Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:39 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You are looking at the drivers side, LOL!
I know. That's what made it interesting.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I just posted a video from this weeks auto cross in the auto cross section if you want to have a look at the low angle Rennline mount.

Auto x 2 traveres - YouTube
Yeah, the other good thing is how the mount is totally rigid. No bouncing like you see with suction cup and arm mounts.

I'm going to have to experience with mic placement on the GT3. I think behind the exhaust will be too loud and will clip the audio. I don't see a need for a foot well camera anymore, so I'll have to think of a place to mount my 3rd camera, LOL

Last edited by orthojoe; 01-20-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Slight divergence from topic - just got one of these, since picking up smarty HD go pro is relegated to bumper duty.

Question: Which field of view do you setup your go pro at? Wide/Med/Narrow?
I used to go wide. Now I'm on Med (video above). However, I think I'll try Narrow this weekend. The reason being is that the wider view distorts perception. On wide view, you can be on the guy's tail, but it looks like you're nowhere near him. Also, when the car is pulling away, it looks like it's pulling away faster than it really is. I think narrow will be more 'realistic'.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:02 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry OP for the hijack! I thinks it's time to start a new thread on go pro mounts.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Sorry OP for the hijack! I thinks it's time to start a new thread on go pro mounts.
Not a hijack! gopro mounts are track related!
Old 01-20-2015, 02:38 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I used to go wide. Now I'm on Med (video above). However, I think I'll try Narrow this weekend. The reason being is that the wider view distorts perception. On wide view, you can be on the guy's tail, but it looks like you're nowhere near him. Also, when the car is pulling away, it looks like it's pulling away faster than it really is. I think narrow will be more 'realistic'.
appreciate that. i've been using med for in car and it was perfect. in fact the smarty hd is even slightly narrower view, so it just shows pillar to pillar, the go pro on med showed the mirrors, on wide it was way too wide.

I'll start with med and try narrow.

If I can remember to turn the thing on. Gopro should add a g force start
Old 01-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I currently mount my GoPro on the glass sunroof of my 991 C2S but the GT3 doesnt have that anymore. What is the best place to mount it where it is still centered and I can still see the driver? Is there a mount I can use with the LWB?
Old 01-20-2015, 03:17 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what's the basic procedure to remove the pass seat cushion ? TIA
Old 01-20-2015, 04:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tosilog
I currently mount my GoPro on the glass sunroof of my 991 C2S but the GT3 doesnt have that anymore. What is the best place to mount it where it is still centered and I can still see the driver? Is there a mount I can use with the LWB?
Roll cage is the best bet. If you don't have one, then a helmet mount or mounting to the rear window. I'm a fan of the helmet mount:

Originally Posted by rockitman
what's the basic procedure to remove the pass seat cushion ? TIA
Peel off the back cushion first. Then lift the bottom cushion from the back. Be careful not to pull off too much too fast, or the metal pin will tear out from the cushion (not a big deal if it happens, but poor form). You'll see the metal pin locked into a white plastic clip. You have to open the clip and slide the pin out. This can be a PITA. You'll need 2 needle nose pliers to do this. After the pin is out of the clip, you lift the cushion forward, and then pull off the front lip of the cushion off the front clip. Reinstall in reverse. I didn't bother reattaching the metal clip. It doesn't do anything but frustrate you.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:08 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks joe. Very helpful.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Nice vid with overlay! What HW/SW set are you using for that? Forget this Porsche Track Precision stuff!

Roll cage is the best bet. If you don't have one, then a helmet mount or mounting to the rear window. I'm a fan of the helmet mount:

Peel off the back cushion first. Then lift the bottom cushion from the back. Be careful not to pull off too much too fast, or the metal pin will tear out from the cushion (not a big deal if it happens, but poor form). You'll see the metal pin locked into a white plastic clip. You have to open the clip and slide the pin out. This can be a PITA. You'll need 2 needle nose pliers to do this. After the pin is out of the clip, you lift the cushion forward, and then pull off the front lip of the cushion off the front clip. Reinstall in reverse. I didn't bother reattaching the metal clip. It doesn't do anything but frustrate you.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Nice vid with overlay! What HW/SW set are you using for that? Forget this Porsche Track Precision stuff!
Thanks. AiM Solo DL for data acquisition. I use adobe premier elements to merge the different camera angles. Then I use dashware to overlay the data. Labor intensive, but comes out really nicely.

I will test out my old system as well as the track app this weekend.

Based on what I know so far, I predict that I eventually won't use the actual app for data overlay and stick with my gopro and dashware setup. However, I will likely use data exported straight from the GT3 rather than the Solo DL. We'll see...
Old 01-20-2015, 11:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Some more pictures:

1) A view with the top caliper stud installed

2) A view of the caliper back on with stud and nut

3) This view shows why 19" wheels will be a TIGHT fit, and 18" is an impossibility. The bolt for the lower control arm is already VERY close to the OEM 20" wheel barrel

4) I brought the car in to the shop for a preliminary look at possible laguna sound remedies. Obviously this won't work since it only drops dB by 3dB and I need a 9dB drop. However, we have some ideas...

Old 01-20-2015, 11:32 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I've never had any problems with it at any DE I've been to. It's a solid mount. The low position makes the video much more exciting to watch
Hard to bump-draft with it on, though.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
Hard to bump-draft with it on, though.
^Lol!

I wanted to say thanks to our fellow rennlist member, SmokinGTS. He had some centerlock wheel guides made along with a cap to cover the threads and keep the optimoly paste away. They look great and are much cheaper than other options out there. PM him if you're interested in getting one. He only made a handful!
Attached Images  

Last edited by orthojoe; 01-21-2015 at 02:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal