Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Hmmm...I wonder if THIS is the GT3, with a lightly modified 9A1 under the lid...and the original subject car of this thread...including the details...new engine, etc...is the RS?
No. They wouldn't make the GT3 look boring (I hate the idea of smaller/active wings on GT3s) and make the RS look like the old GT3. It would be a marketing disaster. If anything, the RS's have been getting more like racecars in appearance/aero package.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Trakcar you are so full of CL !!!

I have seen you changing wheels, it takes forever.

Do you want to challenge me on who can change wheels faster, torqued to specs?

My Cayman 5 lugs vs. your Aero Beetle, loser pays for drinks. All four corners.

My tools: 1 Floor Jack, a 1/2" torque wrench, a 1/2" Cordless Impact Wrench, (2) 19mm sockets, a pair of gloves, and my iPhone StopWatch.

Even better, I bet two 4-wheel changes against you single set attempt, 2 bar tabs. No help from anyone, no prep work either.

Are you in?

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It's on.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice info Slow, I look forward to more details

Reference the GT2RS I was instructing in the car when it had its failure and will release the cause when I'm allowed to, stay tuned.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:30 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
somebody call the "SPeed CHannel"!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i vunder the curb weight given all the changes. PDK gotta add some weight right?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,695 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
#392/#395 https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...recall-27.html

Crickets in response to my request for details in that thread.

The owner's reputation or his supposed maintenance schedule is not material, pics and details are the facts worth knowing

Had I not spent many years living in the south, I would have otherwise taken "son" to be derogatory. But I know you meant it as a term of endearment
Yes, it was a term of endearment, bubba. But you need to slow your roll. Your thread (which I did not see) is the very same car. Apparently the owner is not on here, and the rest of us, who were there (including BlackRain who was in the right seat) are not going to post pics or anything else, because it is not our place. The FACT is the hub failed. He does everything he is supposed to do regarding centerlocks--I have personally seen him do it countless times. Porsche also warns that this is a failure item...AND IT IS!

I believe you that it happened, but why and what happened? Just because he had a good maint schedule does not mean he cant have a brain fart and forget to lock a wheel.
Oh come on. You are so invested in your omniscient "I am unaware of any RS hubs failing" BS that your mind is closed. Are you actually blaming the owner, who is about as fastidious as they come, for what Porsche has publicly stated is an URGENT failure item? of course anyone can have a brain fart. However, we are already starting behind the 8 ball, since Porsche reluctantly admitted CL's are ****.

Good grief.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-19-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Expect a weight decrease of around 80-90lb over the outgoing 997.2 GT3 even with the PDK onboard is what I have been led to expect. Even at the same weight as outgoing 997.2 GT3RS with the new chasis, PDK, 9000rpm and new engine making 450+ bhp we should see a dramatic improvement in performance on paper and around the usual haunts such as The Ring and Porsche test track etc...
Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, but that 4200 mile thing is a lawyery issue. GT3's only, RS unaffected and never seen an issue first hand. I spent above average time around CL RS cars. So what happened to the GT2RS besides stopping dead on the track? That means nothing to me. What broke, what it look like? I have to see things to believe them, but I can listen to an accurate description of cause and result.
It may be a lawyery issue but it will apply to ALL centrelock cars... Porsche are just sleeping on the job and haven't INFORMED all customers. Case and point, torque spec increased to 600Nm in Sept 2010 and dealers notified... Customers notified via manual insert in June 2011!!!

Pars on RS are no different now and if maintenance is required for GT3, bet your bottom dollar it will be for RS too... Written to them, awaiting response on why they are dragging their asses on this!...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

On Centerlocks:

I now have about 80 track days on my 2010 RS. That includes 15 races. I drive on Michelin Slicks or rains and SS on the street. I use Forgeline Centerlock 3 piece wheels on track. I have had no issues with Centerlocks and of the dozen 2010, 2011 RS in our region, none have had a problem. At the same time, 3 GT3s have had issues although two of them had seriously overtorqued the wheels. At my last inspection in the fall, we decided to replace the drive spindles (red things) because they were a bit worn on the front wheels - I assume race braking on slicks works them pretty hard.

So am I happy with CL wheels? No, not because I'm worried about losing a wheel but because changing wheels is longer (sorry Peter) and there is a lot more maintenance than good old 5 lugs.

Best,
Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 782 Posts

VR, don't twist words, I did not blame anyone.
Enough with the vagueries, you can describe or show pics without anyone knowing what car or where or whom, just share if you are so worried about CL's you dont have.
If Porsche admits they are **** they would not be on the 991.

Chris, I am sure the lawyers will find something to do and to bill, but nothing yet. Look they also recommend the front hubs and a front hub has NEVER failed!
One RS failing without any knowledge why is not enough for me to say I dont like CL's. I accept GT3's failing as a defect that was solved on the cars involved.

It just does not bother me at all, they are easy peasy like 5 lugs and I can only speak about personal experience that I had trouble with 5 lugs and I dont with CL's.
Again, if they cost money I would not order them as an option. Maybe even order 5 lugs to save a few dollars on tools, I dont love CL, but I think people changing hubs on low milage lightly or not tracked CL cars are just wasting money and devaluating the cars to lesser informed buyers by overreacting for no good reason or just being scared into worrying about a 600nm torque bar.

Just my opinion that most disagree with and I can understand your point.
If you tarck a car enough, even 5 lug or CUP hubs time out.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 213 Posts

Yeah keep Cl's I need a laugh at the paddock : ). Mike
Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,695 Likes on 875 Posts

Whatever you say, bro...

By the way, it is irrelevant that I do not currently own a car with CL's. I ride in enough of them every week of the year and have enough of a self-preservation instinct that their inherent ****tyness is of great concern to me. Now, if Porsche had equipped the cars with the CL's from the Cup cars, or the Carrera GT, I'd rest easier. But insterad, they chose this faux Rube Goldbergesque abortion of gears, springs, and interlocking gizmos that now appears to be a real failure risk...something I don't wish to experience.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-19-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We should get back to the new Porsche 991 GT3 no?

Where is that video please?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:32 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES, video please please .....
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
No. They wouldn't make the GT3 look boring (I hate the idea of smaller/active wings on GT3s) and make the RS look like the old GT3. It would be a marketing disaster. If anything, the RS's have been getting more like racecars in appearance/aero package.
I'm not so sure. The car with what apears to be a duck tail + smaller (active?) wing, without the big intake, and with centerlocks, is very similar to many, many other 991 prototypes caught on camera, and this one appears to be near production-ready. If it isn't a GT3, what is it?

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!