Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time CL change

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:04 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike (in CA), not sure if you mentioned it, but is this the correct torque wrench and breaker bar combo you have?

Precision Instruments (PREC4D600F36H) 3/4" Drive Torque Wrench and Breaker Bar Combo Pack

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Mike (in CA), not sure if you mentioned it, but is this the correct torque wrench and breaker bar combo you have?

Precision Instruments (PREC4D600F36H) 3/4" Drive Torque Wrench and Breaker Bar Combo Pack

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Inst.../dp/B00HDPJF38
Yeah Zulu, that's the one. I also purchased the Rennline centering tool:

http://www.rennline.com/Centerlock-W...fo/T06/DELRIN/

Rennline was having a 15% off Christmas sale. I don't know if it's still in effect.

My apologies to all for not being more specific about some of the details around the CL change. My post wasn't intended as a DIY so much as just my impressions on doing it the first time after hearing for so long what a PITA it is. My curiosity was satisfied; it's a task that anyone with reasonable mechanical aptitude can handle and for me the intimidation factor of dealing with CL's is gone.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yeah Zulu, that's the one. I also purchased the Rennline centering tool: http://www.rennline.com/Centerlock-W...fo/T06/DELRIN/ Rennline was having a 15% off Christmas sale. I don't know if it's still in effect. My apologies for not being more specific about some of the details around the CL change. My post wasn't intended as a DIY so much as just my impressions on doing it the first time after hearing for so long what a PITA it is. My curiosity was satisfied; it's a task that anyone with reasonable mechanical aptitude can handle and for me the intimidation factor of dealing with CL's is gone.
That's cool. Thanks for the response Mike. Wasn't sure if the nut that came with the car would fit into the torque wrench head.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

Not having prior experience with this I just followed the steps in the manual as closely as possible which meant I lifted the car first. The reason I would have thought that breaking the screw with the wheel on the ground might not be ideal is that the weight of the car is bearing against the threaded connection and could make it even more difficult to loosen the screw. But I'm sure Strimdog's source knows more about it than I do.

Thanks, good follow up info; I do believe 1/4 turn would equal 90 degrees, though, not 60.

Great looking wheels. I love those....
Good point Mike! It's 60 degrees. I got my turns confused.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

That's cool. Thanks for the response Mike. Wasn't sure if the nut that came with the car would fit into the torque wrench head.
It does....no adaptor required. The drive on the ratchet head even has a locking pin that fits perfectly into a hole in the Porsche CL socket tool.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Strimdog...OZ Challange wheels...great track wheels by the way. I've been using the 18" version seen below in my sig pic for 2 years. A lot of guys use them at the track and they are the best bang for the buck for high end cast wheels. If not OZ I would be move up to forged wheels and be using Forgeline or HRE or BBS Forged. The GMG wheels are great too.
Thanks Mike. Looking forward to getting them on. They do look sweet. I do like the Forgeline also they were just a bit more pricy. I've come to find that track ambition and wives from a cost standpoint are closely related.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:26 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

No on has discussed taking off the front wheels without a person holding the steering wheel. Has anyone done this yet? I saw the one post about using blocking, but it seemed like an imperfect solution.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
No on has discussed taking off the front wheels without a person holding the steering wheel. Has anyone done this yet? I saw the one post about using blocking, but it seemed like an imperfect solution.
I'm going to try this next and will post here about it. Need to coordinate with my wife to have her standing by in case....
Old 01-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Btw Mike, my car has steering lock when I take the key out of the ignition. Did you mention earlier that your steering doesn't lock?
Old 01-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Btw Mike, my car has steering lock when I take the key out of the ignition. Did you mention earlier that your steering doesn't lock?
You gave me a moment of doubt there so just went out to double check. Turned the wheel full left and full right....no key in the ignition....no wheel lock. Mine is a 2014....yours? Can others of each year confirm?

FWIW, a steering lock is specifically mentioned in my Cayenne owner's manual but not in the GT3's. I'd like to make sure it's an actual feature and not something that's amiss with my car.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Mine is a 14, NO lock.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:43 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Yes, I did it. Not a huge deal to chock the other wheel. You still get a little
movement in the steering if you try to torque with the wrench too far off
horizontal and not parallel to the floor. If you are careful to torque with the bar/wrench at horizontal
it's not an issue. Of course having someone hold the wheel is optimal.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:16 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Strimdog,

Looking forward to the pics of those OZs on your car. They look sweet.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

GREAT POST.
40 min or so about right taking your time.
you will be down to 30 min in no time.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:08 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

You gave me a moment of doubt there so just went out to double check. Turned the wheel full left and full right....no key in the ignition....no wheel lock. Mine is a 2014....yours? Can others of each year confirm? FWIW, a steering lock is specifically mentioned in my Cayenne owner's manual but not in the GT3's. I'd like to make sure it's an actual feature and not something that's amiss with my car.
Mine is a 2015. I am doubly sure that the steering locks because I tug one side to get out of the car.

Quick Reply: 1st time CL change