Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

I know of several that have had issues, including a GT2RS
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
You guys are whining like little girl who just found out that her favourite lollipop flavour of strawberries and cream has just been replaced with double strawberries and cream...

PDK and paddleshift vs manual. Let me phrase this so that even Americans understand: Would you really like to fight against automatic assault rifles with a magazineless bolt-lock one?? The loading feeling of the latter might be authentic, genuine, original and true to tradition, but you'd find yourself dead pretty soon...

Centerlocks. The majority of GT3's with centerlocks have kept their wheels on. You just have to use proper tools and procedures for the job to be done correctly. Don't blame the mirror if you don't like the picture you see.

Engine. Most likely a magnificent one (again) even though it might have some relation to 9A1. It'll be a continuation to Porsche's proud racing heritage, just wait and see.

20" wheels. It's the future and although 19" would/will fit the chassis is tuned to those.

Exterior. Not much to complaint. As stated from previous posts the final verion will be slightly different ( Read: Even more awesome.) Again just wait the Geneva show...

Exterior. OK, here's something to improve. Although the center console has family connection to Carrera GT it's IMO to much...I hope that the RS has more simple one.

All above just my 2 cents...
PDK vs Manual - for those who can't shift or drive, yes PDK good. Fun ? Manual

Centerlock - Maybe you never heard about the NON RS problems .... right procedure done, wheels flying around ?

Engine - time will tell
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I like CL, I dont see the problem. I change them just as fast a 5 lugs no biggie.

If they were optional I would not pay extra for them, but they dont bother me at all. Never had any issues and I dont know of any RS that has problems.

Let me know when I can rent your GTS for a day to test PDK, I think it will bore me but I need a day in your car to decide. If I break it I buy it and it will be insured.
So you change them by your self with no help. How much did the tools set you back?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup. As I said, if this spec is true, Porsche is equipping the car as it believes its intended buyer pool wants.
Well maybe Porsche will give the buyer a $$$credit$$$ towards Bose delete to use at the local hoopde stereo shop?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I know of several that have had issues, including a GT2RS
Nobody ever gave me first hand info to tell me that they broke. If you dont lock them (I have seen a TON of cars with unlocked wheels) than yes they can break. If you only put 2 bolts in your 5 lock you's have iddues also.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
So you change them by your self with no help. How much did the tools set you back?
Pedal stop is $15-$50. Torque wrench is $350?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
We all change the CL wheels by ourselves. $365 torque wrench $24 tube of Optimally grease and the $25 truck brake pedal depresser.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

So why are you bitching? You drive a $125K GTS and letting me drive it for a day?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
You seem to have completely missed the point on the CL. The point is that they are a PITA, and for NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER!!!! They don't do anything but require more effort to change, don't shed any weight, require more maintenance, have shorter life span, and add more risk.
I like CLs. They look cool at cars and coffee. Otherwise, can't argue with any of the above.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Bunch of whiners..
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know when I can rent your GTS for a day to test PDK, I think it will bore me but I need a day in your car to decide. If I break it I buy it and it will be insured.
I tracked a C4S and Boxster Spyder with PDK, it's great. Listening to it bang off rev-matched downshifts as you focus on braking and turn in are luxurious. Most trackers can't heel-toe, so having the tranny do that will avoid a lot of spins. The PDK will up/downshift at various times, sometimes mid-corner! But it never upsets the car, it's eerie.

There is no doubt with the same driver/car, a PDK will be at least a couple seconds faster on let's say a 2:30 course.

Fuel mileage on a PDK car is light years ahead of a six-speed equipped car. Sixth gear on a GT3RS at 75 mph is something around 3100 rpm as I recall? You are gulping fuel at that rpm vs a loafing 1600-1800 in the 7th gear of a PDK.

The clutches/throw-out bearings on the GT cars are a long standing trouble spot. Good f'ing riddance to them I say. The PDK is an oil bath clutch and will likely last 100k+ miles. And you can't money-shift a PDK, it's not possible.

If you are an analog kinda person, then you'll need to go find a stick shift, and that's that. But if you mainly care about lap times, yet primarily drive on the street, and that seems to be the bulk of the posters here, then you'll want a PDK. If I only had one choice, I'd pick the PDK without a second thought and never look back with any regret.

Nizer made a good but sad point- Porsche will for sure stick the financial rod up our butts and make the "Sport Plus" button, which unlocks the PDK full potential, a multi-thousand dollar option. If there is one thing that has really soured me from the Porsche brand it is the mark-up on options which is obscene to anyone who understands the nature of what they are paying the extra thousands for. Shameless.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Nobody ever gave me first hand info to tell me that they broke.
Well, gosh, Peter, you are no the only person in the world, now are you?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Most trackers can't heel-toe, so having the tranny do that will avoid a lot of spins.
Most college kids can't spell, so having spell check do that will avoid a lot of bad grades.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Pete, I have to give it a try for final judgement, but when I hear a PDK downshift on the track by itself I cringe. I think I might get bored. Im renting a GTS soon to find out.

I dont care about milage, but i wish I could get more fuel in it, 45 track minutes per tank is not enough.

Yes, manuals need a new PP and throwout bearing every 5K-10K track miles so about $1000.00 per year. So far all warranty for me. Annoying but no biggie. Never money shifted, but it can happen!

Agreed the pricing is getting a little nuts. Entry level GT3 for say $150MSRP to get the max performace options? Its starting to sound like real money.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 02-19-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
We all change the CL wheels by ourselves. $365 torque wrench $24 tube of Optimally grease and the $25 truck brake pedal depresser.
I haven't seen any issues with CL's over here on any of the road cars.

However, I don't like them much either. Its a weakness in the Porsche. Even in the Cup car, I've had it happen 2 times in my past 3 race weekends where at some point in the weekend someone forgets to use the torque wrench and just uses the air gun and the wheel gets loose.

They are very pretty though.

5 lug is dead IMO.

BTW the 7 speed manual in the 991 in full sport+ mode does an automatic blip when you shift. Its funky. I bet if the gt3 gets a manual it will have the same feature.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!