Sponsored by:

GT3 at Barber

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:06 AM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 at Barber

Not me driving, but nice video of how the new GT3 wins with relentless precision

Old 08-26-2014, 01:26 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I love that track. Great driving.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:36 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

That was my mate driving last weekend at Barber. It was his first outing with the GT3 and he said he was just taking it a bit gently!. He took me around for a few laps on Sunday and the car was stunning!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:56 AM
TrackFan
Banned

Very nice.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
That was my mate driving last weekend at Barber. It was his first outing with the GT3 and he said he was just taking it a bit gently!. He took me around for a few laps on Sunday and the car was stunning!
He's very smooth and precise....and quick. Great vid, fun to watch! Thanks for the post, cingulus.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice driving, very smooth, Gopro angle and manicured track makes it look like a PS4 GT game. ZR1 I assume was track prepared to have lasted so long without melting and must be making 600 bhp? Pulled away a bot on the straights but was no contests under brakes and through the twisty stuff although was well driven. Something time and time again I am realising watching these full session video and my own experience is that even if the tyres get hot on the 991 GT3 the chassis can cope and when everyone else is sliding around the GT3 remains relatively composed and then really starts taking scalps. Maybe RWS and 991 cup suspension components + larger tyre patch and less understeer at play...
Old 08-26-2014, 03:48 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice driving. The one thing that surprised me was the white Z4M(Had to be an M) but he has NO hp
like 333 maybe, and he hung on for awhile, fairly good driver I guess. But the GT3 was just a pretty piece of driving.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:47 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Nice driving. The one thing that surprised me was the white Z4M(Had to be an M) but he has NO hp
like 333 maybe, and he hung on for awhile, fairly good driver I guess. But the GT3 was just a pretty piece of driving.
If you watch the video again, you will notice ever since the ZR1 passed the BMW Z4, the GT3 had no chance to pass the Z4 as they were going through series of corners, and he was just waiting for the 1st opportunity there was a straightway to do so.

This was some great and very smooth driving from the GT3. Great job. Mark
Old 08-26-2014, 04:52 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Nice driving. The one thing that surprised me was the white Z4M(Had to be an M) but he has NO hp like 333 maybe, and he hung on for awhile, fairly good driver I guess. But the GT3 was just a pretty piece of driving.
I can actually provide some hopefully useful input for once.. Normally my experience lies in bikes, which I have races and sadly crashed at that very track.

I also took my z4m coupe out at barber years ago, and it was a dog. Wheelbase is very short and twitchy, and without making suspension adjustments (not sure if you could or not) it was a bit of a twitchy pig.. Unstable under braking, good smooth power but not a lot of it as the car weighs as much as a 3 series coupe. I hated driving it fast... Impressed that driver could even hang for a few turns.

Completed the 2 day Porsche driving academy at barber (fastest man of the class.. Err, thank you) and the regular 911 we got to drive was in a completely different league.. I can't even imagine what it must be like to drive a gt3 around barber.. Or any track. Hopefully I'll get to find out soon enough
Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Nice driving, very smooth, Gopro angle and manicured track makes it look like a PS4 GT game. ZR1 I assume was track prepared to have lasted so long without melting and must be making 600 bhp? Pulled away a bot on the straights but was no contests under brakes and through the twisty stuff although was well driven. Something time and time again I am realising watching these full session video and my own experience is that even if the tyres get hot on the 991 GT3 the chassis can cope and when everyone else is sliding around the GT3 remains relatively composed and then really starts taking scalps. Maybe RWS and 991 cup suspension components + larger tyre patch and less understeer at play...
Macca, the driver is an SCCA instructor and is incredibly smooth and fluid driver (and very humble). He's done the entire gamut of PDS courses including the Cup cars. It was a Tracks Unlimited event and many of the cars there were track prep'd, I'm quite sure the ZR1 was. My friend did say that the tires are the one compromising factor with the GT3 but, as you quite correctly state, the chassis and the dynamics of the car give it a winning advantage over the competition. He was stunned by what this car can do!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Cingulus, thanks for that video! Like David said, I love that track. So much so, I saw a quick opening came up for Oct. two-day GT3 Cup school at Barber due to a cancellation and grabbed it yesterday.
So psyched! Then I get to come home and my GT3 should arrive 2 weeks later!
There is still an opening for the one day GT3 school in September if anyone is interested and has done the masters class before. Great track and excellent instructors with impressive resumes.
I'll make sure I get some good GoPro video when I'm down there.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,900 Likes on 978 Posts

Not taking anything away from GT3 but the ZR1 driver is leaving a lot of time on the table in turns. Switch drivers and then maybe you can draw some relevant conclusions….

Nice to see M Coupe in the mix. Always liked these cars and getting harder and harder to find a clean example as many are actively tracked.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 PM
TrackFan
Banned

The GT3 driver was being very patient, and courteous. I feel if it was a real race he would have passed the ZR1 early.

The Turbo is another story. It had insane straight speed.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 991 Turbo driver was absolutely terrible. His/her lines were all wrong. It looked like someone who was a C+/D- driver at best. Would love to see a track showdown at Barber w/ 2 drivers who really know what their doing. Anyone who's driven Barber a lot can look at that video and know the 991 Turbo is braking too early, not hitting the apex, and taking the slow/sloppy lines through the corners.

Barber is actually one track where I could see the GT3 having a real advantage over the Turbo b/c of how tight and corner-heavy it is. There's only 1 long straightaway, so it's more of a GT3 haven...given it's designed as a motorcycle track.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

The GT3 is one hell of a driver. it is one video where by watching one can see how a good driver can make a difference. Remember, the 991TT has more power and RWS.

Quick Reply: GT3 at Barber