Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: MANUAL or PDK?
MANUAL
55.90%
PDK-S
44.10%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

POLL : MANUAL or PDK. UPDATED-POLL INCLUDED-PLEASE VOTE.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:40 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay NZ
Haha re the grannies. I assume you're also kidding when you compare tip to pdk!

If the poll was:

a/ Currently in a manual car but VOTING PDK-S
b/ Currently in a manual car and VOTING MANUAL
c/ Currently in a PDK/Tip car but VOTING MANUAL
d/ Currently in a PDK/Tip car and VOTING PDK-S

then that would approximate* to:

a/ PDK-S new believers
b/ die-hard manuals
c/ Manual believers & PDK is BS.
d/ PDK believers

*= very approximate! (no flames)
I like that thought. However, just to make it more complicated, my preferences aren't that black and white. I would never have bought my 1M if it weren't a manual, yet enjoyed 'paddling' in my GTR to bits. But never ever use the same paddles in the FX50s. And can't wait for my 458 'Scuderia' to arrive with those big ears behind the steering wheel too.

So, I don't see myself as all-out MT or PDK guy, even though, being presented with an option, I certainly would have ordered my 991 GT3 with a manual.

Can anybody tell me where I belong? Ah well, maybe I just don't want to be put into one of the 4 boxes?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
I like that thought. However, just to make it more complicated, my preferences aren't that black and white. I would never have bought my 1M if it weren't a manual, yet enjoyed 'paddling' in my GTR to bits. But never ever use the same paddles in the FX50s. And can't wait for my 458 'Scuderia' to arrive with those big ears behind the steering wheel too.

So, I don't see myself as all-out MT or PDK guy, even though, being presented with an option, I certainly would have ordered my 991 GT3 with a manual.

Can anybody tell me where I belong? Ah well, maybe I just don't want to be put into one of the 4 boxes?
It would seem given the option you're a manual guy. Where you like a car and paddles are the only option, you're happy to paddle- nothing wrong with that... There's no need to find an explanation in any case. Why should we fit into one box only?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3

Since this was a great idea, how about two more polls for CL vs. 5 lug and RWS vs. No RWS?
That's a good idea MM3.9GT3!
I haven't thought of that,I pretty much focused on the transmission, we all know as this being one of the biggest moves Porsche made in their history,I guess along with switching from air cooled to water cooled.
When it comes to CLs I believe folks will most likely choose a 5 lug set up,as CLs don't seem to bring any benefit,just headaches...but then again...you never know...
RWS is a new system whose reliability and practicality haven't been tried nor proven,so there're still some questions there remaining to be answered... If I remember correctly,in AP's last interview,he said they're still debating whether there should be an On/Off switch for the system. So it's all up in the air I guess...
Please feel free to set up a POLL for these if you'd like...
Thanks.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I greatly trust and value your opinion as I can't make this opinion due to my issues. However I tell those that want the ultimate raw bones sport car experience that there are a lot of older nice Porsches for sale. I see a lot of these great older Porsches still running strong at DE and club race events.
I understand where you're coming from. I do not have the same physical limitation as you that keeps me from driving a manual transmission car. But I suffer from really bad nerve pain due to bad disks in my neck that wasn't fixed by surgery and although the doc wants me to try again, I know that fusion is rarely permanent so for me a car equipped with pdk is the best long term solution. A decade ago I would never imagine owning a sports car that didn't have a manual transmission and now I can't imagine owning one with it.

Driving manual is no longer fun for me when pain gets in the way and I don't think other DE drivers would want me popping extra pain killers on the track and being in their group just so that I could drive stick. With pdk, I can suck it up enough without having to take medication then when I get home I can take my meds and pass out. I wish Porsche would offer both to please everyone.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay NZ
Haha re the grannies. I assume you're also kidding when you compare tip to pdk!

If the poll was:

a/ Currently in a manual car but VOTING PDK-S
b/ Currently in a manual car and VOTING MANUAL
c/ Currently in a PDK/Tip car but VOTING MANUAL
d/ Currently in a PDK/Tip car and VOTING PDK-S

then that would approximate* to:

a/ PDK-S new believers
b/ die-hard manuals
c/ Manual believers & PDK is BS.
d/ PDK believers

*= very approximate! (no flames)
I am just saying that anyone who only buy's automatics, even as bad a tiptronic is. Would love PDK and vote/buy it. These people are a lot larger market then the manual market. The GT3 has never had the choice so now with the choice it will flood the poll with votes that are not really PDK specific because these people would have bought a tiptronic GT3 if they were given the choice and PDK wasn't available.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Sadly most new GT3 buyers are not on this forum.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

After driving manuals in 911s for decades on street and track, I now drive a 991 Carrera S and Panamera S with PDK on street and track. I believe the PDK is a better choice both for beginning students and highly skilled track pros. In contrast with the earlier Tiptronic, which used a "slushbox" Torque converter, the PDK is actually an automated manual. I can hear and feel each gear it shifts into, and it does it better and faster than I can, even after many years of racing Turbos and high HP N/A large block cars with manual trannies. In the heat of battle, it is VERY easy to overrev and the PDK protects against it. Its computer keeps me in the optimum part of the Torque range on downshifts and upshifts
at precisely the right time for max power. It is FAR easier for new students to progress up the ladder
of track skill, and makes a good driver better. But it can also be driven as a manual in the manual
lever position using the paddle shifters. I often do that when bored on the street as a DD. On the track,
after much experimentation trying to beat the computer, I simply let it do its thing. Its better than me!
The lack of a clutch pedal allows me to do left foot braking, which gives me a whole new dimension
in car control around turns. You want challenge? Practice that - you will find plenty of challenge
teaching your left foot to do what your right foot learned a long time ago.
Re CL vs 5 Lug, I much prefer the simplicity and security of standard 5 Lug fitting.
Re Rear Wheel Steering, none of us can make any intelligent comment since we have never tried it and have no idea what it feels like or drives like. I'm looking forward to that experience.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
After driving manuals in 911s for decades on street and track, I now drive a 991 Carrera S and Panamera S with PDK on street and track. I believe the PDK is a better choice both for beginning students and highly skilled track pros. In contrast with the earlier Tiptronic, which used a "slushbox" Torque converter, the PDK is actually an automated manual. I can hear and feel each gear it shifts into, and it does it better and faster than I can, even after many years of racing Turbos and high HP N/A large block cars with manual trannies. In the heat of battle, it is VERY easy to overrev and the PDK protects against it. Its computer keeps me in the optimum part of the Torque range on downshifts and upshifts
at precisely the right time for max power. It is FAR easier for new students to progress up the ladder
of track skill, and makes a good driver better. But it can also be driven as a manual in the manual
lever position using the paddle shifters. I often do that when bored on the street as a DD. On the track,
after much experimentation trying to beat the computer, I simply let it do its thing. Its better than me!
The lack of a clutch pedal allows me to do left foot braking, which gives me a whole new dimension
in car control around turns. You want challenge? Practice that - you will find plenty of challenge
teaching your left foot to do what your right foot learned a long time ago.
Re CL vs 5 Lug, I much prefer the simplicity and security of standard 5 Lug fitting.
Re Rear Wheel Steering, none of us can make any intelligent comment since we have never tried it and have no idea what it feels like or drives like. I'm looking forward to that experience.
I agree completely. I have a new Audi RS5 DD with the new Audi PDK equivalent and am getting used to the system, I like it. I am also going to upgrade my 997.2 cup to paddle shifters, I think it's the way of the future. I am reluctant to give up on decades of training on a manual but the combination of no-lift up shifting, blipped down shifts with no chance of over revs, and easier left foot braking is just too attractive to pass up.
Rear wheel steering? let's wait and see. At initial glance I like the idea of having less rear toe when it's not needed as it's like dragging an anchor. We'll just have to wait to see how it works on the track...
Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

go to a dealer and try to shift that 7 speed 'manual' they got - it has slightly different pattern of how you move stick going over 2-3-4 gears, it is not same linear movement as it was, I was not very impressed, at least it felt like this, I tried to shift like in my car just pushing stick down and forward between 3rd and 4th and it did not go, it was quite a weird feeling. but may be it was just a bad sample of a car, who knows.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado

...label this new car for what it really is -- the 991 GTS-R w/ Aerokit.
This.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

If offered a choice, I would select PDK. Three knee operations ago I may have answered differently. In any event, there should be a choice.

If I decide not to take my allocation, it will be due to the 20" wheels and the center lock hubs. I would not select RWS if offered as an option, but it's not a deal killer for me.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
If offered a choice, I would select PDK. Three knee operations ago I may have answered differently. In any event, there should be a choice.

If I decide not to take my allocation, it will be due to the 20" wheels and the center lock hubs. I would not select RWS if offered as an option, but it's not a deal killer for me.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

We've reached 100 votes guys!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Manual for me. I did not even consider putting a deposit down for the 991GT3.

Currently I am not interested in the PDK GT3. I am so old school, I did not like the electronic nannies in my 997.1 RS. I sold it and got my 996 GT3 back. As the other GT3's get faster, I just need to get better as a driver to keep up in my 996GT3.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I voted PDK-S. All the cars I've ever bought, excluding those I share with my wife, have been manual. However, if I were buying a car that would be tracked, I'd prefer PDK-S as it would give me one less thing to worry about on the track. I much prefer a manual for street only cars.

Quick Reply: POLL : MANUAL or PDK. UPDATED-POLL INCLUDED-PLEASE VOTE.