Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sold, Just ordered from Tooltopia.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chuck. Good move!

By the way I know a number of guys around my weight who claim you can use this as a break bar by removing the gauge handle and you dont need a piece of pipe to slip over it if you have reasonable strength. So effectively if you are even a little bit fit and around 200lb youll manage just fine with this alone. You dont need the special tool for removing the caps and setting the lock mechanism as it comes with the nut bit in the front of the 991 GT3. You will need a trolly Jack bit can use the handle from that to slip over the torque wrench bar if you need extra leverage. Its unlikely youll ever a situation where you can borrow a passer by to [push on the brake pedal for a few seconds. Im not sure on the spec on the greese its teh one item I still havent purchased yet...
Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Not really. Porsche makes a retractable breaker bar but like everything else Porsche you will pay: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...97tt2_WheelsCL
Originally Posted by mooty
pls do NOT buy this tool. i have two. they bend upon FIRST use.
while i money around, the 2nd one, i had my friend demonstrate to me how to use it so as to not bend it. nope, it bends. and we are both <180lbs, tiny ppl.
Agreed; my response not adequately acerbic to communicate this sentiment.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:40 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Precision instruments works very well. Had mine 4 years.

It can be used as a breaker bar - remove torque handle, insert into center lock and stand on it, comes free with a bit of motion. Or use a pipe to get leverage and its easy and some but not all jack bars will fit over it (mine doesn't).

You will definitely need to get a truck brake depressor, or always have a second person on hand to press the brake pedal. I run the engine and then put the brake depressor on. Need the cylinder fully pressurized to get enough bite on the pads. Switch off and off you go. You'll just tune the wheels with the car jacked up and the wrench in otherwise even with handbrake etc on.

Nice if Porsche thought of this and added some sort of brake booster lockup button just for this purpose.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

FLM911. Your last comment had me thinking. Have you tried this with the 991 GT3? I just wondered iof the electronic parking brake applied more pressure than the older manual system? It would be nice if it did (work). I noticed even on the most server hill the electronic brake holds better than my old manual ones (which the car kinda rolls forward a tad before stopping)....
Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Chuck. Good move!

Im not sure on the spec on the greese its teh one item I still havent purchased yet...
Optimol, made by Castrol. A fellow Rennlister (Walt) told me about it and it is what they use at the dealership.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sam. Ill order some of that...
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Suncoast sells Castrol Optimol TA for the centerlocks. I haven’t found it anywhere else online in the US. There are a couple BMW motorcycle parts sellers in Europe that sell it for a similar price.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Suncoast sells Castrol Optimol TA for the centerlocks. I haven’t found it anywhere else online in the US. There are a couple BMW motorcycle parts sellers in Europe that sell it for a similar price.

I bought it at my dealership for a few bucks below Suncoast price, and no shipping. Dealer should be able to order it.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Optimol, made by Castrol. A fellow Rennlister (Walt) told me about it and it is what they use at the dealership.
Porsche used to sell Optimoly paste direct. I've had this tube for a long time; guess maybe they don't offer it under their own part number any more. I'll have to look for the Castrol branded stuff...
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
FLM911. Your last comment had me thinking. Have you tried this with the 991 GT3? I just wondered iof the electronic parking brake applied more pressure than the older manual system? It would be nice if it did (work). I noticed even on the most server hill the electronic brake holds better than my old manual ones (which the car kinda rolls forward a tad before stopping)....
Haven't tried it yet. You'd still need the fronts locked up tho if the ebrake can in fact hold the rears.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM911
Haven't tried it yet. You'd still need the fronts locked up tho if the ebrake can in fact hold the rears.
The 6 month review thread over in the 991 area stated that the electric e-brake brakes all 4 wheels, not just the rears.

Ryan
Old 02-04-2014, 02:47 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by reidry
The 6 month review thread over in the 991 area stated that the electric e-brake brakes all 4 wheels, not just the rears.

Ryan
That doesn't sound right to me......will check it out.....
Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by reidry

Ryan
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That doesn't sound right to me......will check it out.....
Drum brakes in rears only.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Drum brakes in rears only.
Yep, I also confirmed that today....

Quick Reply: Torque wrench for wheels