Saw my first 991 GT3 this weekend at WGI

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Saw my first 991 GT3 this weekend at WGI

All I can say is the HP on that thing has to be seriously underrated, not that this is news to many of you. I was driving my 997.1 GT3 and the way he could reel me in on the long straightaways (this was at WGI) while I was at full throttle was stunning. Somebody else (an instructor who rode along in the 991 GT3 during one session) said that in the corners it "defies the laws of physics." I'm in awe.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:52 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Love hearing that!
Old 08-24-2014, 10:55 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take pleasure in your perfect H&T downshifts.

The guy in the 991 can't say that.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Take pleasure in your perfect H&T downshifts.

The guy in the 991 can't say that.
Isn't that the other way around? The guy in the 991 is the one with the perfect downshifts every time, but only has to use a single finger.

I couldn't resist.... sorry bout that. I think we all know what you meant. It stings a bit knowing the PDK is such an equalizer, taking away come of the skills formerly needed. I was always in the manual camp, but have changed with the times after being forced to see how much better a PDK can be. Not an early adapter on this one, but definitely see the benefits and future.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Dude-
Pro

Thumbs down

xxxxxx

Last edited by Dude-; 08-25-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:49 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I've accepted the PDK, but it's not easy.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Dude-
Pro

I think the standard pdk is average but the S is phenomenal. The X6M has a very similar and pretty quick system but after I experienced the PDK-S, I felt like I could manually shift faster that was is already a fast shifter. Its been a little over a week with this new rig and it gave me a new perspective on my current cars. I thought they were good. apparently not anymore.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I am a hard core manual guy but got my GT3 yesterday. I am conflicted right now. I do not know how the heck Porsche pulled this off. How you can make and automatic that behaves like a Manual has me stunned. This PDK-S is some thing special. Even when you stop at a light it engages when you hit the throttle when it turns green like a Manual. The only thing you will ever miss is touching a third peddle. And, that just is a waste of time - I get it now. trust me. I had my doubts and I just really can not explain it. It would be tough to go back to a Manual all though I still love a good manual like the gated 6-speed on my R8. But PDK-S is a major accomplishment and deserves its clap.
But - I will also say this. they could of made this car with a manual and offered both options. They did it for the cost because I am not buying it that it revs to quick. Yes - the engine does rev quick but not enough to rule out a Manual
Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,800 Likes on 2,198 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
All I can say is the HP on that thing has to be seriously underrated, not that this is news to many of you. I was driving my 997.1 GT3 and the way he could reel me in on the long straightaways (this was at WGI) while I was at full throttle was stunning. Somebody else (an instructor who rode along in the 991 GT3 during one session) said that in the corners it "defies the laws of physics." I'm in awe.
Lap time?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:08 AM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am a hard core manual guy but got my GT3 yesterday. I am conflicted right now. I do not know how the heck Porsche pulled this off. How you can make and automatic that behaves like a Manual has me stunned. This PDK-S is some thing special. Even when you stop at a light it engages when you hit the throttle when it turns green like a Manual. The only thing you will ever miss is touching a third peddle. And, that just is a waste of time - I get it now. trust me. I had my doubts and I just really can not explain it. It would be tough to go back to a Manual all though I still love a good manual like the gated 6-speed on my R8. But PDK-S is a major accomplishment and deserves its clap.
But - I will also say this. they could of made this car with a manual and offered both options. They did it for the cost because I am not buying it that it revs to quick. Yes - the engine does rev quick but not enough to rule out a Manual

I've raced some simulations with paddle shifters. I can see the advantage. It's not so much that it shifts faster, but frees up your mind for the rest of the driving. We can all multi-task, but eliminating one of the tasks makes it easier.

Plus, the Cup car comes with paddles now. Who am I to say it's not better?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^ Can not comment on the track. I do not track my cars so I should of clarified from the beginning. I love the PDK-S and I am a manual guy so it caught me by surprise. It just have to take my hat off to Porsche. But - they could of offered both. There is no excuse but cost but I understand that. I just want manual people to give this a whirl because it will not disappoint. And that paddle neutral option is a hoot.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:34 AM
TrackFan
Banned

Definitely a manual for the street is more fun. No need to worry about the PDK shifting faster on the street.

Some guys don't like a manual in traffic, but it doesn't bother me.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The purpose of a sports car is to entertain and involve the driver. A manual should have been offered for those who want to row their own, no other justification is necessary. Just as no other justification is necessary to offer PDK to those who prefer it. No MT is a legit gripe about the 991 GT3 IMHO. I think there are two major factors: 1) Ferrari gets away with only offering F1 transmissions to their very exclusive clientele, and 2) Porsche didn't want to be bothered to certify 2 transmissions for various countries. Remember the 997.1 GT3 sunroof mandate? Also, the US didn't get the Sport Classic because Porsche didn't want to have to certify the bubble roof. I seriously doubt there are any technical reasons that a clutch couldn't be added to the GT3.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:00 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
The purpose of a sports car is to entertain and involve the driver. A manual should have been offered for those who want to row their own, no other justification is necessary. Just as no other justification is necessary to offer PDK to those who prefer it. No MT is a legit gripe about the 991 GT3 IMHO. I think there are two major factors: 1) Ferrari gets away with only offering F1 transmissions to their very exclusive clientele, and 2) Porsche didn't want to be bothered to certify 2 transmissions for various countries. Remember the 997.1 GT3 sunroof mandate? Also, the US didn't get the Sport Classic because Porsche didn't want to have to certify the bubble roof. I seriously doubt there are any technical reasons that a clutch couldn't be added to the GT3.
I agree. However, with the engine moved forward in the 991 chassis the previous 6 speed wouldn't fit, and I'd suggest that the PDK derived 7 speed manual might not have been ideal either, so a new manual gearbox would probably have had to be developed. In addition to the fact that PDK-S was judged superior (on a purely objective if not subjective basis) it may have come down to engineering resource and cost. But it no doubt could have been done.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
Its interesting what you say. Somewhere on here is is a video I took at the track last month. On an inclined 1 mile straight (with a kink in it) I was able to easily reel in a 996TT (stock). Infact on this straight was where I could more distance between myself and a well driven 997.2 GT3 that was following. With the 997.2 GT3 it took much longer (Vmax between the cars was less than 8 mph difference before braking).

I agree they could have made this car with a manual box. The engine spins fast indeed but so does a LWFC 6speed race 911 from a decade ago.

Having been a committed manual driver for 30 years (the 991 GT3 is the first dual clutch transmission I have owned) I will say there is definitely less going on in the cockpit. But Im travelling alot quicker too and still find Im using all my concentration. I enjoy H&T but i dont always get it 100% perfect (like many) and when I dont it puts un due stress on the gearbox and unsettles the drivetrain. Ive just rebuilt the G50 6speed gearbox and diff on my 993 track car at a cost of over $6000 (no gear sets were needed!). Most in our group with G50 including 996.2GT3 have had box rebuilt or are in need of rebuild after 2-3 season punishment. An one engine needed rebuilding after 3 seasons from a money shift with a number that have done over revs so far without issue but very soon will need a top end. This is one aspect of the 991 GT3 Im really liking - the fact you cant money shift and the rev matching eliminates some of the drivetrain punishment and the chassis remains settled. i can change from 3rd/2nd mid corner under train braking (not advised) in the 991 GT3 without it causing the car to get upset - in my 993 you would have to be very careful to leave a change this late.

Any owners of the 991 Gt3 must get to the track as soon as they are able to truly appreciate repeated 9000 rpm shifts in 2/3rd and feel just how stable this car is everywhere. Its just so solid. It gives you bandwidth to start playing with lines and brake points you never thought (or had the brave pills) to do in the older platforms.

Im coming form a highly developed 993RS platform (20+ years old) to the GT3 this time around so the comparison is maybe moreso than if you come form 997 GT3 etc.

Quick Reply: Saw my first 991 GT3 this weekend at WGI