Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918 Type Sport Bucket Seats appear on German gt3 website!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:27 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Edwardo,
thx for the great info (as usual)...
but to be clear, the "tilt back & forth" is a one-piece movement, as it is a fixed-back seat.
So there are 3 movement (directions) to the seat...up/down, back/forward & tilt?
And, the seat part break-out shows a manual lever...so all the adjustments are manual?
Thx!

Originally Posted by Z356
Don't have that information yet.

The 918 type 'sport bucket seats' can move up & down and tilt back & forth. That should give all of us the adjustability that we all expect from these type of seats...and its a major improvement over the gt2-type sport buckets!

I do want to warn everyone that we are not out of the woods yet re: US DOT approvals. In the US version of the 918 model, the initial production was going to have adjustable (up & down, plus tilt) drivers seats, but fixed passenger seats! PCNA was working with US DOT to allow that adjustability for passenger sport bucket seat too (just like available as option on every 918 model in ROW!). Apparently there was an issue re: to location of dash airbag on that model relative to location of passenger seat & ability to go up/down or tilt. I don't know if PCNA has gotten approval for an adjustable sport bucket seat yet on the passenger side of its 918 US model.

Furthermore, we really don't know yet how US DOT will react to this 918 type 'sport bucket seat' on the US 991 or 981 models! We are hopeful it will be approved...but that is only 'hope'. But as you all know, there has NOT yet been an official announcement from PCNA that these 918 type 'sport bucket seats' are approved by US DOT for any US model other than the 918!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 05-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
And, the seat part break-out shows a manual lever...so all the adjustments are manual?
That singular manual lever is also part of actual 'sport bucket seat' on at the 918 model (see photos). That lever allows that seat to move forward or backward manually. The 918 seats (at least on drivers side globally & optional on ROW passenger side) allows adjustability up & down, plus tilt whole seat slightly forward or backward (I believe, although I never adjusted for 'tilt' on my sole 918 ride). That is done electrically on the 918 seats. Probably will be adjusted similarly, via electric motors, on the 991/981 version of these sport buckets.

but to be clear, the "tilt back & forth" is a one-piece movement, as it is a fixed-back seat.
Correct. That 'tilting', to adjust slightly the pitch of the seat, is not to be confused with tilting the back rest of the seat forward, as in the gt2 type bucket seat, to access the rear of the cabin!

So there are 3 movement (directions) to the seat...up/down, back/forward & tilt?
Correct...on the 'sport bucket seats' for 918 model! Standard on driver's & optional on passenger's for ROW adjustability is forward/backward (manually), up & down (electrically), tilt (electrically), although I am assuming this function! This is big improvement over the older gt2 type 'sport bucket seats' which did not adjust except for forward & backward (manually).

Will it be same (electrical adjustments) in 991/981 version? We don't yet know for certain, but I believe they will be the same.

Will US DOT allow adjustments in passenger seat for US 991/981? We don't yet know that...or even if these seats will pass muster altogether. But we hope so!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images     
Old 05-14-2014, 12:17 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

^Very Nice!
Eduardo,
thx!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:32 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm still confused!

Does this potential US seat now on the European configurator have a backrest that can recline while the bottom cushion stays put (like current 991 sport or adaptive seats)?

Or is this seat a one piece design where the tilt function moves the bottom cushion and backrest together as a single unit? If this is the case, as the seat is tilted back, the front lip of the bottom seat cushion would raise higher off the floor.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Eduardo my GT2 style sport buckets in my 991 GT3 can also be adjusted for height /"rake" by positioning the seat differently on the side mount plates (from memory three slots to use for front bolt). Of course it cant be changed easily on the fly...
Old 05-16-2014, 12:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
I'm still confused!

Does this potential US seat now on the European configurator have a backrest that can recline while the bottom cushion stays put (like current 991 sport or adaptive seats)?

Or is this seat a one piece design where the tilt function moves the bottom cushion and backrest together as a single unit? If this is the case, as the seat is tilted back, the front lip of the bottom seat cushion would raise higher off the floor.
John, I'm 99% certain that the new 918 style seat which may be the future US seat, is not yet on the German configurator. The one shown is still the "old" 997 GT2 seat.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:04 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Spider seats are gorgeous. I'd be happy with the gt2 seats in the 991.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

I'm still confused!

From the representation on the page posted on Rennteam (see attached), it looks like the back of the 918 type 'sport bucket seat' for the 991 gt3 does NOT tilt forward like the gt2 type 'sport bucket seat' or the current 991 'sport seat plus'. So one piece. Yes, the 'tilting' involved is what I believe most of you call 'rake' and what I referred to in a previous post as changing the 'pitch'. As one side is lower the other side is correspondingly higher.

Originally Posted by Macca
Eduardo my GT2 style sport buckets in my 991 GT3 can also be adjusted for height /"rake" by positioning the seat differently on the side mount plates (from memory three slots to use for front bolt). Of course it cant be changed easily on the fly...
Yes, we had the possibility to change 'rake' or 'pitch' on the 997/987 gt2 seats too...but that adjustability required removing the seat and making these 'adjustments'! Definitely neither convenient nor practical!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...seat-rake.html

The whole idea behind 918 type 'sport bucket seats' is to make the adjustability easier and more effective for driver, so that he/she has clear visibility for safe driving regardless his/her height, torso or leg's length, etc. This is a consideration apparently NOW mandated by US DOT on seats that come up for their approval on automobiles to be sold in the United States from this point forward. And it makes a lot of sense...as you can see from the complaints from past gt2 type seat owners on '08 gt2, .2 gt3 RS, 997 gts, Boxster Spyders, Cayman R's, etc!

The 'problem' with adjustability, however, is that it creates a moving target for the deployment of the frontal airbags incorporated in the steering wheel and dash of your car. The driver's side is easier to handle since the steering wheel is adjustable & aligns with the desired airbag impact area. The problem appears to be the passenger side...at least on the 918 Spyder! Regardless the Porsche model, the dash-mounted airbag is fixed in place. And it must accommodate optimal frontal impact of deployed airbag on passenger whether he/she is sitting at low, middle, high position on the seat...and regardless the 'rake' of seat also chosen by the seat occupant! That issue might not be a problem on the 991's cabin since the two currently offered seats (sport and sport plus) also are multi-adjustable (4, 14 or 18 way) and the dash airbags have been designed with 'broader' impact area coverage in mind!

Hopefully, we will know the answer to these questions the moment PCNA announces that a 918 type 'sport bucket seat' has been approved for US sale as an option on the MY2015 gt3 RS and perhaps other 991 models. If not, we are back to square one.

Saludos,
Eduardo
R Gruppe Treffen
Cambria, CA
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 05-16-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

if you look closely............Porsche has added hard rubber or plastic wear pads on the sides...........previuos GT2 style sport buckets can get the leather side bolsters beat up as people get into and out of the car after 20,000 + miles.

Porsche made the seats better and will have less warranty wear & tear issues. Kudos to them. GT2 style seats are the best daily driver or race car it doesnt matter.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 05-16-2014, 09:42 PM
john weires
Pro

Mike,

Do you know if the 918 seat has adjustable backrest rake like the 991 GT3 sport or adaptive seats have? Or does the entire seat tilt or move as one piece?

I require a rake adjustment, tilting the whole seat will probably not help
my sciatica.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike,

Do you know if the 918 seat has adjustable backrest rake like the 991 GT3 sport or adaptive seats have? Or does the entire seat tilt or move as one piece?

I require a rake adjustment, tilting the whole seat will probably not help
my sciatica.
John, I don't know for sure but based on Eduardo's comments and the diagram of the seat it seems that not only will the 918 seatback not adjust for rake but it won't even fold forward for rear seat access like the 997 GT2 seats did. Speculation is that it may have an adjustment for height, which if it's like the regular sport seats, may also tilt the seat somewhat, but as you say that probably won't help your sciatica.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Yes, we had the possibility to change 'rake' or 'pitch' on the 997/987 gt2 seats too...but that adjustability required removing the seat and making these 'adjustments'! Definitely neither convenient nor practical!

[
Eduardo. The adjustments I refer to did not involve taking the seat out (that I am aware), They involved taking the bolts out the side of the seat then replacing them on a different slot. I cant be any more precise because I want there to photograph...
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2014, 10:49 AM
john weires
Pro

It's possible the new CF seat, if it actually becomes available, will have a more comfortable rake to the seat than my Spyder seats so that adjustment capability is not or less important. I will have to sit in one to find out......Thanks everybody for trying to answer this question. These seats have been a source of frustration!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Eduardo. The adjustments I refer to did not involve taking the seat out (that I am aware), They involved taking the bolts out the side of the seat then replacing them on a different slot. I cant be any more precise because I want there to photograph...
I will ask those that still have a factory supplied 997/987 era gt2 type 'sport bucket seat' on their Porsche if these adjustment slots and report back. If they are indeed a modification & improvement on the current generation ROW gt2 type 'sport bucket seat' now sold by Porsche on their 991/981 in other markets, it's a moot point with us in North America since we can't get those seats here anyway!

Saludos,
Eduardo
R Gruppe Treffen
Cambria, CA
Old 05-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

First feedback from the 981/987 Rennlist forum that I have received re: the issue you (Macca) raised.

Orthojoe believes there is no difference in his 987 era gt2 sport bucket seat in his Spyder from the photo of 991 gt2 sport bucket seat re: the area you have circled in yellow. And that bolt does not appear to 'adjust' the rake on the sport bucket seat! (see his response and photo of his seat at the end of this post).

And as this Rennlist thread documents (see link below), the 987/997 era gt2 sport bucket seats can not be adjusted unless you removed them from the car!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...seat-rake.html

Perhaps other 991 gt3 owners & prospects that had personal experience with the 997 era 'sport bucket seats' in their gt2, .2 997's, gt3 RS's, gts, etc. can chime in on this issue! Also present European/ROW 991 gt3 owners with current gt2 type 'sport bucket seat' similar to yours (Macca's) could tell us if the seats are adjustable for 'rake' without taking them off the vehicle or some other complicated 'adjusting' maneuver which is certainly not 'on the fly'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 918 Type Sport Bucket Seats appear on German gt3 website!