Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:52 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Saw this posted in the main forum, looks like an Arena Red is available in PA:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121743211816?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true
Old 09-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, Signes.

For our records on this thread:

This might possibly be the PTS 'Arena Red Metallic' gt3 allocated to Sewickley Porsche, although P of Conshohoken also got one in PA.
If anyone can confirm what dealer it originated from, it will be truly appreciated.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 09-02-2015, 02:09 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

"Car is priced to sell so don't ask me any questions. If you want it then bid. If not, move on. I could care less."

Now that is a seller with real business savvy!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:24 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Thanks for the heads up, Signes.

This might possibly be the PTS 'Arena Red Metallic' gt3 allocated to Sewickley Porsche, although P of Conshohoken also got one in PA.
If anyone can confirm what dealer it originated from, it will be truly appreciated.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Eduardo:

the plate frame in the pictures says Sewickley, so looks like it was their allocation that is for sale.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by signes
Eduardo:

the plate frame in the pictures says Sewickley, so looks like it was their allocation that is for sale.
Yes...and it's also barely visible (on the shaded part) at lower right side of the Monroney. Thanks.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2015, 12:13 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default More on the ARM at eBay auction...

A repost from another thread that might be of interest to those following this topic:

Originally Posted by Flowmacks
Anyone know this car?
Up on eBay - no reserve. Good options, PTS... Haven't seen it around here.

Porsche 911 GT3 Coupe 2 Door | eBay

It's the 'Arena Red Metallic' gt3 that was allocated to Sewickley Porsche by PCNA.
Here is the latest post on that thread about this car:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...y-gt3s-62.html

I talked to the sales manager at Sewickley when we identified that one of the
'Arena Red' gt3s was coming to them. He told me that it was being sold to a
local customer (assume is our seller). That was posted on post # 168 back on
3/27/2015:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post12157280

We have been busy here at this Rennlist forum since March trying to identify &
locate each one of these 30 PTS late allocation MY2015 gt3s! I suggest it might
be helpful for you read the entire thread to get a better understanding of this
run of PTS gt3s, why many readers of Rennlist ended up buying one and others
went in a different direction!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...grey-gt3s.html

Good luck with your negotiations if you decide to pursue it.

Originally Posted by Flowmacks
I'm trying not to **** him off man. He may not take my money.

Seriously though. Should I buy this thing? I've had zero point zero luck on an allocation for like a year now.

Sticker was $154K.

Half of me just want to do it just to meet this guy and find out when he was thrown off Rennlist.

The Monroney includes destination & gas guzzler. So true 'sticker' is
actually $155,025.

The eBay seller claims he has $169K invested in this gt3. So let's do the math.
I think the gt3 was sold to him at Sewickley at MSRP. I don't think he paid a
markup or premium over sticker. some markup from that. Some the difference
between the $155,025 sticker and his $169,000 invested figure is sales tax &
registration (that should be easy to compute). The balance, if any, is whatever
else he added to the vehicle (e.g. clear bra, if it has one) after the purchase.
But since you can't ask questions...we will just have to make educated guesses.

Originally Posted by signes
One of the 10 Arena Red "special edition" cars.

Charming wording in his listing...

Not really a 'special edition' since, like also the term 'Limited Edition', that has a
particular meaning in the automotive industry. And these 30 PTS gt3s don't fit
that 'billing'. We have been told that these PTS gt3s were more like 'bonus cars'
which were assigned to a few PCNA dealers as some sort of a reward. But I am
still trying to find out, as Paul Harvey used to said, the rest of the (real) story!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Originally Posted by Paul Blake
well, he found the market value - MSRP.

I don't think that is what anyone should take away from this auction.
The market value of on those PTS gt3s, even the least sought-after
color which was 'Arena Red Metallic', is today higher than their MSRP.
But you need a seller than understands the selling game & knows how
to play it.

"Car is priced to sell so don't ask me any questions. If you want
it then bid. If not, move on. I could care less."

This Pennsylvania seller is clearly an arrogant individual that doesn't
understand sales or marketing. In addition, doesn't know very well
what he has in his hands to sell. Contrast this to Ivon's results just
a few weeks ago. And that was not the best example of marketing
one of these PTS cars either...but it's much better than 'I could care
less'!

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...allic-gt3.html

The results of the PA auction reflect the eBay's public reaction to
the seller's haughty selling notes and intolerant mood. The market
spoke alright...and said 'you don't care about us and we don't
care about you or your stupid car. You move on!
'. That is the lesson
here. And its aimed at hitting back at the seller for his demonstrable
arrogance!

Frankly, the seller doesn't know how to market a very desirable car.
Even supermodels, gifted like any gt3 with 'natural' talents & beauty,
need to put on lipstick and rouge when they are at their 'jobs'. In
the same manner, you need to explain to the market what you have,
why it's so special, and create sizzle in the steak you are trying to sell.
And, above all else, show a genuine interest for answering all questions
a potential buyer may have for your 'product'. This seller broke every
rule of successful marketing & sales. And, in this light, the results are
not surprising. But don't confuse it, or interpret it, as an auction that
sets the market value for any of these late '15 allocation PTS gt3s.
Because you would be wrong about that.

My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Seller's Notes:

"2015 Porsche GT3 with 753 miles, excellent condition,
no accidents or paintwork, Ext Paint to Sample Metallic,
Int-Black/Alcantara Guards Red Stitching, Ext range
fuel tank, Front seats heated, Sound Pkg Plus,
Front axle lift, LED headlights w/Dynamic Light System,
Light Design Pkg, Sport Chron with Track APP, Leather
int with red stitching, Floor mats, Auto dimming mirros
with rain sensor, Clear bra on entire front end and mirrors
($1,700 dollar option) Car is immaculate, no problems.
I just got my 2016 GT3 RS so I don't need this car anymore.
I have $169,000 in to this car. Anyone that wants to send
a check for $169k I will end the auction early. Otherwise
it will run till sold with no reserve. Car is priced to sell so
don't ask me any questions. If you want it then bid. If
not, move on. I could care less.
"

Last edited by Z356; 09-04-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Correct Spelling Error
Old 09-06-2015, 10:04 PM
farfromcommonGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

That is a teaser of my Fashion Grey GT3. I was fortunate enough to take delivery last Wednesday of the last PTS bonus car from Stevens Creek and have a bit more into the story behind how they got there's as well as he allocations themselves!

But that's for another time. In the interim I am addressing some short comings on the spec ( adding PCCB, clear taillight sand reflectors, and finally adding LWBs to replace the 4 Ways..)

I have some other unique touches being applied, and hopefully the car will be done by next weekend so I can share it with you all!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:06 PM
farfromcommonGT3
Rennlist Member

Default The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

Excuse me, the noob. Pictures attached. Enjoy!
Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by farfromcommonGT3
That is a teaser of my Fashion Grey GT3. I was fortunate enough to take delivery last Wednesday of the last PTS bonus car from Stevens Creek and have a bit more into the story behind how they got there's as well as he allocations themselves!
Congratulations 'Far From' & welcome to our 'special' PTS gt3 group!

Looking forward to hearing what Stevens Creek told you is the story
behind these 30 PTS gt3 cars & how these special cars were allocated
to various US dealers earlier this year!

We will also have to soon do an update to our list to include all of
the late allocation MY2015 PTS gt3s in 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red
Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' we know were built...and all the dealers
where they ended up at!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 09-07-2015, 01:11 AM
farfromcommonGT3
Rennlist Member

Congratulations 'Far From' & welcome to our 'special' PTS gt3 group!

Looking forward to hearing what Stevens Creek told you is the story
behind these 30 PTS gt3 cars & how these special cars were allocated
to various US dealers earlier this year!

We will also have to soon do an update to our list to include all of
the late allocation MY2015 PTS gt3s in 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red
Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' we know were built...and all the dealers
where they ended up at!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Happy to bring my small part of the story into the light!

I originally was able to find this car about 3 months ago, and was determined to buy it, as I had recently sold my 2015 Black GT3 after driving it for 9500 mi and enjoying it for every one of them. I wanted to find a unique car that would help lessen the blow for me. I looked through every Dealer's inventory for one of the PTS extra cars that I had only discovered from Your thread months earlier. I finally happened upon the Stevens Creek car, and because of your intrepid reporting about the spec, I nearly had the cops called on me because I was screaming so loudly when I realized it was the last remaining fashion grey car! A quick aside.. I have a PTS RS coming, which I have been mum on as I had to purchase it from another owner who decided he didn't want his allocation, and out of respect to him I promised not to publicize the car until it was delivered in November. Where I am going is that I originally submitted for fashion grey for that car, and after much back and forth, my dad of all people (!) convinced me to go for a darker PTS grey (Lamborghini Grigio Telesto for those who care!) I thought my chance of ending up w a PTS GT3 were done, and that I wouldn't be able to have my dream colored one in fashion grey even worse.

However, once I located the car, I ran into yet another road block. The car was being held for sale at a RIDICULOUS premium. They were being offered 40k over nearly daily and flat turned them down in hopes of making EVEN more. They believed the car to be worth upwards of 200k all in. I must admit, despite my initial frustration with not being willing to 'pay the cost to be the boss' as my dad told me to, I actually believe the car to be fully worth that and more. It does strange things to people on the street and attracts more attention than any car I have ever had, exotics included.

Undeterred, I thought quickly about engineering an offline deal that would be able to benefit both me, by being able to buy the car, but the dealership rid itself of its overaged inventory problem. They had 22 2014 new cars in stock, and because they are operated by a public dealership group, they were unable to rid themselves of this toxic inventory unless they got creative. I can get into the particulars of the deal in private for those curious, but because of the ridiculous shortage on GT cars, I divined a plan that made everyone happy, a stroke of dumb luck as I see it! I picked 14 of the least toxic cars they had left, and in exchange I received three shortage cars to offset the massive loss (150k+) that I would have to take to sell all the 14s at their true value. Needless to say this was an extremely risky move, but as I have learned from my dad, aim small miss small. We in fact lost 163k on the 14s, but I am happy to report that on the sale of just two of the three shortage cars, we have made up, just slightly though, the whole loss. That left the third, this car, for me to enjoy! I have to tell you, it's much sweeter this way. I want to tell you all that I have THE best dad in the world, for how many would help their son go to these lengths just to get a silly car, albeit one this special, because he knew how much it meant to me to have my dream PTS car. I bet no one, and I'm the luckiest guy in the world because that amazing one is my Dad.

A lot has been said about 'stealerships' on this forum, but I can tell you first hand that it isn't the case. Dealers certainly didn't benefit when they had to spend MILLIONS (1.5) to tool up to service and sell 918s, of which they made less than 35k on per unit (34k all in!) while speculators are making upwards of 3-500k if they had the nuts to put up the 200k for the allocations. There are SO many models Porsche sells now that simply don't sell. Not even mentioning the factory 'brass hat' cars that the factory makes available (their way of spinning it that these cars are not mandatory for dealers to buy, all the while tying factory bonus money and extra pool allocations to the amount of brass hat, so named because they are dead weight, that you buy from PCNA and PFS off lease.

Back on topic, that's how this car made its way to the Dealership. It was a 'make good' on a factory brass hat purchase gone bad. The Dealer bought an executive demo car from PCNA, and it was represented as a straight car, no stories. When it was received, during PDI, it was discovered the car was anything but. (This happens to dealers too!) After a lot of back and forth, PCNA convinced the Dealer to keep the car, though they had PCNA dead to rights, as CA is extremely lenient to the purchaser in this situation. Like gentleman, to preserve relations, the Dealer sucked it up, took the loss on the car (36k when it finally sold, over a YEAR later) and hope PCNA would make it right. Without rhyme or reason, PCNA called up the GM and offered a bonus GT3 to consider the issue closed. Keep in mind that there is only 10 percent from dead net invoice to msrp, so if they were to sell this car for msrp, they would be in the whole by over 21k! So I had no problem with them pursuing the most money they could get for it, if only to mitigate their loss on the brass hat car that was the reason they ever even got the pool allocation at all! I have never paid over for a car, as I believe as most of you on here do, that it isn't worth it. In this case, creativity, experience in knowing what was at stake for the selling dealer, *****, and good luck all contributed here to me getting this unique car.

I want to thank you personally Eduardo. I have uncommon access to all things Porsche, and it was not until I happened upon your thread on the untold story of the PTS extra cars that I ever even heard about the existence of these unicorns! So thank you, THANK YOU! I will be up for rennsport, and at the Baja Cantina dinner meet up of all of us GT3 owners. My Dad and I will be sponsoring the bar at the event, and it would be my pleasure to have one, or hopefully several!, drinks to celebrate us both having one of these unique cars. It will be my sincere pleasure to finally meet you. Thank you again, and keep up all the great work taking the PTS project out of the dark, and highlighting the best available option on the Porsche cars we love!

C
Old 09-07-2015, 09:12 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that is one cool story. One big congrats goes out to you and your dad. Make sure you post more pics when all is done to your prize possession. Once again, congrats.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:42 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Wow. What a story!
T
Old 09-07-2015, 01:05 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That is an insane story! Congratulations for pulling it off! Kudos! Mazeltov! Cheers! So in the end you flipped something like $2MM worth of cars, and then were left with a fashion grey GT3 left over for your efforts! Smart, gutsy, and amazing! BTW, I assume you got your buckets from one of the 14 then?
I have to say, your portrayal of what the dealerships have to go though makes me more sympathetic to them. Thanks for bringing that to light!
Looking forward to more photos of your GT3 and RS when it arrives! And looking forward to meeting you and Rennsport!
Old 09-07-2015, 01:54 PM
farfromcommonGT3
Rennlist Member

Default The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' &amp; 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

Thanks for all the kind words! More pictures to come once it's all done. I appreciate the community for everything it has given me, and I look forward to repaying the kindness I have shown!
Old 09-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by farfromcommonGT3
In the interim I am addressing some short comings on the spec ( adding PCCB, clear taillight sand reflectors, and finally adding LWBs to replace the 4 Ways..)
So which type of LWBs are going to be added? Are you swapping in a set of the 918-style buckets from another GT3, or putting in another type of race seat? The 991 GT3 LWBs aren't available yet as a replacement part, are they?

TT

Quick Reply: The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!