Sponsored by:

AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection

Got the AIM Solo DL working in the 991 Gt3 today. I have the OBD cable from my 997 so hoped it'd be a nice simple swap from the .2 GT3 to the new one. Wrong.

Trial and error but you have to select the 991 981 OBD setup in the AIM software and it then seems to work ok. Limited data though as you can see below: Steering angle and rpm works ok, basics are there. Haven't been able to run on track but can see the data coming through ok.

Different issue is that the obd port is now inside the fuse box on the driver side which unlike the 997 means you can't just plug in and leave it in - it was on the top of the footwell/ below the dash over to the left. Nice and easy, could also route the cable behind the carpet up to the Solo (I also had a racekeeper system so could route to that easily as well behind the drivers seat).

Bit different now because the 991 fuse box cover has to come off to get to the OBD port.

You just can't get the fuse box cover back on with the cable plugged in. Don't like the idea of running the car without the fuse box cover on, especially on track. Might be able to buy a spare panel cover and cut the bottom off so you can leave the OBD plugged in. More likely CAN is the only practical way to go now for a GT3. No big deal, but good to know if your considering an OBD plug in connection and don't want to have a permanent CAN connection. I preferred the good old fashioned 997.2 OBD port under the dash so I could plug in and remove if I'm driving days to day versus on track..but times are a changing.
Attached Images    
Old 01-03-2014, 12:14 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Good info. I was planning to use the OBD for the Solo as well. I like your idea of trimming a 2nd panel cover, but where the cable comes out, will your left ankle still be hitting it, when bracing on the dead pedal (or can that be angled/tucked away?).

Do you know what’s involved in going to CAN instead if OBDII?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 AM
FLM911
Racer

Its awkward because there is nowhere to route the cable and get it out of the way, no plastic just carpet to tape it to as a fall back is also sub-optimal. This is why the 997 interface being up and out of the way was so much better / safer.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:52 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe it's possible to get a right angle OBD connector, so that the cable comes out along the carpet, instead of into your leg/foot?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

That's good to know. Thanks for posting.

Personally, I prefer the CAN connection over the OBD2. Assuming there is a CAN protocol for the 991 GT3, I plan to use it over OBD2.

One good reason is that I've seen two people screw up their OBD2 pins from leaving the the connector attached while tracking. Somehow the connector gets bumped and the pins get bent. One guy started getting CEL lights, and another guy's connector had to be replaced. With the CAN line, it's a hard wire that I solder in, and it's solid/reliable. Also, usually you can get more channels at a faster capture rate than OBD2.

I use this connector that Jerry at austin motorports sells to allow a quick disconnect from the CAN line, and also allows me to use the connector on multiple cars.

Last edited by orthojoe; 01-03-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks guys, I'm a VBOX guy, so likely the same issues.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:05 AM
FLM911
Racer

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Maybe it's possible to get a right angle OBD connector, so that the cable comes out along the carpet, instead of into your leg/foot?
Good idea - challenge there is where to route the cable to then as it'd run right against the left foot rest pedal (connector in the pic is a left handed standard version from AIM). With track mats in you could run the cable under them I guess. Im more worried about just catching the connector by accident as your driving around.

Its back to the old saying of having 100% confidence in the car on track means not having to spend any brain cycles while driving being concerned with some aspect you know isn't right or having to work around.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:31 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Go with CAN and you'll not look back. Just so many more relevant data channels. Like brake brake pressure, steering angular speed, temps, and oil pressure. For me the brake pressure alone is reason enough. Higher refresh rate too--up to 50Hz in some channels.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

So can I just bring my 991 over and you can help me??? Lol my ADD kicked after the first picture !! Good info!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM911
Im more worried about just catching the connector by accident as your driving around.

Its back to the old saying of having 100% confidence in the car on track means not having to spend any brain cycles while driving being concerned with some aspect you know isn't right or having to work around.
Exactly. This is how my 2 friends screwed up their OBD2 pins. Take a look at going the hardwire CAN route.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:39 AM
FLM911
Racer

Originally Posted by 930man
So can I just bring my 991 over and you can help me??? Lol my ADD kicked after the first picture !! Good info!
Just get that red rocket here Matt!!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed to all of the above. I don’t want something jutting out in the footwell. I will likely have my shop wire-in the CAN when I get the car. Don’t think I can be trusted with a soldering gun.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
Ditto.....someone please make a plug and play kit...
Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,852 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Go with CAN and you'll not look back. Just so many more relevant data channels. Like brake brake pressure, steering angular speed, temps, and oil pressure. For me the brake pressure alone is reason enough. Higher refresh rate too--up to 50Hz in some channels.
^^THIS^^

The OBD-II connection sample rate is limited because the transfer rate is less.

Richard, Matt, I can come over and help attach the CAN lead directly. It's a snap.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,852 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Richard, what did NOT work on the OBD-II channel list?

Here are the CAN versus OBD-II channels. Logging rate on OBD-II is limited to 10 Hz for many channels.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection