Sponsored by:

991 GT3 LA Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:30 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
Serge944: what did you not like about the silver in person? What color would you pick over that. I can't for the life of me decide between Rhodium and White or LED vs. halogen. I think I'm just going to flip a coin for both.
Just get it. Cant go wrong. I'm going White and Powder coat wheels Matte black.
I've seen white 991S 's and they look awesome.. GT3 can only look better.

Or spend hours playing with the configurator like I did LOL.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pj6e4i4608nvadx/k8TduBU7Oy
Old 11-24-2013, 06:42 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Drifting
Disagree. Maybe the most expensive cars made by a company, i.e. 911 turbo, Mercedes AMG, but I don't think for a minute that a 991 GT3 with the current powerful halogen headlights, would look dated in 5 years. No way am I paying over 3 grand just for LEDs.
Agree that the standard xenons will not look dated.

Disagree about halogens. The standard lamps are bi-xenon which are metal halides. Much different animal than halogens.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Just get it. Cant go wrong. I'm going White and Powder coat wheels Matte black.
I've seen white 991S 's and they look awesome.. GT3 can only look better.

Or spend hours playing with the configurator like I did LOL.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pj6e4i4608nvadx/k8TduBU7Oy
I added option XHB and EEA that changed the inside trimming to leather. It includes the doors, areas above the glove compartment and the center console. Try it on the configurator. It looks much cleaner and gets rid of all that cheap metal. Cost was around $1100 for both but it looks much cleaner.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:06 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I added option XHB and EEA that changed the inside trimming to leather. It includes the doors, areas above the glove compartment and the center console. Try it on the configurator. It looks much cleaner and gets rid of all that cheap metal. Cost was around $1100 for both but it looks much cleaner.
considered that. Think it may be too much leather, lending to the monochromatic look. still considering, however...
Old 11-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
Serge944: what did you not like about the silver in person? What color would you pick over that. I can't for the life of me decide between Rhodium and White or LED vs. halogen. I think I'm just going to flip a coin for both.
The color is too soft. It doesn't compliment the aggressive styling of the car. Kind of like silverstone on a e60 m5.

White is my favorite for the 991 (and probably the most universally-liked GT3 color), but I like guards red and basalt black too (though, these two colors must be equipped with yellow PCCB calipers in my aesthetic book).

I wouldn't get LED lights because I don't see any advantages, but a huge disadvantage in the form of $3k.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
The color is too soft. It doesn't compliment the aggressive styling of the car. Kind of like silverstone on a e60 m5.

My thoughts exactly. I actually like rhodium silver and think it looks great on a regular 911 or 911 turbo.
However, given the aggressive styling overall of the GT3, I'm probably going to get guards red.

This also makes it easier to justify the money for deviated red stitching as deviated red stitching really makes the interior pop and bring some of that aggression inside if the exterior is guards red. And I feel better about spending the money since the Guards Red exterior is a no-cost option.

LEDs are so not worth it. I have Bi-xenons with PDLS on my current P-car, and they are incredible.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 PM
dntlvet
Pro

How many 991 GT3 cars will be allocated in the US?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:38 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frayed: My typo on the "halogens". I was hard at work today on Sunday trying to pay for my GT3. I meant xenons. Glad to see you were reading
Old 11-24-2013, 08:59 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LED's are not a $3000 option. The difference between LED's and the B-Xenon's with PDLS is $1765.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
The LED's are not a $3000 option. The difference between LED's and the B-Xenon's with PDLS is $1765.
Depends on your perspective, I guess. LEDs are a $3110 option if you weren't planning on specing your car with PDLS.

Just like the steering wheel red stitching only costs $1300, if you were planning on full leather anyway.
However, if you didn't care about full leather but just wanted the red stitching on the steering wheel, that cool red steering wheel will cost you $4,800, because you can't get one without the other.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-24-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No--that's the difference between the BLACK PDLS and LED. It's a $2340 difference between LED and gray PDLS...
Old 11-24-2013, 09:25 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

That's true. I'm not sure how gray looks vs black.

Well this LA show has me interested. I see that it's on all week. Booked a flight on Thursday to LA
Old 11-24-2013, 09:27 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Made my way to the LA Autoshow yeseterday to see the new lineup. My impressions of the new GT3 are that it is absolutely beautiful! This car looks extremely nice in person. I'm also a big fan of the new rear decklid/spoiler combo which in my opinion looks much better than previous GT3's and rivals the 997.1 GT3RS (my personal favorite of all 911 decklid/spoiler combo's of any variant). I think the LED headlights look much better in person than they do in the pics as well. Yes I see why some people may not be big fans of how they look, the reason is because it does take away from humanizing the car as we've come to look at the light as sort of the pupil of the eyes and they do take away from that effect. Perhaps if the bezels were black rather than chrome, it may look better and be less distracting. I know several people are considering the Rhodium Silver and here's my impressions of it. First, I think it needs to be seen outside in the sun because the lighting in these halls are often not true to life and the color looks different from different angles due to the indoor lighting, same goes for any dealership showroom. That being said, I personally like the Rhodium Silver a lot. But if you are a fan of a true silver, you'll most likely be happier with the GT Silver. The Rhodium is more of a blueish/light grey and you may be disappointed if you're looking for a true silver. It's not quite as cool of a color as the old blueish silver from the 993 days, but it's close and really is nice. I've included my pics of it below.

918 Spyder
I was SUPER disappointed in the 918 display. SHAME ON YOU PORSCHE!!!! I understand not having the car out for everyone to paw at and touch. But they should have had it on a cordoned off turntable or at least front and center for everyone to be able to see it and from all angles. The display was basically looking through a window at a static car. It was really quite presumptuous and made you feel like, if you can't afford the car, you shouldn't even be allowed to look at it, but we'll throw a bone to you peasants by letting you stare at it 10' away through a dirty window filled with fingerprints and smudges of people's noses as they tried to peer in for a better look. The car itself it beautiful and I can't wait to see one on the road. But I didn't get any different impression of it in the flesh than I'd already had from pictures. Maybe that's just because the display made it feel like I was looking at a big 2D picture rather than at the actual car. Porsche must have forgot, this is supposed to be the car that today's youth will put posters of it on their walls, thus establishing a brand loyalty early on. The car that first time Porsche buyers try to establish the lineage with. The car that today's Boxster owners aspire to buy in future years. I guess what I'm saying is, leave the snobbery to Fiat, er, Ferrari. By taking the Halo car of Porsche and displaying it in this manner, not only was it not enjoyable to see in person (Much better to see it in magazines or online since it was so poorly displayed, felt like I was looking at a life-sized monitor), but it also made me resent the company to a certain degree for making me feel like I'm not worthy of even looking at their product. Though I may be in the minority, I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling that way, infact, I heard SEVERAL people talking about this in the halls of the show, so I know I'm not alone in my feelings.

Crowd "trying" to get a good look at the 918 Spyder

Please excuse the glass pain seem and the reflections from the glass, truly the poorest display ever for a Porsche super car!

The only front angle I was able to get of the 918. Congratulations to the gentlemen that the higher ups were showing the car to. They must have been in quite good standing with Porsche to be not only allowed to truly see the car in person, but to actually get to sit in it and fiddle with everything.

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I don't know.
In a few short years, most cars will likely have LED's. Cars with bi-xenon lights will look dated. Sort of like the cars with older lights look now.
A car with a manual transmission and bi-xenon lights will be an antique.
I disagree to a point, I don't think the bi-Xenon equipped cars will look dated, however I do agree, they'll be looked at as antiques with the manual transmission lol But seriously, most car manufacturers are still using Halogen lights in their mainstream models with Xenon/HID's as options or equipped standard on their higher end cars. I don't see Xenon's as being outdated for quite some time.
Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Excellent Picts !Looks like gt3 getting all attention... Poor turbo. LOL

In real life is it?

A) ok... Looks a little better then Picts
B) wow...very cool from the front, but wish it was more muscular in the back compared to turbo
C).WOW WOW... This is awesome.. I have to have this car.
D). Game over.. This is best looking car at the show. Beats Lamborghini , F, etc
The Turbo actually had a bigger crowd around it than the GT3. I think to the Layman, people know the Turbo is their "Top" model, they just don't know what a GT3 is. Or they see the HP/Tq specs of the GT3 and compare them to a Turbo and just figure it's "lesser" so the car must be also. As for your A-D, for me, C lol
Off topic, but has anyone noticed how tiny the luggage compartment is getting? This was from the Turbo, can't even fit a golf club let alone a set of them in there. Heck, i'd be hard pressed to fit one of those lunchbox sized coolers in there nowadays lol

Originally Posted by reidry
For those that saw the car in person at the LA Auto Show, would you go Rhodium or GT Silver ?

I'm still on the fence between White, GT Silver and maybe Rhodium.

Ryan
my answer is, I personally love it, but if you want a true silver, go with GT Silver. I feel this color has to be seen in person to truly know which you'd prefer between GT and Rhodium silvers.
Originally Posted by silverrules
I just had to laugh a little because back in the 996 days people were calling for high quality metal to get rid of the cheap plastic.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:47 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

How is the interior optioned at the show?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I didn't think the 918 display was meant to offend, but to double as a quiet office for potential buyers to discuss the car.

I thought the Porsche owners lounge was a very nice gesture. They still extended the invitation even though I don't own a Porsche at this time.

Also attached a few more GT3 shots.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 LA Auto Show