Sponsored by:

Chris Harris drives the 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Huh? Oh. I don't think that software update exists.

markow, you know what the solution is; both should be in your stable.
i am a one-car-at-a-time person. MP4-12C or GT3 or F458. need to decide. got dealer holds until monday on all three of them---))) p
Old 06-12-2013, 06:52 PM
frayed
Race Car

991 GT3 or the upcoming 458 Scud!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Dude-
Pro

Nice review. The cars looks very legit.

Can't believe I'll be driving one in Nov-December.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 PM
User 11121
Advanced

Originally Posted by dewuser
Damn, a bit disappointed with the review given the overwhelming anticipation from GT3 fans & enthusiasts. Seemed like the crew was rushed, either to be the first to review the car or they only had limited time (and possibly a combination of both). There was so much to cover, but they just skimmed the surface. No track test, no performance figures (braking distance, lateral G's, etc.) Overall, it appears he is pleased but resents the lack of heritage lost in the quest for extra performance. I don't know what to make of it. I was expecting the Harris review of the 991 GT3 to be one for the books, remembered as one of his best, but it was lacking that magical automotive bliss especially for such a legendary car.
Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
hmmm....its a first take...limited access....6 wks before wider release.....I'll take it as a bloody good trailer...
Originally Posted by Macca
Chris will run a full features style commentary in August. This test drive was entirely unplanned. I believe they were given only 2-3 hours to set up shots (roadside) and make the footage. It was very rushed and totally unscripted, but whos going to say no to such an opportunity.
To both Bill_C4S & Macca:Thanks for bringing that to my attention. And upon close inspection of the video, Chris did mention "This isn't quite one of our normal videos. It's was a smash and grab effort shot on my own".
My faith has been restored.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jumper. I agree the rear rotors will be a faster wear item than in previous generation GT3 due to the PTV etc. I dont think tyres or other commensurable will be any different than a 997.2 GT3 driven hard. I guess on the upside clutches will last longer! The CL is also quite extensively revised from the 997 GT3 so hopefully that wont prove a headache like with the last generation....real it just comes down to stick vs PDK and I think many will be surprised that PDK is probably suited to aggressive driving more than they had anticipated. Its probably the slower windy uncrowded roads taken at leisure on a weekend where the stick will be most missed...
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Harris knows his fan base and he is aware many of them are MT diehards. He was doing his best to not let the MT supporters down but the car was just too good. He offered them a luke warm endorsement of MT but went on to say the PDK was not only better in performance but more fun!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though advance deposits on the 991 GT3 are apparently low, I'll bet this pup kicks butt when available.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

The only issue I have is the lack of sport buckets in the US. Notice the 918 seat in the review car. Hopefully, that will make it over at some point.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You will get your bucket seat rest assured...

In the meantime read the full write up below - it adds alot of weight to the brief home made video. In the end the only thing Harris laments is the passing of the manual box into Porsche GT history, not for its technical prowess but because unlike many here (including myself) he has mastered its use to such a degree that the new PDK-S makes most of what he has learnt appear suddenly redundant....I think we all agree to differing degrees but there are no options this time around.

PS. Since I emailed this out to a few of my colleagues "down under" two have now contacted their Porsche dealer to get on the waiting list. Harris seems to have alot of followers...

Read and enjoy....
Attached Images        
Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I heard him say 'optional 20" wheels'. Maybe there is hope. . .
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You will get your bucket seat rest assured...

In the meantime read the full write up below - it adds alot of weight to the brief home made video. In the end the only thing Harris laments is the passing of the manual box into Porsche GT history, not for its technical prowess but because unlike many here (including myself) he has mastered its use to such a degree that the new PDK-S makes most of what he has learnt appear suddenly redundant....I think we all agree to differing degrees but there are no options this time around.

PS. Since I emailed this out to a few of my colleagues "down under" two have now contacted their Porsche dealer to get on the waiting list. Harris seems to have alot of followers...

Read and enjoy....

That is lame Macca...
Let it rest in peace...we're not going to get our manual and so be it! But please lets not insult each others intelligence...
No matter what you say,you simply can not impose your opinion just as sure Porsche can not!
We might learn to live with it you know...it's not like a life and death situation,but for now the disappointment prevails.

Last edited by neanicu; 06-12-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I heard him say 'optional 20" wheels'. Maybe there is hope. . .
I think that was a mistake on his part. The wheels on the car he was driving were standard. The options are for silver painted wheels or in September black painted wheels.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Pingo
Shut up and drive .......
Yes, that is it.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Even though advance deposits on the 991 GT3 are apparently low, I'll bet this pup kicks butt when available.
I don't know where your info on desposits is coming from. From what I've heard and read most dealers have more deposits than they have likely allocations. I agree about the butt kicking part.....
Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

As a newbie I had many questions, some of which I asked on other threads.. Such as..

-why is the mezger engine so special.. I was told Wikipedia was the answer.
-why everyone thought the 991 gt3 was not as desirable as the 997.1-.2 as it lacked a manual transmission...
-why was the 991 not considered a "real" gt3.. Answer was that cup car was still using the mezger engine ....ergo...
-whether depreciation was going to be relatively minor in 1st year.. Repsonses was 15-20% BC it would not hold value like manual cars...

While all answers are appreciated, this video helps me realize how much emotion is tied up in history, and therefore how it colors responses. In the Ducati world I come from, when the avantgarde 999 replaced the 916 series.. Claims of mutiny erupted. When the frameless wet-clutch Panigale cme out... Screams of despair and allegiance to the old traditional 1198 could be heard. The more things change... The more they stay the same...

After watching this video, I'm really happy about the deposit for the 991 GT3 I hold, and while it may end up costing approx $30k more than the used $110k gt3 997.2 cars I see around.. I think the summer 2014 wait and the price premium should be worth it. Onwards and upwards gents...

Quick Reply: Chris Harris drives the 991 GT3