Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new GT3 not from original GT1 engine-what can we expect?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:57 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new GT3 not from original GT1 engine-what can we expect?

Up to now all the GT3 iterations were based on the GT1 engine. What can we expect from the 991 GT3 ?

Last edited by LonnieR; 06-13-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

This will be an entertaining thread

PS. IMHO it will turn out to be the best street legal engine ever built by Porsche. Designed with decades of experience gained from the Mezger engine built with today's technology.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

What we know for sure: The engine revs higher, makes more power, is lighter, more efficient, and the car it powers will be faster. Anything else at this point is pure speculation.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:25 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss

PS. IMHO it will turn out to be the best street legal engine ever built by Porsche. Designed with decades of experience gained from the Mezger engine built with today's technology.
+1. Nothing else to say!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

This is a quote from something I wrote in a different thread,personal opinion of course :

Quote de neanicu:

'' Ok,let's get technical a bit here...my favorite part.
I'm sure most people here know how a direct injection engine works,but for those that don't an explanation wouldn't hurt...
The Mezger engine was using regular injection,which means the fuel injectors were spraying fuel into the intake,where it mixed with air and being sucked into the combustion chamber thru the intake valves where the spark plug fired.
A direct injection engine is not new technology,it has been used many years ago but proved unreliable. This was due to the old technology it was using.
Today's direct injection engines are a different story.
A direct injection engine has the fuel injectors spraying high pressure fuel directly into the combustion chamber,where mixed with air and spark plugs firing produces combustion.
Today's direct injection engines are a lot more reliable due to the technology advancement. High heat resistant injectors,due to their placement directly into the combustion chamber,new and improved ECU mapping,the use of new high pressure fuel lines combined with 2 or even 3 high pressure fuel pumps etc.
I'm sure you have a valid point with other manufacturers using direct injection,but for a flat 6 Porsche engine that needs to be reliable,fuel efficient and make a stand in racing,it was a really HUGE move IMO. A move that will take more than a few years to adapt in all applications,especially in a racing car!
The good news : a direct injection engine has HUGE potential in terms of power and torque! We're talking 600-700 HP easy from a high revving NA engine.
One last point! Porsche can not rely only on their engineers,they are using lots and lots of parts from different manufacturers that sometime prove to be the weak link.
So IMO,Porsche is very smart for not jumping and putting this new engine in a Cup car right away. ''

My conclusion : 997 RS 4.0 last displacement for the Mezger...not much more power to be obtained from a NA traditional fuel injection engine.
High revving direct injection capable of more power and torque with the right technology involved.
Mezger was bound to be terminated no matter what.
I can't wait to see the new engine in a CUP so that we'll have proof whether it is racing worthy.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:53 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

DI is old technology. Diesel engines have been running it for over 70 years.

Peter
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
DI is old technology. Diesel engines have been running it for over 70 years.

Peter
Right! I've stated that in my description :

Quote de neanicu :
''A direct injection engine is not new technology,it has been used many years ago but proved unreliable. This was due to the old technology it was using.
Today's direct injection engines are a different story.''

P.S. Also worth mentioning diesel DI is not the same as gas. Diesel engines are high compression engines and there's a lot less stress/temperature
put on injectors,especially those mechanical ones you bring up from the 70s.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss

agree 100%. If I want to compete in Vintage Racing the 996 and 997 is just fine. Moving forward ONLY keeping up with new technology will keep the GT3 close to the others.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

If this engine is anything like the 9A1 engine then it will be spectacular!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah. Nice to hear some positive comments for once. This engine will appear in 2014 Cup mark my words. It will be announced with 991 GT3RS and will complete the motorsport connection again for the GT3 lineage. By that time early GT3 owners will be living proof the engine has character, reliability and power one would imagine.

DI has been used in diesel application for a few decades in commercially available utility vehicles, however a diesel engine is quite a different design (no spark plugs of distributor for a start) so teh challenges to get DFI functioning reliably in a benzine engine has really only occurred in the last half a dozen years. DFI petrol engines are still a very new thing in mainstream motor racing but the automotive world is moving at a very fast pace all of a sudden with hybrid, electric, KERs etc
Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry, not trying to bash the new GT3 at all, but still I do not understand the following:
If the new GT3 engine will appear in the 2014 Cup, why is 2013 Cup using the old engine?
Thanks for your collective thoughts,
w
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

DFI simply wasn't ready in time. The Motorsports division were reportedly given a volume of engine (Mezger) units last year to hold them over (and for spares). This was a planned transition....
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given from where? They build their own in motorsport at weissach.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry - they have enough engines for the serial GT3 production, but not 100 odd units for the Supercup vehicles - as to my understanding 991 Cup is going to be raced only in Supercup in 2013?
This argument is not something I am comfortable with.
And when asked directly in the EVO video, Mr. Preuninger chose not to answer the above question.
I am trying to not to be unduly negative towards Porsche, and I am all for fiscal efficiency, however I am sad that we are not given the actual reason.
Best, w
Old 03-19-2013, 03:10 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I think people have been reading into too much what Preuninger said and did not say in the EVO interview. The most likely reason he did not answer the Cup engine question is that he can't. Not because he does not know, but because he is not allowed.

Quick Reply: new GT3 not from original GT1 engine-what can we expect?