What little niggles about the GT3 that make you go, "hmmm?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts
Default What little niggles about the GT3 that make you go, "hmmm?"

Not problems, but just sort of quirks with our cars.

Here's mine:

- If electronic simplicity and weight reduction was a goal, and thus no memory seats or entry-and-drive, why have cruise control?

- For those with Sports Chrono, why isn't there a factory installed or factory included iPhone or Droid holder to fully utilize the Porsche Track Precision App?

Not problems per se. Just things that make you wonder. A little bit, if not a lot.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:25 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cruise control but no memory seats or rear camera makes me wonder.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:39 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skuplist
The cruise control but no memory seats or rear camera makes me wonder.
At least with rear view camera you can just go aftermarket (for a better system that's cheaper than the 911/TTS OEM system) but not so with memory seats.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:41 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
At least with rear view camera you can just go aftermarket (for a better system that's cheaper than the 911/TTS OEM system) but not so with memory seats.
The memory seat option isn't a big deal. Who else drives your car??? For most of us....... No one else.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:43 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

I have a rear camera installed. Works great but the directional lines are not accurate from side to side. Factory camera would have it correct.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:44 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I use cruise control on the track.. always set to FLAT OUT.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:54 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
The memory seat option isn't a big deal. Who else drives your car??? For most of us....... No one else.
Not drive, per se, but my detailer does move the car by driving it and does move the seats to clean, y'know, the interior.

And, honestly, chicks dig guys who let them drive their GT3s.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:26 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Ok, my top one is not a big deal, but it just bogles my mind how what a bunch of idiots need to make this product to have this issue. Basically, whenever I shut off the car with radio off, when I start the car the radio is on. WTF???!!! I have to remember to turn off radio before every track session or otherwise it starts to make weird sounds on track, sometimes making me think something broke.

But pretty much anything related to PCM or however Porsche calls this POS is just a source of frustration. Sometimes navigation system screams at me and sometimes I can barely hear it, and there is no logic to it that I can decipher. How do I make it show all gas stations on the map? Why does when I have my jukebox on shuffle, it plays Bob Marley at least 20x as frequently as Radiohead? I literally have "Easy skanking" on every other drive, and 5 times while I get to Thunderhill (2 hours) but I have not heard most of Radiohead songs once since I got the car. It's still better than my wife's possessed Cayenne, which sometimes combines my memory seat settings with her mirror setting and otherwise, so I guess it's a Porsche thing. Never had issues like that in any of BMWs.

But from the feature standpoint it's 1) comfort access or whatever they call it when you do not need to find the key to start the car would be nice - I have not used keys in other cars in many years; 2)sometimes windows do not fully close when I open and close the door quickly (it lowers the glass a bit but does not fully raise it back) - I had bird crap get into car via this crack once; 3) why not have a feature to push brakes so that one could change centerlocks without a brake depressor - it's so easy to make and would make changing wheels easier and faster; 4) brake pads taper in stock calipers - not much, but still, with such an awesome brake system otherwise, why did they miss that? 5) no red (or yellow) stripe on the steering wheel - it's cheap to add, but why not just have it there? It's not vanity - helps to see steering angle better on track vids. 6) sport mode for exaust not sticky - I have to push this button every time - could it just remember the setting? track suspension mode is sticky, which is completely counter-intuitive. 7) when stock seat is adjusted for my body, I cannot fold it forward because it bumps into the ceiling, and also the integrated headrests are dumb because they prevent use of any harnesses with sport seats - not an issue for me because I have aftermarket seats, but WHY??? 8) buffeting at speed with windows open - unbelievably bad, makes driving with open windows a pain and recording any sound at track with inside mic impossible.

Anyway, as you can see from the list, everything is very minor and almost not worth mentioning, although mildly annoying at times. Everything except PCM, which is truly a B-grade high-school computer science project, and maybe buffeting (I'd pay $5K for an option that would get rid of it, if one were available).
Old 01-17-2015, 01:27 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Absolutely, positively a left handed key turn. We're not in LeMans circa 50 years ago. Also, can we have sport and exhaust always set to "on" please? How hard is that?
Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hfm
Absolutely, positively a left handed key turn. We're not in LeMans circa 50 years ago. Also, can we have sport and exhaust always set to "on" please? How hard is that?
I feel like I'm at LeMans every time I get in and wake that beast up! WooooooooooooooHoooooooo!
Old 01-17-2015, 01:35 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Worried about memory for the seats, just get the LWB's.

cuise control is for the Mulsanne straight when doing the 24 hours.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:37 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hfm
I actually prefer the location of the key turn. Maybe it's cuz I'm left-handed.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:43 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
...and maybe buffeting (I'd pay $5K for an option that would get rid of it, if one were available).
How about $160 for the AWE wind diffusers? http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning-foilertm-wind-diffuser
Old 01-17-2015, 01:47 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey now.

Mech just saved you $4,841 !
Old 01-17-2015, 02:12 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
How about $160 for the AWE wind diffusers? http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning...-wind-diffuser
Had my installed. Seems to work well, although I have not had the opportunity to drive over 100 mph. Look good thou.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What little niggles about the GT3 that make you go, "hmmm?"