Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey CAlexio, it would be a real shame if you weren't able to get the GT3. But even if you decide against it for now, it would be terrible also if you could never park any sports car or other low clearance car in your garage in the future either. It might be worth looking into the options. And I would not give up the apartment if I were you.

I've been thinking about your problem and have tried to sketch out your situation, and it would seem to me that it might be possible to work out a solution using temporary "speed bump" shaped ramps for the left-sided wheels only to get you over the threshold without scraping (see illustration). You'd simply have to pull these out as you approached the garage and place them just ahead of your left sided wheels just before you are about to scrape. They could be stored in the garage and wouldn't take up much space. Then pack them up again after you're safely inside. And of course, you'd need them to get out. Geometrically, they would created a smoother arc over which to enter, as opposed to a mountain peak, by bulging out the "sides" of the mountain just a bit where the wheels touch the mountain sides. Much less permanent than a ramp inside the garage, which would also solve the problem like reidry suggested. But it would allow you to park level too.

We're all really pulling for you! I have really enjoyed all your comments. You seem like a totally cool dude. Please don't give up just yet! And seriously, who'll represent plastidip around here if not you??!! Best of luck and it's been a real pleasure! But I hope this is not the end for your GT3 plans!

PS. the GT3 in the illustration is jet black!
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2014, 12:17 AM
green
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alexio, you're making the right decision.
It's sad, but your view is insane!!
Stay around please, ok?
Old 10-07-2014, 12:37 AM
rwcsn1
Instructor

hey Alex

really sorry to hear about your situation. Man, that really bites. I live in SF and I know what you're talking about finding what you feel is the right place. but to be completely honest, as someone who has killer views myself, it's actually not that difficult to find a view like yours. Tons of places over in Potrero, and if you don't mind condos in SOMA, there are a gazillion towers rising over here (I live in one of them). I know, it's easier said and not so easy to move out, but man, I feel for you.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:47 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Hey CAlexio, it would be a real shame if you weren't able to get the GT3. But even if you decide against it for now, it would be terrible also if you could never park any sports car or other low clearance car in your garage in the future either. It might be worth looking into the options. And I would not give up the apartment if I were you.

I've been thinking about your problem and have tried to sketch out your situation, and it would seem to me that it might be possible to work out a solution using temporary "speed bump" shaped ramps for the left-sided wheels only to get you over the threshold without scraping (see illustration). You'd simply have to pull these out as you approached the garage and place them just ahead of your left sided wheels just before you are about to scrape. They could be stored in the garage and wouldn't take up much space. Then pack them up again after you're safely inside. And of course, you'd need them to get out. Geometrically, they would created a smoother arc over which to enter, as opposed to a mountain peak, by bulging out the "sides" of the mountain just a bit where the wheels touch the mountain sides. Much less permanent than a ramp inside the garage, which would also solve the problem like reidry suggested. But it would allow you to park level too.

We're all really pulling for you! I have really enjoyed all your comments. You seem like a totally cool dude. Please don't give up just yet! And seriously, who'll represent plastidip around here if not you??!! Best of luck and it's been a real pleasure! But I hope this is not the end for your GT3 plans!

I like that the "sketch" even has the GT3 wing! It's true - lift the rear wheels at the right point and you skate on in.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:28 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
thanks Macca. yes, in back of my head i thought it might be an issue.. but it was a "i'll figure it out, least of my worries" kind of thought. I admitted to feeling kind of sheepish in the first sentence of this post actually... I could go on but trust me, I feel dumb enough.

dear friends, While I appreciate all the ideas, and don't want to be dismissive of honest assistance, just know that I live in a city with Draconian laws (just parking your car with the wheel turned the wrong way = a $500 parking ticket), and getting any modification to a curb which is walked by tourists and residents almost all day long, would take... an act of God... or maybe more. Lastly, the internal modifications would require some serious negotiation and acceptance from my neighbor and landloard, who is already upset that I'm breaking the "1 motor - 1 garage spot rule"... i have three ducatis I jam in next to my car. again, maybe I was naive, but seeing so many sports cars around town I was sure that it wouldn't be "that tough"... it was, and I'm glad I had someone who was nice enough to come over to do this test before I had locked my car... hopefully somebody is speccing the car of their dreams as we speak. The whole reason i originally got on this gt3 track was to get rid of my motorcycles and danger element associated with them both during track days and on the stree... I may still do that, but for now, I will still need a machine to satiate my inner gearhead.

at least my sweetie is ok with riding behind me on two wheels.. (she's being REALLY REALLY nice to me today... )

peace out.
The fact that you're renting puts a somewhat different slant on it, Alex, at least in terms of modifications. You seem relatively at peace with your situation. Hope you continue to check in here.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Alex, if Hitler couldn't get his GT3 in time, at least you will find common ground on this subject...

Old 10-07-2014, 12:33 PM
milban
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph

Excellent drawing, and color!
I humbly submit that a larger and longer speed bump inside, eliminates the need of the outside bump, and hauling it in & out.
In case the desire returns, Peace
Old 10-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Medevack1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Where there is a will there is a way. Good luck!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:41 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Calexio I too will miss your posts, but I understand the hassles of a car in the big city, wait and see, who knows maybe you buy a GT3 later or an RS. Will the lift help? have you ever tried a WRX STI same flat motor style and brembo brakes make it fun, but certainly no 911 build quality. The 991 GT3 is addictive, if you had it already, you might say Im moving. p.s. your GF i s smoking hot, more pics of her please!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
Calexio I too will miss your posts, but I understand the hassles of a car in the big city, wait and see, who knows maybe you buy a GT3 later or an RS. Will the lift help? have you ever tried a WRX STI same flat motor style and brembo brakes make it fun, but certainly no 911 build quality. The 991 GT3 is addictive, if you had it already, you might say Im moving. p.s. your GF i s smoking hot, more pics of her please!
Yes, the STI is fun. I use to have a 2005 heavily modified on coilovers that would probably still have trouble with that driveway. I have a 2013 STI now, that is bone stock. Very fun little car, especially in the winter.

Sorry to see this issue prevent you from owning this car Alex. I'm an Architect, and have dealt with some steep designs, but the more permanent fixes for your situation would not be worth it for a rental. If you want to take some detailed measurements, I'd be happy to have a quick 3d look. Your biggest issue I see is approach angle both vertical as identified in the sketchup drawing above, but the more difficult to resolve horizontal ( limited back out space).
Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 PM
///MMB
Advanced

It seems to me that you should be able to get your car in there if you raise the garage floor a bit by using maybe a few layers of race deck flooring or something similar.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:25 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Could you use 2 race ramps and place them back to back, with one upside down? Just thinking out loud.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Bummer. Too much of logistical nightmare to start modifying your garage/driveway in the city, particularly if it's a rental. Only real solution without moving would be to rent a parking space in a garage nearby.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:39 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Bummer. Too much of logistical nightmare to start modifying your garage/driveway in the city, particularly if it's a rental. Only real solution without moving would be to rent a parking space in a garage nearby.
That's what I'm having to do. Too many P-cars, not enough garage. Currently trying to convince my neighbour that she could park her 20 year old Nissan on the street and pocket $ from me every month. I think she's gonna go for it!

Vivian.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:04 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar
That's what I'm having to do. Too many P-cars, not enough garage. Currently trying to convince my neighbour that she could park her 20 year old Nissan on the street and pocket $ from me every month. I think she's gonna go for it!

Vivian.
Awesome.

I have 4 inside parking spaces and an extra spot in my racing trailer ... just in case. If all else fails I could add another lift.

It's not called a stable for nothing.

Ryan

Quick Reply: My garage