Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Options in Configurator

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

What would be the benefit of alcantara vs. leather wheel or vice versa?

I'm still on the fence about 1) red stitching (getting GR exterior and red seatbelts, but NOT red dials); 2) carbon fiber package; 3) sport chrono.

For sport chrono, I do not like the looks of it and it seems useless, especially since it's unlikely to be able to automatically start lap and segment times. But for some reason everyone says it will help resale. Not that I care much about resale, but it's just $400, and I can tolerate the way it looks...
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
On the configurator you can choose full leather in the seat option box, which will not have deviated stitching. Dev stitching is an upcharge that you choose with full leather, an extra $1490. Full leather has leather dash, but not the entire dash. To get that you have to add in some extra a la carte options.

I keep going back and forth on the alcantara v. leather wheel.
I'm still confused.

If I open up a brand new configurator, jump to the Interior tab and select the Adaptive Sports Seats Plus (18-way) with the Alcantara/leather and leather option the door panels in the configurator image seem to get alcantara. Is this correct or must I add another option to get any alcantara on the door?

So without the Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara the top of the door panel is plastic?

When I add the Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara is there another section of alcantara added to the door panel?

So without the Additional Interior Package, Dashboard in Leather the forward part of the dashboard is plastic?

If I choose to go the full way on the dash, has anyone had a black full leather dash before? How did it hold up in the sun?

Also, if I got with the basic wheel that is an Alcantara covered sport wheel correct? And if I check the $0 option for the SportDesign Steering Wheel that gives me the wheel with regular leather correct?

Ryan
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta give up one and for me I never liked colored dials anyway.
Before I got the white/red .2 RS would have agreed....but find the red dials actually work rather well..
Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

max,

Longevity. The alcantara tends to show wear by matting and pilling. Despite killing, tanning, and cutting the finest grade alcantara from prime alcantara cattle, it wears more noticeably than smooth leather, but depends on driving habits. On the plus side it feels great, is sporty, and is grippy. It also is a GT specific.

Options are so personal. Over the years I've found that if I option a car like it's my last Porsche, I go nutty. But if I option a car realizing that I'm only going to be its custodian for several years I tend to be rational. For that reason I'm trying to keep options that I'd truly miss not having. For that reason, and b/c I'm simply not a fan of non-structual carbon fiber, I'd skip the carbon fiber options. But that's just me.

Sport chrono: Doubtful it'll help resale. If it does, that means the market doesn't understand that sport chrono in the gt3 is useless. Sport chrono, aka 'the wart' looked really nasty in the 997; it is better integrated in the 991 IMO. I'd skip it and have a clean dash. Again, IMO.

Part of me just wants a no option car except for lift, but I keep drifting to the option list finding reasons why I 'need' stuff. LOL
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 PM
frayed
Race Car

I can't answer all of your questions with certainty. The dealer can though.

Originally Posted by reidry

So without the Additional Interior Package, Dashboard in Leather the forward part of the dashboard is plastic?
I believe this is correct. There's a portion of the dash ahead of the main body that will be plastic with the full leather option.

Also, if I got with the basic wheel that is an Alcantara covered sport wheel correct? And if I check the $0 option for the SportDesign Steering Wheel that gives me the wheel with regular leather correct?
Correct.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

...Sport Chrono, in addition to the "wart", does get you the dynamic engine mounts
which are preferred vs standard.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:19 PM
frayed
Race Car

Don't think so. Dyn mounts are standard in the GT3.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Part of me just wants a no option car except for lift, but I keep drifting to the option list finding reasons why I 'need' stuff. LOL
Exactly! Porsche has us figured out.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

The Porsche plastic looks pretty good. Hard to distinguish from leather.

Unfortunately, Porsche sales people have not been trained on the options. I hope they soon will be. The configurator is confusing.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm still confused.

(A) If I open up a brand new configurator, jump to the Interior tab and select the Adaptive Sports Seats Plus (18-way) with the Alcantara/leather and leather option the door panels in the configurator image seem to get alcantara. Is this correct or must I add another option to get any alcantara on the door?

(B)So without the Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara the top of the door panel is plastic?

(C)When I add the Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara is there another section of alcantara added to the door panel?

(D)So without the Additional Interior Package, Dashboard in Leather the forward part of the dashboard is plastic?

(E)If I choose to go the full way on the dash, has anyone had a black full leather dash before? How did it hold up in the sun?

(F)Also, if I got with the basic wheel that is an Alcantara covered sport wheel correct? And if I check the $0 option for the SportDesign Steering Wheel that gives me the wheel with regular leather correct?

Ryan
(A) Correct. The "and leather interior" option gets you the alcantera door panels.

(B) Well it's a nice looking vinyl, but yeah, plastic.

(C) If there is a conflict between 2 options the configurator will usually inform you. Even with the "and leather interior" option checked you can still choose the Extended Door panel option but I'm honestly not sure what it adds that's of consequence.

(D) Yes, but IMO the rear portion of the dashboard is the part with the stitching that faces you and it's more visible and important that it be in leather.

(E) I had a burgundy full leather dash in my '84 Carrera, black in my 996, and Cocoa in my 997. I owned the '84 for 12 years and the 996 for 8. They looked good as new when I sold them. That said, I typically covered the car when it was outside in the sun.

(F) You are correct.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:31 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

What do you guys think of the door sill options? The basic one looks a bit lacking. I kinda loke the illuminated Stainless one.

The aluminum pedals look a little too flat and slippery, I think I prefer the stock ones with the rubber centers for the times I'm not wearing my Piloti's.

Ryan
Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't think so. Dyn mounts are standard in the GT3.
You're correct...thanks
Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

What do you guys think of the door sill options? The basic one looks a bit lacking. I kinda loke the illuminated Stainless one.

The aluminum pedals look a little too flat and slippery, I think I prefer the stock ones with the rubber centers for the times I'm not wearing my Piloti's.

Ryan
Obviously subjective, but personally I wouldn't spend $700-1200 for something that's going to be hidden 99% of the time and subject to scuffing. Likewise $625 for pedals.

I need the axle lift, and full leather (the "and leather interior") is a worthwhile add. $700 is a bargain for PCM with Nav and Sound Plus. GT Silver will be pricey but I like the color. Other than some of the $0 adds, (90L tank, smokers package to get the console lid, smooth leather wheel) that's it for me on the options.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:51 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't relate to the deviated stitching group. I just want the performance options. I know it is not about price with those options, but I just want the options that make the car work fastest in my environment. I just want to hear the exhaust note whenever I am tracking out.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 PM
frayed
Race Car

ny991. I guess what it boils down to, is the concept that when you are spending 140k on a car, you want it to look and smell like a 140k car. So an extra 3k for leather isn't a big spend to get the interior up to the price tag. Stitching. . . I had deviated in my Ferrari and it looked great. I'm conflicted in the 3, though it would help break up a sea of black with some silver bits.

Quick Reply: New Options in Configurator