Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Radar detector install (V1) in 991 GT3

Old 07-25-2016, 12:07 AM
CobaltCr
User

Just in case you don't want to tap into the overhead console or fuse box I thought I'd throw in that the power plug in the glove box is a switched plug. Doesn't turn off immediately but will turn off 5-10 minutes after car is shut off. I just ran my v1 wire into the glovebox and plug it in there with the cigarette lighter adaptor.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:41 AM
rubbaman
User

Originally Posted by alpine-al View Post
Plugging the SAVVY into the GT3's OBD port could be difficult as it is now located in the drivers side fuse box and there isn't much space between the OBD port and the fuse box cover.

I solved this issue by using a low profile extension for the OBD port. Works great. I mounted the savvy under the steering column. see pics.
Heres the link for the low profile extension.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Pro.../dp/B00M7MPBSU

Old 07-25-2016, 02:51 PM
DC640
Addict
Rennlist Member

^ what a fantastic idea -

Regarding Savy - it states on their website that it does draw a small current when plugged into OBD port - what are your thoughts? Just leave it plugged in?

I like the idea of Savvy - can mute the v1 under certain set speed.. also provides power to the unit.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Jnosol
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC640 View Post
^ what a fantastic idea -

Regarding Savy - it states on their website that it does draw a small current when plugged into OBD port - what are your thoughts? Just leave it plugged in?

I like the idea of Savvy - can mute the v1 under certain set speed.. also provides power to the unit.
I did a ton of research before buying the V1 and V1connection LE. I chose not to use Savvy due to many negative reviews of power draw and blown fuses.

Instead, I run V1connection LE with StealthAssist iOS App for the V1. With StealthAssist, you can mute the V1 at the set speed and further customize the V1. This makes a V1 a very powerful tool. Plus, you can black out the V1 lights at nighttime and only use your phone to avoid distractions & being noticed.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm curious as to how the speed set feature works for muting the V1 and how useful it is. Is it easy to set on the fly? For example, if you set the threshold for 75 on a 70 mph freeway, what happens when you enter a 35mph zone through a town? Maybe I don't understand what setting a mute speed is all about.....
Old 07-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Jnosol
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA View Post
I'm curious as to how the speed set feature works for muting the V1 and how useful it is. Is it easy to set on the fly? For example, if you set the threshold for 75 on a 70 mph freeway, what happens when you enter a 35mph zone through a town? Maybe I don't understand what setting a mute speed is all about.....
That isn't the purpose of SAVVY. The V1 is an excellent radar with very long range capabilities. However, it's very chatty when driving around town (it picks up almost any radar, even automatic doors). When you set let's say 40mph, it will mute the V1 until you drive past 40mph. So it won't "beep" you to death when you're at a stop light or cruising around town.

Instead of SAVVY, I use V1connection LE with StealthAssist iOS app which you can change the speed threshold on the fly.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stea...792567084?mt=8
Old 07-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jnosol View Post
That isn't the purpose of SAVVY. The V1 is an excellent radar with very long range capabilities. However, it's very chatty when driving around town (it picks up almost any radar, even automatic doors). When you set let's say 40mph, it will mute the V1 until you drive past 40mph. So it won't "beep" you to death when you're at a stop light or cruising around town.

Instead of SAVVY, I use V1connection LE with StealthAssist iOS app which you can change the speed threshold on the fly.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stea...792567084?mt=8
Got it. That makes sense. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:15 AM
911 Part Deux
New User

Default Don't want to break it...

Originally Posted by Jnosol View Post
Nice work. I chose not to use mirror tap as I will run the BT device with my V1 as well. Tapping the fuse is actually just as easy, maybe 10min longer. May I suggest cleaning up your wire?

Pop out panel labeled #1, then #2. The OEM mirror bezel has a hole, maybe enough for a wire to run through. I didn't have to drill a hole for the wire that came with the V1. It's much cleaner and looks OEM.
Great info here.... Any more tips on removing the overhead console pieces? Does it matter if it's a cabriolet? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:53 PM
aCayenneFan
User

Originally Posted by silverrules View Post
LOL Mike.That's great. Couple yrs ago while heading out of Tahoe on my guards red C4S I saw a truck coming the opposite direction that appeared to be a cop, looked at my valentine 1 and no beeps. I was doing approximately 10 to 15 over the limit. He made a u turn and gave a me a ticket. He said I was approximately going 10 over the speed the limit. When he came behind me and turned his radar I had slowed down already to speed limit and V-1 was beeping but he gave the ticket anyway. Its just luck. When its time they will write me again.
You could have fought the ticket. Radar (as opposed to laser/LIDAR) tickets in CA must show proof of recent (same day?) calibration of the radar unit for the ticket to stick. Most LEOs don't bother to calibrate their radar; if they do the calibration, they manage to mis-place the calibration slip, so odds would be in your favor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radar detector install (V1) in 991 GT3

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: