Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possiblities?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, the S54 motors, post fix, proved extremely durable. I have one in my track car.

No reason to believe that PAG's fix won't be as successful as BMW's fix.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

[QUOTE=frayed;11162335]IIRC, the S54 motors, post fix, proved extremely durable. I have one in my track car.

What about depreciation?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:07 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nick

What about depreciation?
I think it'll be highly dependent on the nature of the problem, its fix, and VIN's affected. Too hard to predict at this moment.

If it's only a handful of machines then I think no biggie.

If it's widespread and requires engine surgery, while I don't think Pcar buyers are as **** as Fcar guys (based on my experience with used Fcars), I think these cars could take a hit.

If it's widespread and requires a complete heart transplant, then I just don't have a good guess. I ask myself if I were looking at a used 991 GT3 that has a new motor with updated internals. . . . I would be satisfied. But the broader market outside motorheads/rennlist addicts? Hmmmmm.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:40 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just thinking about the S54 issues. Love that car. Mine was fixed without incident and resale was great. BMW also lengthened the warranty to 6 years 100k, iircc. Turned out the cars with issues (oil pump, etc.) were the better deal. BMW indentified the problem quickly, fixed it without much fuss and added the extended warranty to return consumer confidence.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I think it'll be highly dependent on the nature of the problem, its fix, and VIN's affected. Too hard to predict at this moment.

If it's only a handful of machines then I think no biggie.

If it's widespread and requires engine surgery, while I don't think Pcar buyers are as **** as Fcar guys (based on my experience with used Fcars), I think these cars could take a hit.

If it's widespread and requires a complete heart transplant, then I just don't have a good guess. I ask myself if I were looking at a used 991 GT3 that has a new motor with updated internals. . . . I would be satisfied. But the broader market outside motorheads/rennlist addicts? Hmmmmm.
It would be a biggie to the cars affected. Why would a buyer buy a used 991GT3 which had an engine overhaul over one that has not? The affected cars will take a big hit.

If the major fix is applied to all cars, they all will suffer more depreciation than normal.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:48 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick
It would be a biggie to the cars affected. Why would a buyer buy a used 991GT3 which had an engine overhaul over one that has not? The affected cars will take a big hit.

If the major fix is applied to all cars, they all will suffer more depreciation than normal.
That depends on how severe the issue(s) and surgery is.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
BMW indentified the problem quickly, fixed it without much fuss and added the extended warranty to return consumer confidence.
I am afraid that wasn't my friend's experience. My close friend's car was one of the first few E46 M3 to have the blown engine. BMWNA tried their best to blame him, refuse him warranty and charge him $17000 (and then $5000). He had to lawyer up. Meanwhile many more S54's expired (including SMG ones, so no more money shift excuse) and BMW relented. Porsche is doing way better on taking responsibility, but then again the fires don't give them much leeway.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:36 PM
bobbyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF Porsche had stuck to their previous course and had installed a derivative of a RACE proven engine, as in previous editions of the GT3/RS, there would be no reason for these "what ifs".

IMO this occurence will increase the burden of proof to potential customers with respect to this new motor's durabilty and toughness, especially for track and racing applications. If this 991 GT3 motor or a derivative of it does not make it to racing soon, then yes I think it could hurt in the market place moving foward.

I would suggest to Porsche, from now on, when it comes to the GT cars - race it first (i.e. the engine) - then later sell it to the public. Not the other way around!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd
IF Porsche had stuck to their previous course and had installed a derivative of a RACE proven engine, as in previous editions of the GT3/RS, there would be no reason for these "what ifs". IMO this occurence will increase the burden of proof to potential customers with respect to this new motor's durabilty and toughness, especially for track and racing applications. If this 991 GT3 motor or a derivative of it does not make it to racing soon, then yes I think it could hurt in the market place moving foward. I would suggest to Porsche, from now on, when it comes to the GT cars - race it first (i.e. the engine) - then later sell it to the public. Not the other way around!
Amen
Old 02-26-2014, 11:30 PM
silverrules
Drifting

The longer it takes the more serious the problem. 3 weeks into this and they still haven't said we have few defective parts. I think we are fooling ourselves with faulty part. Just saying.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Maybe they'll recall them and install a proper old school Mezger motor and a 6 speed.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:04 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd
IF Porsche had stuck to their previous course and had installed a derivative of a RACE proven engine, as in previous editions of the GT3/RS, there would be no reason for these "what ifs".

IMO this occurence will increase the burden of proof to potential customers with respect to this new motor's durabilty and toughness, especially for track and racing applications. If this 991 GT3 motor or a derivative of it does not make it to racing soon, then yes I think it could hurt in the market place moving foward.

I would suggest to Porsche, from now on, when it comes to the GT cars - race it first (i.e. the engine) - then later sell it to the public. Not the other way around!
Exactly, is it high noon Friday yet?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:37 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Does anyone near Atlanta still have their car?? If so, I need it for a few days. I'll come pick it up and will bring it back after some intervention. No kidding.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
The longer it takes the more serious the problem. 3 weeks into this and they still haven't said we have few defective parts. I think we are fooling ourselves with faulty part. Just saying.
15 days since the stop sale, 1 week since the do-not-drive. The response won't come in dribs and drabs. No company works that way, not even to mollify posters on the internet.

When the announcement comes, it will be after the investigation, testing, and validation of what went wrong has been concluded. There won't be interim progress reports. It will include information on the problem, what cars are affected, the schedule and process for the fix, and details on how owners may be compensated. If anyone has been through something like this from an engineering and manufacturing standpoint, they know it takes time.

No one is more anxious to get everything resolved and start driving their car again than I am. Just being realistic....
Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 AM
silverrules
Drifting

You are right Mike. I have been on the other side and always felt like we didn't have enough time to react. Now I am on this side and it feels like eternity Once this is all over we definitely need to have few beers and walk around the wagons and admire the beauty. I will shut up now and drive later

Cheers

Quick Reply: Possiblities?