizaat; 05-07-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:41 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

I’m not sure why people are so terrified of GT cars that have track miles on them. At Smokies recently we were given a great lecture from Porsche. Explained that historically cars that are well driven have less problems then cars that sit in the garage. So, if this car is CPOd and was likely well maintained while in a Porsche’s hands., I truly wouldn’t be that concerned. Now if it’s been damaged in accident then it’s a different story entirely. Most cars that are tracked are much better maintained then garage queens simply for safety reasons. The warranty will cover any issues. Good luck! Perhaps a bargaining chip for lower price!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:45 PM
splizaat
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No proper break-in, not willing to provide a DME overrev report (wonder what it looks like?) and it's not CPO'd.

It's not that it's been on the track that bothers me. It's that it's been on the track for the from zero to 1500 miles and driven real hard by a professional driver. And to top it off, when I asked about being on the track the response was "never" from the same dealer that bought it via auction directly from PCNA. There's a difference between being on the track for an occasional track day, and having 1/2 of its miles at redline on a brand new motor.

Someone will end up with a great car here, hopefully they find out the history BEFORE they buy is all I'm saying.

Last edited by splizaat; 05-07-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:33 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by splizaat
No proper break-in, not willing to provide a DME overrev report (wonder what it looks like?) and it's not CPO'd.

It's not that it's been on the track that bothers me. It's that it's been on the track for the from zero to 1500 miles and driven real hard by a professional driver. And to top it off, when I asked about being on the track the response was "never" from the same dealer that bought it via auction directly from PCNA. There's a difference between being on the track for an occasional track day, and having 1/2 of its miles at redline on a brand new motor.

Someone will end up with a great car here, hopefully they find out the history BEFORE they buy is all I'm saying.
Exactly. And it's also the fact that if it's been tracked there should be a proportional price adjustment or negotiation baked in.. the dealer knows, he's playing dumb. The car being tracked during first 1500 Miles would be a deal-killer for me too. Good sleuthing and great choice to abstain.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Tracking a car from new isn't that big a problem IF the car was properly warmed up to temperature first.

Porsche's driving schools uses brand new cars fresh off the factory floor, and those cars don't have problems. And those cars have a hard life too, with students banging it off limiters endlessly.

An engine will have problems down the road even if it has 'break in miles' if the car is not driven properly, like waiting for fluids to get up to operating temperature before going up high in the rpm range.

Revving a cold engine is the biggest killer.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:47 PM
driftshot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just popping in to let the Signal Green enthusiasts know that I have one for sale in the classifieds section.

Love the car but other priorities have come up for right now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...nal-green.html

Old 06-02-2018, 06:24 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Stunning Signal^
Old 01-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

What a great thread
Thanks for posting

Originally Posted by splizaat
THANK YOU For your knowledge and heavy digging Eduardo!
https://livermore.porschedealer.com/...+Green+1803481

Signal Green GT3 Car #9248 (https://rennlist.com/forums/vindecod...AC2A90FS189248) has popped up for sale at Livermore Porsche asking $146,000. When I saw the low 2975 miles, and the price I thought I absolutely had to jump on it...but first, some research. I was paired with AJ Alkechtban, the internet Sales Person at Livermore and started with some simple questions "Does the car have paint protection film" and "has it ever been tracked"? AJ was helpful and quick to respond, letting me know that the entire car was wrapped in Xpel Ultimate Paint Protection film by the owner, and "never tracked." He said their customer had bought it from them and had them wrap the car and that he was getting rid of this one to make room for his new GT2 RS coming in. That was pretty much all I needed to know to start negotiating. AJ sent me some more photos of the car via text message, we agreed at a price of $139k and I began sorting the best way to fund the car from Oregon.

The more I poked around, the more things seemed off:
1. The Carfax shows no registered owners even though he told me one owner
2. I notice it shows tires replaced at around 1500 miles
3. Up until now, I knew about the 30 PTS GT3s, but not this one VIN in particular. I was able to talk to Eduardo (thank you for your time!) where I simply wanted to know if he knew anything about PTS car #9248. He did - and up to this point, I had only read the first couple pages of this thread, but not all.

Eduardo informs me that this car was a dedicated PCNA track and demo car that travelled to events for the first 1500 miles or so and was used for track demo days. He didn't sound real excited about this one in particular. We have an excellent and informative phone call, and with this new knowledge, I ping AJ again via text.

I asked AJ how many owners and point out that CarFax shows none - and he responds with "1 Owner Vehicle" and then the story became that it was a PCNA Showcar that travelled and won some awards. Then I ask, again, "Never been on the track? ever?" followed by "Your original email said never tracked, just making sure" to which he responds again with "never.”

He also tells me that he is unable to provide me an Overrev report because the service department is a different entity and they charge for the report, but the service manager says that because it's a PDK it can't be over revved anyways because it has a limiter.

Draw whatever conclusions you want to from this about Livermore Porsche, but I have passed on the car. I'm not convinced they don't know the history of the car...my gut feeling tells me that an unsuspecting buyer not knowing the history will likely never find out and be happy to pay $140k for it because they'll never be told the real story. I'm sure it's a great car in excellent cosmetic condition, and someone else will love it - I just hope they know the real story first. THANK YOU TO RENNLIST for your endless amounts of information again. I appreciate all of you... You know what they say...if it seems too good to be true…
Originally Posted by driftshot
Just popping in to let the Signal Green enthusiasts know that I have one for sale in the classifieds section.
Love the car but other priorities have come up for right now.
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...nal-green.html
Old 01-22-2019, 11:27 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
What a great thread
Thanks for posting
Speaking of PPF, I noticed that Porsche is now offering PPF from the factory (front wrap) for ~$2,800, which is competitive. No more waiting after the car arrives at the dealership.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Splendid!

Quick Reply: The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!